Error upgrading to Vista Ultimate

Sharkey

Error upgrading to Vista Ultimate
Howdy,

I'm trying to upgrade from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate, and seem to be hitting
a fantastic BSOD. I admittedly do not really know what I'm doing, so please
be kind.

I get to the very end of the setup process, then land the
"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error. It is the "STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000,
0x0000001B, 0x00000001, 0x81829194)" error, which is then promptly followed
by a crash dump.

From what I can find on the subject, this means driver issues. Further, I've
found a few things that seem to point specifically towards issues with my
Realtek AC'97. I have the updated Vista drivers for it, which I of course
cannot install until I complete a Vista installation. Uninstalling the
Realtek drivers did not help, so maybe it's something else.

There is a workaround here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935806/en-us
(about 1/4 down the page)

That workaround has a scary warning on it that gives someone like me who
doesn't know what he's doing pause. Is that workaround a good idea? Are there
other things I should try? Is Vista even worth it? (I'm beginning to suspect
not, but not ready to admit defeat yet.)

Thanks a bunch,
-JS
Rick Rogers

Re: Error upgrading to Vista Ultimate
Hi,

Yes, the error code generally indicates a hardware driver issue. As to the
warning in that article, simply disconnect the internet connection during
setup if it is not protected by an external firewall or router. On the sound
card, if you suspect it to be the problem, disable it in the system BIOS
during setup to prevent it from being detected. You may also want to check
for a BIOS update and disable rom shadowing (if you are able to).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sharkey" <Sharkey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate, and seem to be
> hitting
> a fantastic BSOD. I admittedly do not really know what I'm doing, so
> please
> be kind.
>
> I get to the very end of the setup process, then land the
> "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error. It is the "STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000,
> 0x0000001B, 0x00000001, 0x81829194)" error, which is then promptly
> followed
> by a crash dump.
>
> From what I can find on the subject, this means driver issues. Further,
> I've
> found a few things that seem to point specifically towards issues with my
> Realtek AC'97. I have the updated Vista drivers for it, which I of course
> cannot install until I complete a Vista installation. Uninstalling the
> Realtek drivers did not help, so maybe it's something else.
>
> There is a workaround here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935806/en-us
> (about 1/4 down the page)
>
> That workaround has a scary warning on it that gives someone like me who
> doesn't know what he's doing pause. Is that workaround a good idea? Are
> there
> other things I should try? Is Vista even worth it? (I'm beginning to
> suspect
> not, but not ready to admit defeat yet.)
>
> Thanks a bunch,
> -JS

R. C. White

Re: Error upgrading to Vista Ultimate
Hi, Sharkey.

My AMD Athlon 64 X2 computer also has a motherboard with Realtek AC'97 audio
onboard. Immediately after Vista Setup completed, there was no sound. But
my first visit to Windows Update found and automatically installed the
proper driver for the Realtek; within 15 minutes of Setup, my sound was
working. I never had to visit the Realtek website. (There may be some
better driver there, but I'm no audiophile and what I hear on my 2 speakers
(+bass) sounds good to me.)

Rick's advice should get Vista installed for you, using default drivers. WU
should then find any available updates.

Let us know how all this works out for you. Other users will be interested
to know. And in a newsgroup, we all learn from each other. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Sharkey" <Sharkey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate, and seem to be
> hitting
> a fantastic BSOD. I admittedly do not really know what I'm doing, so
> please
> be kind.
>
> I get to the very end of the setup process, then land the
> "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error. It is the "STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000,
> 0x0000001B, 0x00000001, 0x81829194)" error, which is then promptly
> followed
> by a crash dump.
>
> From what I can find on the subject, this means driver issues. Further,
> I've
> found a few things that seem to point specifically towards issues with my
> Realtek AC'97. I have the updated Vista drivers for it, which I of course
> cannot install until I complete a Vista installation. Uninstalling the
> Realtek drivers did not help, so maybe it's something else.
>
> There is a workaround here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935806/en-us
> (about 1/4 down the page)
>
> That workaround has a scary warning on it that gives someone like me who
> doesn't know what he's doing pause. Is that workaround a good idea? Are
> there
> other things I should try? Is Vista even worth it? (I'm beginning to
> suspect
> not, but not ready to admit defeat yet.)
>
> Thanks a bunch,
> -JS

Sharkey

Re: Error upgrading to Vista Ultimate
Hey all,

I ran the workaround from my above post, and surprisingly did not mess it
up. Instead, everything worked! So now I'm just in the process of installing
updates, Vista drivers, etc. But Vista does work! So thanks a bunch for the
help.

-JS