Windows Mail

Baker

Windows Mail
I tried to setup my windows mail on vista using my Hotmail account. THE HELP
section tells me to upgrade to this "new" version of Live messenger and it
will work. Well, nothing has changed since my windows live ID is still my
Hotmail address!!! It just made me upgrade and won't recognize that this
"Hotmail" account is what it told me to upgrade to. Do I need a new ID, or
what?
Rock

Re: Windows Mail
"Baker" wrote
>I tried to setup my windows mail on vista using my Hotmail account. THE
>HELP
> section tells me to upgrade to this "new" version of Live messenger and it
> will work. Well, nothing has changed since my windows live ID is still my
> Hotmail address!!! It just made me upgrade and won't recognize that this
> "Hotmail" account is what it told me to upgrade to. Do I need a new ID, or
> what?

If you don't get a reply here, there is a separate newsgroup for Windows
Mail:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

mikeyhsd

Re: Windows Mail
of course our resident net nanny perfectly well knows the answer. just does not see fit to give you one as he disapproves of where you posted your question.

access to HTTP type accounts (hotmail is an example) has been removed from Windows Mail.
there are several options.
HOT POP a free program that works as a proxy server but requires you to have an OLD hotmail account
www.fitsoftware.com

windows live desktop
windows live mail which is a replacement for windows mail but retains the ability to handle http type accounts.
you can download these from ms fro free by searching for
windows live
at ms.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Baker" <Baker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C92A322F-59DE-4C45-BFE0-FE2AF71D11C0@microsoft.com...
I tried to setup my windows mail on vista using my Hotmail account. THE HELP
section tells me to upgrade to this "new" version of Live messenger and it
will work. Well, nothing has changed since my windows live ID is still my
Hotmail address!!! It just made me upgrade and won't recognize that this
"Hotmail" account is what it told me to upgrade to. Do I need a new ID, or
what?
>I tried to setup my windows mail on vista using my Hotmail account. THE
>HELP
> section tells me to upgrade to this "new" version of Live messenger and it
> will work. Well, nothing has changed since my windows live ID is still my
> Hotmail address!!! It just made me upgrade and won't recognize that this
> "Hotmail" account is what it told me to upgrade to. Do I need a new ID, or
> what?

As mickeyhsd said, Hot Popper works fine. I didn't want to pay for it
because it used to be free so I searched for the last free version until I
found it (ver 2.1.1). It works fine in Vista HP although I use it with
Outlook 07.