"This Version of Office Not Compatible With Your System"

gingerwa

"This Version of Office Not Compatible With Your System"
When I bought my last computer (a Gateway, running Windows XP), I also bought
MS Office 2003 Basic Edition at the same time (through Gateway, when I
purchased the PC)

Now I have purchased a new computer, an Acer, running Vista. When I try to
install Office 2003 from the original CD I get an error message saying "This
Version of Office Not Compatible With Your System". I have tried running it
as an administrator with the same result. Any suggestions? Everything
I've read has said that 2003 and Vista are perfectly compatible, just with a
few installation hiccups, though I haven't found anyone referencing the same
error I'm getting.
Richard G. Harper

Re: "This Version of Office Not Compatible With Your System"
If the copy of Office is an OEM version it will likely not install on
anything but a Gateway computer.

"gingerwa" <gingerwa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I bought my last computer (a Gateway, running Windows XP), I also
> bought
> MS Office 2003 Basic Edition at the same time (through Gateway, when I
> purchased the PC)
>
> Now I have purchased a new computer, an Acer, running Vista. When I try
> install Office 2003 from the original CD I get an error message saying
> "This
> Version of Office Not Compatible With Your System". I have tried running
> it
> as an administrator with the same result. Any suggestions? Everything
> I've read has said that 2003 and Vista are perfectly compatible, just with
> few installation hiccups, though I haven't found anyone referencing the
> same
> error I'm getting.

Richard Urban

Re: "This Version of Office Not Compatible With Your System"
Gateway likely modified the installer so it looks for the Gateway M/B's
bios. Not there = no install.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"gingerwa" <gingerwa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I bought my last computer (a Gateway, running Windows XP), I also
> bought
> MS Office 2003 Basic Edition at the same time (through Gateway, when I
> purchased the PC)
>
> Now I have purchased a new computer, an Acer, running Vista. When I try
> install Office 2003 from the original CD I get an error message saying
> "This
> Version of Office Not Compatible With Your System". I have tried running
> it
> as an administrator with the same result. Any suggestions? Everything
> I've read has said that 2003 and Vista are perfectly compatible, just with
> few installation hiccups, though I haven't found anyone referencing the
> same
> error I'm getting.

Bruce Chambers

gingerwa wrote:
> When I bought my last computer (a Gateway, running Windows XP), I also bought
> MS Office 2003 Basic Edition at the same time (through Gateway, when I
> purchased the PC)
>
> Now I have purchased a new computer, an Acer, running Vista. When I try to
> install Office 2003 from the original CD I get an error message saying "This
> Version of Office Not Compatible With Your System".

This is because you purchased an OEM license from Gateway, and are now
trying to install it onto a different computer. OEM licenses are
permanently bound tio the first computer on which they're installed, and
not transferable to any other computer, under any circumstances.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm