Worse Upgrade I've Ever Had

jamndar

Worse Upgrade I've Ever Had
I've gotta be honest, I thought that Windows 98 had issues. I've been with
Microsoft since windows original. I've upgraded to every release. There
hasn't been 1 that I can remember that was a totally smooth rollout. But
this one, woah, this one is definitely DOA and definitely is and was not
ready for PRIME time! QA PEOPLE! Don't through your high overpriced pieces
of crap software at us and expect us the consumer and computer users to say,
oh that's alright. Microsoft will fix it shortly. I can't believe in the
21st century now and Microsoft is repeating their vast mistakes from the 20th
century.

I install software, write applications, build PC's as my job. I'd love to
see what would happen to my job if I rolled out an application like this at
work.... HA... I'd be FIRED for sure. Here's my frustration, disappointment
and aggravation with this so called product.

1. All along we've heard how "Fast" it is, how your multi-media will look
better, you'll be able to multi-task better and quicker than ever before and
take your online gaming to a new level.

What we should have heard is: Vista will be more secure (even users won't
be able to install or maintain their own applications, so you know, an
outsider definitely isn't getting into this puppy). Yeah, we'll through ya a
couple of cool media shots, we won't include all of the drivers we know
you're going to need, cause quite frankly, we haven't done our research.
Even though you users send us your configuration/hardware information, do you
really expect us to review all that? And multi-task, heck, well let ya click
(all you want), but we won't open windows for you LOL. Instead we'll make it
take 4-8 minutes to open each item, and then take an additional 4-8 minutes
if you want to click back and forth through the windows.

I mean come on people. I've been trying to complete this upgrade for hte
past 24+ hours now! First I couldn't download the upgrade using Microsofts
own download program, huh.... go figure. I should have taken that at face
value and RAN right then.

If a product isn't ready, and you know it's not, why in the heck are you
releasing it. Trust in Microsoft is greatly diminishing. I'm a PC'er at
heart and have gotten use to all of the changes Microsoft has made over the
last 20+ years. I'm in Technology at my job 10hrs/day. The last thing I
want to do is troubleshoot Microsoft coding/application problems. So now
since 9PM CST last night until now 10:15PM CST, I've been working on
identifying the root cause of why my system is at a snails pace.

I really had very high hopes, especially when Windows XP was so easy to
upgrade to. But this time, I'm afraid Microsoft has taken a GIGANTIC LEAP
BACK. I can't tell you how many pc's i've built for businesses, friends,
myself, and how many various installations I've ran and upgrades I've
performed. But this one, this one has me seriously thinking about a new OS.
Because it appears that Microsoft is going back to the same business model
they had with windows 98 and the mess they made there.

Somebody at Microsoft needs to get their head out of the profit piles and
start QA'ing their operating systems. And having knowledgeable technicians
on these forums to assist us knowledgeable users so we can get all of these
issues rectified in short order.

It just appears to me that nobody at Microsoft had "Balls" enough to tell
Bill Gates, "hey Bill, we're really not ready... probably be another couple
months or so". No, instead they roll it out broken, unusable, definitely not
a finished product ready for consumers and watchout to the businesses out
there trying to put together an image they can push out to multiple desktops.
LOL...

Ok so that's my .02 cents worth. <RANT OFF> Have a great week everybody!!!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup
Dustin Harper

Re: Worse Upgrade I've Ever Had
Truth be told, Vista has problems. With some systems. For the most part,
it's great. There are always a few systems that have problems. No matter
what OS you run. Mac is better with this because they run standard hardware.
You can't pick and choose your motherboard, video card, RAM, sound card,
different chipsets, etc.. Windows has so many different hardware options
(and more every day!).

But, you don't hear people sharing success stories, only the bad ones.
That's the nature of the business. If it works, go with it. If not,
complain.

Vista is a great OS, if it works on your hardware. I haven't had any issues
with several (well, ~100 PC's) computers that I've built and run. Well, I
can't say NO issues. But, they have been very minor, and 90% of them have
been 3rd party driver/hardware issues.

Vista has it's problems, and I'll admit it. But, for the most part, they are
minor. The BIG one that gets me is copying files. 10 minutes to copy
200MB... Okay.... That should be fixed, hopefully. But, you can't say that
other MS Operating Systems didn't suffer problems.

