Vista Product Key?

Rob @ Accenture

Vista Product Key?
Will a Chinese Version of Vista Product Key work if we will an register it in
an English version of Vista because I bought a IBM laptop in Singapore and
they delivered it to me in Chinese and I cant even read Chinese. Im here in
the Philippines and it will cost me if i will deliver it back to them and I
believe they will charge me for this, what a slump im in. Any suggestions?
brink

Re: Vista Product Key?

Hi Rob,

Yes you can. I don't see why you couldn't use it. Just reinstall it
and select English.

Regards,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Product Key?
No, you need to purchase a product key for an English
version of Windows Vista.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"Rob @ Accenture" wrote:

Will a Chinese Version of Vista Product Key work if we will an register it in
an English version of Vista because I bought a IBM laptop in Singapore and
they delivered it to me in Chinese and I cant even read Chinese. Im here in
the Philippines and it will cost me if i will deliver it back to them and I
believe they will charge me for this, what a slump im in. Any suggestions?

Bruce Chambers

Re: Vista Product Key?
Rob @ Accenture wrote:
> Will a Chinese Version of Vista Product Key work if we will an register it in
> an English version of Vista because I bought a IBM laptop in Singapore and
> they delivered it to me in Chinese and I cant even read Chinese.

No. Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
CD/license (Vista Edition, OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with
which they are purchased. For example, a Vista Home Premium OEM Product
Key won't work for any retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version
of Vista Business, and vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be
used with a full version CD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will
not work to install a retail product. An Italian Product Key will not
work with an English CD. Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot
be mixed & matched.

> Im here in
> the Philippines and it will cost me if i will deliver it back to them and I
> believe they will charge me for this, what a slump im in. Any suggestions?

Either ship the laptop back and order one with the correct OS, or
purchase a copy of Vista in the language of your choice, and perform a
clean installation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Bruce Chambers

Re: Vista Product Key?
brink wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Yes you can.

No, he can't.

> I don't see why you couldn't use it. Just reinstall it
> and select English.

Maybe because that's not an option?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Rob @ Accenture

Re: Vista Product Key?
Hi Bruce,

> Either ship the laptop back and order one with the correct OS, or
> purchase a copy of Vista in the language of your choice, and perform a
> clean installation.

So what happened to my product key if I install a new one? The product key
will be useless then? 200USD is much better than reshipping with taxes and
all. What a rip-off if the Product Key is useless then. Anyone who wants a
chinese version of vista and have a english version switch with me if you
want. Hehehehe.

Anyway if I upgrade to Ultimate meaning buy in the Upgrade price will it be
in english then or still in chinese?

Thanks

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Rob @ Accenture wrote:
> > Will a Chinese Version of Vista Product Key work if we will an register it in
> > an English version of Vista because I bought a IBM laptop in Singapore and
> > they delivered it to me in Chinese and I cant even read Chinese.

> No. Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
> CD/license (Vista Edition, OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with
> which they are purchased. For example, a Vista Home Premium OEM Product
> Key won't work for any retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version
> of Vista Business, and vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be
> used with a full version CD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will
> not work to install a retail product. An Italian Product Key will not
> work with an English CD. Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot
> be mixed & matched.
>

> > Im here in
> > the Philippines and it will cost me if i will deliver it back to them and I
> > believe they will charge me for this, what a slump im in. Any suggestions?

> Either ship the laptop back and order one with the correct OS, or
> purchase a copy of Vista in the language of your choice, and perform a
> clean installation.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

Bruce Chambers

Re: Vista Product Key?
Rob @ Accenture wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
>> Either ship the laptop back and order one with the correct OS, or
>> purchase a copy of Vista in the language of your choice, and perform a
>> clean installation.

> So what happened to my product key if I install a new one? The product key
> will be useless then?

Pretty much, yes. OEM licenses are not transferable.

> 200USD is much better than reshipping with taxes and
> all. What a rip-off if the Product Key is useless then.

How it is a rip-off when you're the one who purchased a version you
can't use?

> Anyway if I upgrade to Ultimate meaning buy in the Upgrade price will it be
> in english then or still in chinese?

If you want English, you'll have to purchase a full retail version.
There is no upgrading between different languages.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

brink

Re: Vista Product Key?

Bruce and Carey,

Thank you for informing me otherwise. I was under the wrong impression
that the product key was usable in that way.

Regards,
Shawn