Non-Response After Upgrading From XP SP2 to Vista

jamndar

Non-Response After Upgrading From XP SP2 to Vista
Ok here are the issues I'm having and need assistance with, I'll also include
my hardware and "Yes" I've updatedall of my device drivers, MOBO, NIC, etc..
I've upgraded from Windows XP Pro SP2 to Vista Ultimate.

1. When booting up it takes approx 5 minutes to get to the Logo.
2. From there it takes approx 30 secs to get to login prompt.
3. After that, it takes almost 10 minutes seeing "Preparing Your Desktop".
4. Once the desktop appears, it takes another 5-8 minutes to be able to
move the mouse, or choose an action.
5. Once I choose an action, it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes before I
can perform the next action. So you can see that this is very, very time
consuming and troubleshooting this is very slow.
6. If I start up in safe mode, my times are almost cut in half. And once
I'm in safe mode, the system is responsive.
7. I can see my internet and network as soon as I select them, so my TCP/IP
is good. I can even share files, etc..
8. I've lowered my ram from CORSAIR DDR2 5-5-5-12 800Mhz 4GB to 2GB as
recommended earlier, but it hasn't helped at all.
9. After approx 40 minutes, the system locks up on me and I receive an
annoying steady sound.
10. My system passed the compatibility tests with no issues reported.
11. This time I tried opening control panel to remove some applications and
the window quickly appeared and then disappeared. I checked task manager and
control panel is not running.
12. I tried right clicking on "Computer" from my desktop and select
"Properties" but nothing happens.
13. So now I'm waiting my 5-10 minutes for it to let me try something else
again.

Device Driver Updates:
1. NIC
2. Sound
3. Raid
4. Video Card
5. Keyboard & Mouse
6. Monitor
7. Motherboard

System Build:
MOBO - Asus M2R32-MVP
RAM - 2GB, I have 4GB but I took 2GB out
CPU - AMD FX-62 Dual Core 2.8Ghz
Hard Drive - 160GB WD SATA 10K RPM
Video Card - Nvidia 8800-GTX 750MB
AUDIO - Soundmax
Monitor - Viewsonic 20" VX2035wm
Keyboard & Mouse - GE wired Keyboard and Optical Mouse.
Gaming Router - D-Link DGL-4100 Gigabit Gaming Router

Not sure if anybody else is having extremely slow response times like I am,
but figured I'd ask. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jimbob

RE: Non-Response After Upgrading From XP SP2 to Vista
Hmm... are you running the effects on aero glass?

You only have 4Gb of ram so that might not be enough to make it run
smoothly, try disabling the effects to see if that makes any difference.
Kerry Brown

Re: Non-Response After Upgrading From XP SP2 to Vista
Vista has some excellent built in troubleshooting aids. Much better than
previous versions of Windows. The best place to start diagnosing performance
problems is strangely enough in Performance Information and Tools. Start
typing it in the Start Search box. When you see it in the list open it.
Click on Advanced Tools. In many cases the cause of the poor performance has
already been identified and is listed. If not then work through the tools to
see what is causing the problems. The first tool in the list "View
performance details in Event log" will almost always pinpoint the problems.
If that isn't enough info then work through the rest of the tools.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"jamndar" <jamndar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok here are the issues I'm having and need assistance with, I'll also
> include
> my hardware and "Yes" I've updatedall of my device drivers, MOBO, NIC,
> etc..
> I've upgraded from Windows XP Pro SP2 to Vista Ultimate.
>
> 1. When booting up it takes approx 5 minutes to get to the Logo.
> 2. From there it takes approx 30 secs to get to login prompt.
> 3. After that, it takes almost 10 minutes seeing "Preparing Your
> Desktop".
> 4. Once the desktop appears, it takes another 5-8 minutes to be able to
> move the mouse, or choose an action.
> 5. Once I choose an action, it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes before I
> can perform the next action. So you can see that this is very, very time
> consuming and troubleshooting this is very slow.
> 6. If I start up in safe mode, my times are almost cut in half. And once
> I'm in safe mode, the system is responsive.
> 7. I can see my internet and network as soon as I select them, so my
> TCP/IP
> is good. I can even share files, etc..
> 8. I've lowered my ram from CORSAIR DDR2 5-5-5-12 800Mhz 4GB to 2GB as
> recommended earlier, but it hasn't helped at all.
> 9. After approx 40 minutes, the system locks up on me and I receive an
> annoying steady sound.
> 10. My system passed the compatibility tests with no issues reported.
> 11. This time I tried opening control panel to remove some applications
> and
> the window quickly appeared and then disappeared. I checked task manager
> and
> control panel is not running.
> 12. I tried right clicking on "Computer" from my desktop and select
> "Properties" but nothing happens.
> 13. So now I'm waiting my 5-10 minutes for it to let me try something
> else
> again.
>
> Device Driver Updates:
> 1. NIC
> 2. Sound
> 3. Raid
> 4. Video Card
> 5. Keyboard & Mouse
> 6. Monitor
> 7. Motherboard
>
> System Build:
> MOBO - Asus M2R32-MVP
> RAM - 2GB, I have 4GB but I took 2GB out
> CPU - AMD FX-62 Dual Core 2.8Ghz
> Hard Drive - 160GB WD SATA 10K RPM
> Video Card - Nvidia 8800-GTX 750MB
> AUDIO - Soundmax
> Monitor - Viewsonic 20" VX2035wm
> Keyboard & Mouse - GE wired Keyboard and Optical Mouse.
> Gaming Router - D-Link DGL-4100 Gigabit Gaming Router
>
> Not sure if anybody else is having extremely slow response times like I
> am,
> but figured I'd ask. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jamndar

Re: Non-Response After Upgrading From XP SP2 to Vista
thanks Kerry.... I'll try that tomorrow after I get off work.