And if you program, you know that your software will not run on 100% of all
PC configurations. Times your application by 1000 (or more) and you can see
the range that MS has.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"jamndar" <jamndar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> start QA'ing their operating systems. And having knowledgeable
> technicians
> on these forums to assist us knowledgeable users so we can get all of
> these
> issues rectified in short order.
>
> It just appears to me that nobody at Microsoft had "Balls" enough to tell
> Bill Gates, "hey Bill, we're really not ready... probably be another
> couple
> months or so". No, instead they roll it out broken, unusable, definitely
> not
> a finished product ready for consumers and watchout to the businesses out
> there trying to put together an image they can push out to multiple
> desktops.
> LOL...
>
> Ok so that's my .02 cents worth. <RANT OFF> Have a great week

Jimbob

RE: Worse Upgrade I've Ever Had
I've heard that Vista is quite difficult to install. Try Ubuntu Linux or
something - its fairly straight forward and won't carp on your computer.
(www.ubuntu.com) - check the forums if you need any help
BigJim

Re: Worse Upgrade I've Ever Had
a success story. I am using vista ultimate on a fresh drive. No ugrade and
it took all of twenty minutes to load and get it running. the machine is an
older p4 with two gig of ram and a 7600gt agp card and onboard audio.
> [...]
> start QA'ing their operating systems. And having knowledgeable
> technicians
> on these forums to assist us knowledgeable users so we can get all of
> these
> issues rectified in short order.
>
> It just appears to me that nobody at Microsoft had "Balls" enough to tell
> Bill Gates, "hey Bill, we're really not ready... probably be another
> couple
> months or so". No, instead they roll it out broken, unusable, definitely
> not
> a finished product ready for consumers and watchout to the businesses out
> there trying to put together an image they can push out to multiple
> desktops.
> LOL...
>
> Ok so that's my .02 cents worth. <RANT OFF> Have a great week

Glad it won't carp on my computer. Those are some bad fish!

Ubuntu is good, but it still has problems with some hardware. No OS is 100%
compatible with all hardware. Vista is easy to install. A small percentage
will have some problems, but the solution isn't to just ditch it. That's
like buying a new car to fix a flat tire...

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Jimbob" <Jimbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've heard that Vista is quite difficult to install. Try Ubuntu Linux or
> something - its fairly straight forward and won't carp on your computer.
> (www.ubuntu.com) - check the forums if you need any help

Richard Urban

Re: Worse Upgrade I've Ever Had
I have installed over 100 copies of Vista on hardware from brand new to
about 4 years old. I have had problems with one computer.

Vista is very much ready for prime time. Too bad some of the people who are
using it are not.

So, do you have any questions you want answered? Rants don't count!

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

> [...]
> start QA'ing their operating systems. And having knowledgeable
> technicians
> on these forums to assist us knowledgeable users so we can get all of
> these
> issues rectified in short order.
>
> It just appears to me that nobody at Microsoft had "Balls" enough to tell
> Bill Gates, "hey Bill, we're really not ready... probably be another
> couple
> months or so". No, instead they roll it out broken, unusable, definitely
> not
> a finished product ready for consumers and watchout to the businesses out
> there trying to put together an image they can push out to multiple
> desktops.
> LOL...
>
> Ok so that's my .02 cents worth. <RANT OFF> Have a great week

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Worse Upgrade I've Ever Had
If you knew that MS upgrades were problematic, and they always have been,
why did you take that route. I avoid upgrades like the plague.

Vista will clean install in just over 20 minutes and, if installed on well
supported hardware, runs very well..

> [...]
> start QA'ing their operating systems. And having knowledgeable
> technicians
> on these forums to assist us knowledgeable users so we can get all of
> these
> issues rectified in short order.
>
> It just appears to me that nobody at Microsoft had "Balls" enough to tell
> Bill Gates, "hey Bill, we're really not ready... probably be another
> couple
> months or so". No, instead they roll it out broken, unusable, definitely
> not
> a finished product ready for consumers and watchout to the businesses out
> there trying to put together an image they can push out to multiple
> desktops.
> LOL...
>
> Ok so that's my .02 cents worth. <RANT OFF> Have a great week

MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eJ7GsFZsHHA.4324@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> If you knew that MS upgrades were problematic, and they always have been,
> why did you take that route. I avoid upgrades like the plague.
>
> Vista will clean install in just over 20 minutes and, if installed on well
> supported hardware, runs very well..

Actually, Vista Home Basic slammed all the drivers in place for
a brand new mother board and all the on-board peripherals. I'm
actually somewhat afraid to install the designated drivers for the
audio, video, LAn, etc., on the MoBo for fear of conflict.

Unreasonable?

Roedy Green

Re: Worse Upgrade I've Ever Had
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:25:00 -0700, jamndar
<jamndar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

> But
>this one, woah, this one is definitely DOA and definitely is and was not
>ready for PRIME time!

It was late over and over and I suspect some one high up said, "I
don't care if it is not ready. Ship it out."

I don't understand is why the problem.

They made it much fatter, but all changes appear to be cosmetic or
else deliberate breaking of legacy code.

the "security" is joke -- to pepper the code with "Are you sure?".

What does all this new code do?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
jamndar

Re: Worse Upgrade I've Ever Had
See one of my other posts Richard: Non-Response After Upgrading From XP SP2
to Vista or Non-Response after upgrading from XP to Vista.