oem license

dazgreen

oem license
i have a dell dimension 9200 with windows vista CD and CD key stuck to side
but also have a Dell vista CD that dosen't need a CD key to install and work
without a problem (no-cd key no-activation needed)this copy will updates and
passes windows WGA
So is it ok to use this oem installation CD instead of the oem installation
CD I got from dell?
Rick Rogers

Re: oem license
Hi,

The Dell disk (likely a DVD, not a CD) that came with the machine will have
drivers necessary for the hardware on your system. The other may not. By the
way, all copies of Vista now require activation, including enterprise
versions, though some can be delayed beyond the standard 30 days. I'm really
not sure what sort of disk this other one is. It may have a prefilled
product key, but it almost certainly would have to be activated at some
point.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"dazgreen" <dazgreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a dell dimension 9200 with windows vista CD and CD key stuck to side
> but also have a Dell vista CD that dosen't need a CD key to install and
> work
> without a problem (no-cd key no-activation needed)this copy will updates
> and
> passes windows WGA
> So is it ok to use this oem installation CD instead of the oem
> installation
> CD I got from dell?

dazgreen

Re: oem license
The vista DVD i got from dell was part of the express upgrade offer and the
Drivers are on a separate Dell CD
Im only guessing its oem it dose not say oem or Dell anywhere exept on the
DVD lable
id like to know if its legal to run the Dell Copy instead
thay are both 32bit vista home premium edition and work well on my Dell
Dimension 9200 i have stuck the COA sticker to the Case
one
i have to enter cd-key, activate, install the drivers from a seperate CD and
it has no reference to Dell
the one i would like to use
installs with no Key, no activation, Dell Logo in the Welcome Center and
Drivers for my pc on the dvd

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Dell disk (likely a DVD, not a CD) that came with the machine will have
> drivers necessary for the hardware on your system. The other may not. By the
> way, all copies of Vista now require activation, including enterprise
> versions, though some can be delayed beyond the standard 30 days. I'm really
> not sure what sort of disk this other one is. It may have a prefilled
> product key, but it almost certainly would have to be activated at some
> point.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "dazgreen" <dazgreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have a dell dimension 9200 with windows vista CD and CD key stuck to side
> > but also have a Dell vista CD that dosen't need a CD key to install and
> > work
> > without a problem (no-cd key no-activation needed)this copy will updates
> > and
> > passes windows WGA
> > So is it ok to use this oem installation CD instead of the oem
> > installation
> > CD I got from dell?

sgilz

Re: oem license
If that Dell Express upgrade disk does have a license, but if your using it
to upgrade from XP, I don't think it will prompt to enter the key. Unless
your saying you used it on a clean install and it didn't prompt for the
lisence...?
This is because the image that is factory installed does not require you
enter the key. It is pre-loaded in the bios as well as hard drive. If you
were to reformat the drive you would erase this key, and at next reinstall it
would prompt you for license.
So as long as you use it on a Dell system, without erasing the image first,
it will pre load the one stored on the hard drive.