Reactivating Vista

friky19

Reactivating Vista
Hi, I was running a RAID 0 array on my pc, where vista was installed for 6
months or so. One of the drives failed, but before I reinstalled vista I used
XP for two days or so to try and revive the failed hard drive that was part
of my array, I also updated the motherboards bios.

I reinstalled vista a few days back, and now when it tries to reactivate it
says: "The product key you typed is already in use. To activate Windows you
will need another Windows Vista Business product key" and im given 4 choices:

1.- I do not have another Windows Vista Business product key and need to buy
a new one online.
2.- I have another Windows Vista Business product key and want to type it now
3.- Use the automated phone system to activate
4.- Contact Microsoft to help resolve this problem

The product key is not in use because Im the only owner. So I decided to try
and go with option 4. I Tried using Microsoft Customer Support online, went
into the Windows Vista Solution Center, and I chose to contact a support
professional by e-mail. Sent my product id and i got this message: "The
product ID number you entered has expired. Please enter another product ID
number or select a different support option below." Now just read that
support for vista is only valid 90 days after activating it, but i didnt
reinstall vista until now (5-6 months later). Did they expect me to have a
problem with my pc in that 90 day period ? So I get another option which
wants me to pay $59 dollars.... Ruled it out

How can i activate my windows again ? Lets say I try by phone, and it works.
What happens when I get my hard drive back from the RMA process and I
reinstall vista again on the array, will I have to call again ? How many
times will i be able to do this ?
Dustin Harper

Re: Reactivating Vista
The reason it says it's already in use is because you are the one using it.
If you give MS a call, and let them know about the hardware problem, they
will get you activated with no problems. Also, if you are expecting your
replacement HD soon, you might wait to activate. I don't think it would
require activation again, but you never know with Vista's activation
model...

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"friky19" <friky19@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I was running a RAID 0 array on my pc, where vista was installed for 6
> months or so. One of the drives failed, but before I reinstalled vista I
> used
> XP for two days or so to try and revive the failed hard drive that was
> part
> of my array, I also updated the motherboards bios.
>
> I reinstalled vista a few days back, and now when it tries to reactivate
> it
> says: "The product key you typed is already in use. To activate Windows
> you
> will need another Windows Vista Business product key" and im given 4
> choices:
>
> 1.- I do not have another Windows Vista Business product key and need to
> buy
> a new one online.
> 2.- I have another Windows Vista Business product key and want to type it
> now
> 3.- Use the automated phone system to activate
> 4.- Contact Microsoft to help resolve this problem
>
> The product key is not in use because Im the only owner. So I decided to
> try
> and go with option 4. I Tried using Microsoft Customer Support online,
> went
> into the Windows Vista Solution Center, and I chose to contact a support
> professional by e-mail. Sent my product id and i got this message: "The
> product ID number you entered has expired. Please enter another product ID
> number or select a different support option below." Now just read that
> support for vista is only valid 90 days after activating it, but i didnt
> reinstall vista until now (5-6 months later). Did they expect me to have a
> problem with my pc in that 90 day period ? So I get another option which
> wants me to pay $59 dollars.... Ruled it out
>
> How can i activate my windows again ? Lets say I try by phone, and it
> works.
> What happens when I get my hard drive back from the RMA process and I
> reinstall vista again on the array, will I have to call again ? How many
> times will i be able to do this ?

Mike Brannigan

Re: Reactivating Vista
"friky19" <friky19@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I was running a RAID 0 array on my pc, where vista was installed for 6
> months or so. One of the drives failed, but before I reinstalled vista I
> used
> XP for two days or so to try and revive the failed hard drive that was
> part
> of my array, I also updated the motherboards bios.
>
> I reinstalled vista a few days back, and now when it tries to reactivate
> it
> says: "The product key you typed is already in use. To activate Windows
> you
> will need another Windows Vista Business product key" and im given 4
> choices:
>
> 1.- I do not have another Windows Vista Business product key and need to
> buy
> a new one online.
> 2.- I have another Windows Vista Business product key and want to type it
> now
> 3.- Use the automated phone system to activate
> 4.- Contact Microsoft to help resolve this problem
>
> The product key is not in use because Im the only owner. So I decided to
> try
> and go with option 4. I Tried using Microsoft Customer Support online,
> went
> into the Windows Vista Solution Center, and I chose to contact a support
> professional by e-mail. Sent my product id and i got this message: "The
> product ID number you entered has expired. Please enter another product ID
> number or select a different support option below." Now just read that
> support for vista is only valid 90 days after activating it, but i didnt
> reinstall vista until now (5-6 months later). Did they expect me to have a
> problem with my pc in that 90 day period ? So I get another option which
> wants me to pay $59 dollars.... Ruled it out
>
> How can i activate my windows again ? Lets say I try by phone, and it
> works.
> What happens when I get my hard drive back from the RMA process and I
> reinstall vista again on the array, will I have to call again ? How many
> times will i be able to do this ?

