Vista Home Premium to Ultimate Upgrade - NEW Dell

Matt McLelland

Vista Home Premium to Ultimate Upgrade - NEW Dell
I've got a screaming new Dell XPS desktop with Vista Home Premium. Wish I
had the forsight to have purchased this with Ultimate (I'm an "IT Guy" - and
there are features in this that I need at home), but I didn't so I purchased
the Windows Anytime Upgrade from Microsoft.

Downloaded my install file, ran the install, popped in my AnytimeUpgrade
Disk, and let 'er rip. About halfway throught the second step, I get the
"Blue Screen of Death" - with some sort of cryptic IRQL error. Reboot
brought me to a screen that offered 2 choices - continue Windows setup and
boot Vista. First I choose to continue setup, but got the same Blue Screen.
Next tried Vista, and after some lengthy auto-repairs, the old Vista Home
Premium "rolled back" and I was able to recover from this failed upgrade.

Question....this is a stock machine - no changes, clean OS from the Dell, no
new hardware. Does this upgrade process work well? Is it buggy? Should I
try this again or was this a fluke? I can't find many posts on problems with
the Anytime Upgrades, so maybe "its just me". Thoughts / comments?
Mac

Re: Vista Home Premium to Ultimate Upgrade - NEW Dell
Might be related to the way Dell have setup Premium? I'd have a chat with
them...

"Matt McLelland" <MattMcLelland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news214C28B-F9FD-4753-8CB9-70DBC50F04F3@microsoft.com...
> I've got a screaming new Dell XPS desktop with Vista Home Premium. Wish I
> had the forsight to have purchased this with Ultimate (I'm an "IT Guy" -
> and
> there are features in this that I need at home), but I didn't so I
> purchased
> the Windows Anytime Upgrade from Microsoft.
>
> Downloaded my install file, ran the install, popped in my AnytimeUpgrade
> Disk, and let 'er rip. About halfway throught the second step, I get the
> "Blue Screen of Death" - with some sort of cryptic IRQL error. Reboot
> brought me to a screen that offered 2 choices - continue Windows setup and
> boot Vista. First I choose to continue setup, but got the same Blue
> Screen.
> Next tried Vista, and after some lengthy auto-repairs, the old Vista Home
> Premium "rolled back" and I was able to recover from this failed upgrade.
>
> Question....this is a stock machine - no changes, clean OS from the Dell,
> no
> new hardware. Does this upgrade process work well? Is it buggy? Should
> try this again or was this a fluke? I can't find many posts on problems
> with
> the Anytime Upgrades, so maybe "its just me". Thoughts / comments?

Hawk420 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista Home Premium to Ultimate Upgrade - NEW Dell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Might be related to the way Dell have setup Premium? I'd have a chat with
them...

"Matt McLelland" <MattMcLelland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news214C28B-F9FD-4753-8CB9-70DBC50F04F3@microsoft.com...
> I've got a screaming new Dell XPS desktop with Vista Home Premium. Wish I
> had the forsight to have purchased this with Ultimate (I'm an "IT Guy" -
> and
> there are features in this that I need at home), but I didn't so I
> purchased
> the Windows Anytime Upgrade from Microsoft.
>
> Downloaded my install file, ran the install, popped in my AnytimeUpgrade
> Disk, and let 'er rip. About halfway throught the second step, I get the
> "Blue Screen of Death" - with some sort of cryptic IRQL error. Reboot
> brought me to a screen that offered 2 choices - continue Windows setup and
> boot Vista. First I choose to continue setup, but got the same Blue
> Screen.
> Next tried Vista, and after some lengthy auto-repairs, the old Vista Home
> Premium "rolled back" and I was able to recover from this failed upgrade.
>
> Question....this is a stock machine - no changes, clean OS from the Dell,
> no
> new hardware. Does this upgrade process work well? Is it buggy? Should
> try this again or was this a fluke? I can't find many posts on problems
> with
> the Anytime Upgrades, so maybe "its just me". Thoughts / comments?
I just did this upgrade and it seems that the intel chip set version that is installed is not capatible with the "Upgrade" verrsion. You will have to down grade the chipset software or like me just format and re-install.

respect