vista is installed now XP

hanhare

vista is installed now XP
My computer has two SATA harddrives. At the one harddrive Vista is
installed, the other harddrive is empty but formatted NFTTS..

Now I try to install XP at the second drive. But whatever I try, every time
I get the message at startup: "BOOTMGR is missing, press CTR ALT DEL to
restart". Even if I remove the harddrive on which Vista is installed!

Is something changed in the BIOS?

UnswoleLilDude

Re: vista is installed now XP
Install XP first, then install Vista.

--

MAXIMUMpcguides.com
Helping you get the MOST out of your Vista PC.

--

"hanhare" <hanhare@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:46796133$0$25496$9a622dc7@news.kpnplanet.nl.. .
> My computer has two SATA harddrives. At the one harddrive Vista is
> installed, the other harddrive is empty but formatted NFTTS..
>
> Now I try to install XP at the second drive. But whatever I try, every
> time I get the message at startup: "BOOTMGR is missing, press CTR ALT DEL
> to restart". Even if I remove the harddrive on which Vista is installed!
>
> Is something changed in the BIOS?

Peter

Re: vista is installed now XP
One should always install the systems in ascending order, i.e. oldest system
first.

However there are ways of getting around it. See:
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/vi...c.php?p=607987
and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529 also
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...ter-vista.html

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"hanhare" <hanhare@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:46796133$0$25496$9a622dc7@news.kpnplanet.nl.. .
> My computer has two SATA harddrives. At the one harddrive Vista is
> installed, the other harddrive is empty but formatted NFTTS..
>
> Now I try to install XP at the second drive. But whatever I try, every
> time I get the message at startup: "BOOTMGR is missing, press CTR ALT DEL
> to restart". Even if I remove the harddrive on which Vista is installed!
>
> Is something changed in the BIOS?

andy

Re: vista is installed now XP
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:17:19 +0200, "hanhare" <hanhare@gmail.com>
wrote:

>My computer has two SATA harddrives. At the one harddrive Vista is
>installed, the other harddrive is empty but formatted NFTTS..
>
>Now I try to install XP at the second drive. But whatever I try, every time
>I get the message at startup: "BOOTMGR is missing, press CTR ALT DEL to
>restart". Even if I remove the harddrive on which Vista is installed!

Sounds like you're booting from the hard drive, which has the Vista
boot sector that's looking for bootmgr.

>Is something changed in the BIOS?

WBurchnall

Re: vista is installed now XP

It sounds like you need to adjust your boot order so your dvd-rom/cd-rom
is first device it boots off of so you reach the Windows XP Setup. You
may need to press the 'any' key to get into Windows XP Setup. Just
install windows xp. It won't matter if Vista is already installed.

Once the install is finished, put in your Vista DVD. Enter setup.
Choose Repair My Computer. Choose Command Prompt. Type:

bootrec /nt60 /f all

Ta da, your Vista wil now boot again.
Once in Vista. You just need to open an administrative command prompt
(running cmd as administrator) and type the following three lines:

bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "WindowsXPMyFavoriteBaby"

(Note in quotes you can enter any description you want to show on your
boot loader)

bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=X:\

Note x is the drive letter where your xp install partition show as
within Vista.

bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

Edit your windows xp drive's boot.ini to say x:\ where x is the letter
of your xp drive installatino as it shows in vista instead of
disc(0)drive(0)parition(0)etc.

Tada, dual boot setup. Finished in probably 8 minutes if your decent
with computers. 5 minutes if your fast. No 60 minute reinstalls of both
os's required.

--
WBurchnall