Your key IS in use as it was used to activate the PC with the original
hardware configuration - but this is not a problem.
Just activate by phone that will fail too after the automated part; then
hang on and you will speak to a person who will activate your product.

--

Mike Brannigan

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Reactivating Vista
Friky19

Use the automated phone-in option to activate. If the automated activation
fails, stay on the line and you will be redirected to a live person who will
be able to complete the activation for you.

You can activate that version of Vista an unlimited number of times.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"friky19" <friky19@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I was running a RAID 0 array on my pc, where vista was installed for 6
> months or so. One of the drives failed, but before I reinstalled vista I
> used
> XP for two days or so to try and revive the failed hard drive that was
> part
> of my array, I also updated the motherboards bios.
>
> I reinstalled vista a few days back, and now when it tries to reactivate
> it
> says: "The product key you typed is already in use. To activate Windows
> you
> will need another Windows Vista Business product key" and im given 4
> choices:
>
> 1.- I do not have another Windows Vista Business product key and need to
> buy
> a new one online.
> 2.- I have another Windows Vista Business product key and want to type it
> now
> 3.- Use the automated phone system to activate
> 4.- Contact Microsoft to help resolve this problem
>
> The product key is not in use because Im the only owner. So I decided to
> try
> and go with option 4. I Tried using Microsoft Customer Support online,
> went
> into the Windows Vista Solution Center, and I chose to contact a support
> professional by e-mail. Sent my product id and i got this message: "The
> product ID number you entered has expired. Please enter another product ID
> number or select a different support option below." Now just read that
> support for vista is only valid 90 days after activating it, but i didnt
> reinstall vista until now (5-6 months later). Did they expect me to have a
> problem with my pc in that 90 day period ? So I get another option which
> wants me to pay $59 dollars.... Ruled it out
>
> How can i activate my windows again ? Lets say I try by phone, and it
> works.
> What happens when I get my hard drive back from the RMA process and I
> reinstall vista again on the array, will I have to call again ? How many
> times will i be able to do this ?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Reactivating Vista
I'd wait until you get the hard drive back and everything is working okay
and then activate over the telephone.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"friky19" <friky19@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I was running a RAID 0 array on my pc, where vista was installed for 6
> months or so. One of the drives failed, but before I reinstalled vista I
> used
> XP for two days or so to try and revive the failed hard drive that was
> part
> of my array, I also updated the motherboards bios.
>
> I reinstalled vista a few days back, and now when it tries to reactivate
> it
> says: "The product key you typed is already in use. To activate Windows
> you
> will need another Windows Vista Business product key" and im given 4
> choices:
>
> 1.- I do not have another Windows Vista Business product key and need to
> buy
> a new one online.
> 2.- I have another Windows Vista Business product key and want to type it
> now
> 3.- Use the automated phone system to activate
> 4.- Contact Microsoft to help resolve this problem
>
> The product key is not in use because Im the only owner. So I decided to
> try
> and go with option 4. I Tried using Microsoft Customer Support online,
> went
> into the Windows Vista Solution Center, and I chose to contact a support
> professional by e-mail. Sent my product id and i got this message: "The
> product ID number you entered has expired. Please enter another product ID
> number or select a different support option below." Now just read that
> support for vista is only valid 90 days after activating it, but i didnt
> reinstall vista until now (5-6 months later). Did they expect me to have a
> problem with my pc in that 90 day period ? So I get another option which
> wants me to pay $59 dollars.... Ruled it out
>
> How can i activate my windows again ? Lets say I try by phone, and it
> works.
> What happens when I get my hard drive back from the RMA process and I
> reinstall vista again on the array, will I have to call again ? How many
> times will i be able to do this ?

friky19

Re: Reactivating Vista
Sorry, I was out of the country. But thanks, I'll wait for my hard drive to
come back to call and reactivate.

Thanks to all

You're welcome!