Please help, windows can't find hard drive during installation

Chris

Please help, windows can't find hard drive during installation
Hi,
I'm currently trying to do a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium OEM
64 Bit, using a SATA2 Hard drive. I think I have the settings in the BIOS
correct, I don't want a RAID setup, just a normal installation. When I try
to install vista, everything works fine until it asks me where I want to
install it. No hard drives appear on the list, (there is only one
installed), It is my understanding that I shouldn't need any drivers becasue
it is not a RAID setup. I have tried numerous different combinations of
settings in the BIOS, including messing around with AHCI. The interesting
thing is, I tried testing to see if the problem was with the hard drive, by
trying to install a copy of XP. XP identified the hard drive with no
problems, so I really can't understand why Vista is being such a pain.

Any ideas would be great!!

Chris
Rock

Re: Please help, windows can't find hard drive during installation
"Chris" wrote
> Hi,
> I'm currently trying to do a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium
> OEM
> 64 Bit, using a SATA2 Hard drive. I think I have the settings in the BIOS
> correct, I don't want a RAID setup, just a normal installation. When I
> try
> to install vista, everything works fine until it asks me where I want to
> install it. No hard drives appear on the list, (there is only one
> installed), It is my understanding that I shouldn't need any drivers
> becasue
> it is not a RAID setup. I have tried numerous different combinations of
> settings in the BIOS, including messing around with AHCI. The interesting
> thing is, I tried testing to see if the problem was with the hard drive,
> by
> trying to install a copy of XP. XP identified the hard drive with no
> problems, so I really can't understand why Vista is being such a pain.

You need to supply the driver for the SATA controller.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Chris

Re: Please help, windows can't find hard drive during installation
Thanks Rock,
I forgot to mention that I have tried doing that with the driver that were
supplied by the motherboard manufacter, via a floopy disk. I have tried
using every one that was supplied but with no sucess.

Any ideas?

> Thanks Rock,
> I forgot to mention that I have tried doing that with the driver that were
> supplied by the motherboard manufacter, via a floopy disk. I have tried
> using every one that was supplied but with no sucess.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Chris" wrote
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm currently trying to do a clean install of Windows Vista Home
>> > Premium
>> > OEM
>> > 64 Bit, using a SATA2 Hard drive. I think I have the settings in the
>> > BIOS
>> > correct, I don't want a RAID setup, just a normal installation. When I
>> > try
>> > to install vista, everything works fine until it asks me where I want
>> > install it. No hard drives appear on the list, (there is only one
>> > installed), It is my understanding that I shouldn't need any drivers
>> > becasue
>> > it is not a RAID setup. I have tried numerous different combinations
>> > of
>> > settings in the BIOS, including messing around with AHCI. The
>> > interesting
>> > thing is, I tried testing to see if the problem was with the hard
>> > drive,
>> > by
>> > trying to install a copy of XP. XP identified the hard drive with no
>> > problems, so I really can't understand why Vista is being such a pain.

>> You need to supply the driver for the SATA controller.

Sorry I don't at this point. Maybe someone else will jump in. Good luck.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

mikeyhsd

Re: Please help, windows can't find hard drive during installation
sounds like you need vista drivers for your hard drive.
download them and put them on a separate floppy and try it during install where it asks if you have extra drivers to load.

if that does not work.
maybe you need to ask the people who you bought the computer from.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:291ED19E-75F0-43FA-9756-AECB76F83922@microsoft.com...
[...]

XS11E

Re: Please help, windows can't find hard drive during installation
Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks Rock,
> I forgot to mention that I have tried doing that with the driver
> that were supplied by the motherboard manufacter, via a floopy
> disk. I have tried using every one that was supplied but with no
> sucess.
>
> Any ideas?

Have you tried going to the HD manufacturer's website and checking to
see if there are updated Vista drivers available? If so, give it a try
with the new drivers on the floppy disk (I'm not sure you can use a
"floopy" <G>) and also check the MB manufacturer to see if there's an
updated driver disk available and/or a BIOS update. Any one of the
above might fix the problem.

Dennis Pack

Re: Please help, windows can't find hard drive during installation
Chris:
Since XP will recognize the hard drive, verify that it is formatted
NTFS. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64