Install Vista Business Upgrade 32 bit over OEM Vista Ultimate 64 b

PrincipleOne

Install Vista Business Upgrade 32 bit over OEM Vista Ultimate 64 b
I have a new laptop with OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit and due to driver issues
with programs like OneNote 2007 I need to have a 32 bit system. I have a
Vista Business 32 bit upgrade disc and I was wondering if it can be installed
as an upgrade (wouldn't that be a downgrade)?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Install Vista Business Upgrade 32 bit over OEM Vista Ultimate 64 b
Business 32bit is not even a downgrade.. 32bit is regarded as a different
platform to 64bit and will require a clean install..

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Rock

Re: Install Vista Business Upgrade 32 bit over OEM Vista Ultimate 64 b
"PrincipleOne" wrote
>I have a new laptop with OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit and due to driver
>issues
> with programs like OneNote 2007 I need to have a 32 bit system. I have a
> Vista Business 32 bit upgrade disc and I was wondering if it can be
> installed
> as an upgrade (wouldn't that be a downgrade)?

You cannot do an in place upgrade between the different platforms, either
32bit to 64bit or the reverse. You will need to do a clean install of the
32bit OS. I believe you can use an 32bit upgrade version with the 64bit as
the qualifying OS. The current installation will be wrapped up into the
Windows.old folder which can be deleted after you recover any needed data
files.

You can run the Windows Easy Transfer on the current installation to create
a file to migrate data and settings on some form of removable media, an
external hard drive or a network drive. After Vista 32 bit is installed use
WET to bring that data into the new installation. Programs have to be
reinstalled from original media.

Note: I would not rely solely on WET as the only means of backup. I
recommend you image the current installation to an external hard drive using
Acronis True Image version 10. That way the original installation and data
are preserved. Then use WET.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

mikeyhsd

Re: Install Vista Business Upgrade 32 bit over OEM Vista Ultimate 64 b
have you considered using VPC2007(FREE) and running the 32 bit as a guest in virtual environment.

going from 32 to 64 or back, usually requires a clean install.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"PrincipleOne" <PrincipleOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:069841BB-7491-4590-B47A-181BC9AC9397@microsoft.com...
I have a new laptop with OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit and due to driver issues
with programs like OneNote 2007 I need to have a 32 bit system. I have a
Vista Business 32 bit upgrade disc and I was wondering if it can be installed
as an upgrade (wouldn't that be a downgrade)?
colinzim

Re: Install Vista Business Upgrade 32 bit over OEM Vista Ultimate 64 b

Hello Rock,
"qualifying OS" = which ?
That I can use Business 32-Bit (disc) and and skip the "key" and it
activate on top of my 64 Ultimate ?
any links .... tried google

--
colinzim
Mick Murphy

Re: Install Vista Business Upgrade 32 bit over OEM Vista Ultimate
You can't "skip" keys unless you are doing a clean install from an upgrade
disk. Then you put the key in the second time around.

But, you have a problem.
To change from 32bit to 64bit, or 64bit to 32 bit, it has to be a clean
install wirh full OS, not upgrade..
In other words, boot from CD/DVD drive, delete partition, formatt, install.

"colinzim" wrote:

> Hello Rock,
> "qualifying OS" = which ?
> That I can use Business 32-Bit (disc) and and skip the "key" and it
> activate on top of my 64 Ultimate ?
> any links .... tried google
>

> --
> colinzim

colinzim

Mick Murphy;539073 Wrote:
> You can't "skip" keys unless you are doing a clean install from an
> upgrade
> disk. Then you put the key in the second time around.
>
> But, you have a problem.
> To change from 32bit to 64bit, or 64bit to 32 bit, it has to be a
> clean
> install with full OS, not upgrade..
> In other words, boot from CD/DVD drive, delete partition, formatt,
> install.
>
> "colinzim" wrote:

Thanks for the quick info: so I need a new key for the 32bit biz ?
In otherwords buy a copy of Vista Business 32-Bit ?
I was hoping I wouldn't have to
Thanks 'gain

--
colinzim