PLEASE help - pulling hair out transferring to Vista!!

Brian Mattson

PLEASE help - pulling hair out transferring to Vista!!
Hi. I just bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have an Intel
Conroe 6700 and 8-gig of RAM... so I have the HARDWARE working great. I am
coming from an XP Professional PC. I bought the Belkin Xfer cable, installed
the software, followed directions... and my files will either not transfer
(says I will 'lose encryption'), or when they get into the Vista PC it says
they won'topen because of "security settings".

I have never encrypted anything on my old PC... and file sharing is enabled
everywhere... so I have no clue why I can't transfer. Thus far, only thing
that appears to have made the trip successfully was my iTUNES directly, and
that is because I used my iPOD to transfer the files.

I am very, very frustrated. I called Msft and went through several people
in Bangladesh, only to find I had to pay $59 for help. I got my case just
about set up, and they dropped my call before giving my case number. Didn't
call back.

Anyway, you can see I'm animated! UGH! Anyway, I would really appreciate
someone out there helping me. Thank you.
Don

Re: PLEASE help - pulling hair out transferring to Vista!!
Brian Mattson wrote:
> Hi. I just bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have an Intel
> Conroe 6700 and 8-gig of RAM... so I have the HARDWARE working great. I am
> coming from an XP Professional PC. I bought the Belkin Xfer cable, installed
> the software...

I have no experience with 64-bit Vista except what I've read in these
groups, so beware. Your phrase 'the software' caught my attention
because so many people have had trouble running 3rd-party software on
Vista. What software do you mean?

Brian

Re: PLEASE help - pulling hair out transferring to Vista!!
Don... it's the software that comes with the Belkin Transfer Cable. It says
it's designed for Vista... but says nothing about 32 vs 64 bit.

"Don" wrote:

> Brian Mattson wrote:
> > Hi. I just bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have an Intel
> > Conroe 6700 and 8-gig of RAM... so I have the HARDWARE working great. I am
> > coming from an XP Professional PC. I bought the Belkin Xfer cable, installed
> > the software...

> I have no experience with 64-bit Vista except what I've read in these
> groups, so beware. Your phrase 'the software' caught my attention
> because so many people have had trouble running 3rd-party software on
> Vista. What software do you mean?

Jimbob

RE: PLEASE help - pulling hair out transferring to Vista!!
The problem is that Vista won't recognise encrypted data unless it is
digitally signed to run through the NSA back door built into the mouse curser
animations. This has something to do with it being illegal to export
encryption out of the US.

When you're on the microsoft technical support - keep pressing "#" and
you'll be able to talk to bill or steve directly in redmond, they are usually
pretty quick to fix your problems.

Brian wrote:
> Don... it's the software that comes with the Belkin Transfer Cable. It says
> it's designed for Vista... but says nothing about 32 vs 64 bit.

All I can tell you is what I've read in these groups: support by the
hardware manufacturers for Vista-64 is still very limited. I have no
personal experience I can offer you -- only hearsay.

I hope someone else here can give you more informed advice. Meanwhile,
if you can contact Belkin directly via their website, perhaps they can
give you some definitive help.

One other idle speculation: if you are getting warnings about file
permissions, you might consider first copying your files to a USB stick
formatted with a FAT-32 filesystem (the usual manufacturers default)
because FAT-32 does not support any file permissions whatever. If you
can copy your files to a USB stick, perhaps you can then copy from there
to Vista without file-perm errors.