Vista reinstall without a CD drive

Brazmaster

Vista reinstall without a CD drive
My Vista was running weel when, after installed a Pinnacle TV board, my DVD
drive begun not to work anymore. In device manager, the status of
"TSSTcorpCD/DVDW-SHS182D ATA device" reads "Windows couldn´t start this
device because it´s config informations in registry are incomplete or damaged
(code 19)". I don´t know how to rewrite the device registry and I can´t do
restoration to the point before Pinnacle instalation because that point isn´t
available anymore. I´m considering to reinstall the Vista, but how, without a
DVD drive? Help, please... Thanks!

gjbates

Re: Vista reinstall without a CD drive

I had the same error yesterday after upgrading from Home premium to
Business. I eventually disabled the driver on the device manager and
restarted the laptop. Vista reloaded the driver corrected after the
restart.

--
gjbates
gjbates's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26939

http://forums.techarena.in

Richard Urban

Re: Vista reinstall without a CD drive
If you have a retail version of Vista, just boot from the DVD. The fact that
the DVD drive doesn't work within Vista has no bearing what-so-ever on
whether it will work when booting from the drive.

If you can't boot from the DVD you may have to adjust the boot parameters
within the bios. If you still can't boot - the drive has died.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Brazmaster" <Brazmaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Vista was running weel when, after installed a Pinnacle TV board, my
> DVD
> drive begun not to work anymore. In device manager, the status of
> "TSSTcorpCD/DVDW-SHS182D ATA device" reads "Windows couldn´t start this
> device because it´s config informations in registry are incomplete or
> damaged
> (code 19)". I don´t know how to rewrite the device registry and I can´t do
> restoration to the point before Pinnacle instalation because that point
> isn´t
> available anymore. I´m considering to reinstall the Vista, but how,
> without a
> DVD drive? Help, please... Thanks!

Brazmaster

Re: Vista reinstall without a CD drive
I tried that but didn´t work...
Thanks a lot !

"gjbates" wrote:

> I had the same error yesterday after upgrading from Home premium to
> Business. I eventually disabled the driver on the device manager and
> restarted the laptop. Vista reloaded the driver corrected after the
> restart.
>

> --
> gjbates
> gjbates's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26939
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=769128
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Brazmaster

Re: Vista reinstall without a CD drive
Thank you Richard, I´ll try that, tell you later.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> If you have a retail version of Vista, just boot from the DVD. The fact that
> the DVD drive doesn't work within Vista has no bearing what-so-ever on
> whether it will work when booting from the drive.
>
> If you can't boot from the DVD you may have to adjust the boot parameters
> within the bios. If you still can't boot - the drive has died.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "Brazmaster" <Brazmaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Vista was running weel when, after installed a Pinnacle TV board, my
> > DVD
> > drive begun not to work anymore. In device manager, the status of
> > "TSSTcorpCD/DVDW-SHS182D ATA device" reads "Windows couldn´t start this
> > device because it´s config informations in registry are incomplete or
> > damaged
> > (code 19)". I don´t know how to rewrite the device registry and I can´t do
> > restoration to the point before Pinnacle instalation because that point
> > isn´t
> > available anymore. I´m considering to reinstall the Vista, but how,
> > without a
> > DVD drive? Help, please... Thanks!

WBurchnall

Re: Vista reinstall without a CD drive

It wasn't the pinacle tv board that made your DVD Drive stop working. It
was upper/lower filters likely added by third party mpeg2 or dvd or
mpeg4 playback software included for 'free' with your pinacle board.

The error code you described in device manager is error code 10. It
indicates an upper/lower filter is in your registry pointing to a third
party application (that tries to filter the info to/from your dvd-rom
drive) is not vista compatible and could not be started correctly.

The easy fix to get your dvd rom working again is here:

'Optical drives do not work as expected after you upgrade a computer to
Windows Vista' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461)

If you do this, you won't have to reinstall your Vista copy each time
you install Pinnacle

--
WBurchnall
Brazmaster

Re: Vista reinstall without a CD drive
It worked! Adjusted the boot and reinstalled from the DVD. Everything ok now.
The problem now is to reactivate the Vista...Thanks a lot.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> If you have a retail version of Vista, just boot from the DVD. The fact that
> the DVD drive doesn't work within Vista has no bearing what-so-ever on
> whether it will work when booting from the drive.
>
> If you can't boot from the DVD you may have to adjust the boot parameters
> within the bios. If you still can't boot - the drive has died.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "Brazmaster" <Brazmaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Vista was running weel when, after installed a Pinnacle TV board, my
> > DVD
> > drive begun not to work anymore. In device manager, the status of
> > "TSSTcorpCD/DVDW-SHS182D ATA device" reads "Windows couldn´t start this
> > device because it´s config informations in registry are incomplete or
> > damaged
> > (code 19)". I don´t know how to rewrite the device registry and I can´t do
> > restoration to the point before Pinnacle instalation because that point
> > isn´t
> > available anymore. I´m considering to reinstall the Vista, but how,
> > without a
> > DVD drive? Help, please... Thanks!

Brazmaster

Re: Vista reinstall without a CD drive
Thanks a lot, very useful for the next time!
I have reinstalled and it worked.
But I had to do a "clean install".
Don´t know how to reinstall over the previous one.
Now I´m having problems with the Vista activation...
Bst rgrds,
Wagner
Rio - Brazil

"WBurchnall" wrote:

> It wasn't the pinacle tv board that made your DVD Drive stop working. It
> was upper/lower filters likely added by third party mpeg2 or dvd or
> mpeg4 playback software included for 'free' with your pinacle board.
>
> The error code you described in device manager is error code 10. It
> indicates an upper/lower filter is in your registry pointing to a third
> party application (that tries to filter the info to/from your dvd-rom
> drive) is not vista compatible and could not be started correctly.
>
> The easy fix to get your dvd rom working again is here:
>
> 'Optical drives do not work as expected after you upgrade a computer to
> Windows Vista' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461)
>
> If you do this, you won't have to reinstall your Vista copy each time
> you install Pinnacle
>

> --
> WBurchnall

Richard Urban

Re: Vista reinstall without a CD drive
Glad that you got it going again! <grin>