vista reinstall

surf324mi

vista reinstall
i did a istall of vista home premium over xp home after about 2 wks it
started crashing after 10 minutes ihave a nvidia 6800gs card updated drivers
,no programs show conflict i did mem test that was ok so i put vista disk in
and selected repair it came up as unable to repair so i selected vista
install it started then after awhile stopped the computer now only boots to
the intel screen then keeps doing rebbot over and over f8 keys says damaged
or missing file winload.exe status oxcoooof,
cannot getit to read off dvd anymore donot want to wipe drive clean as i did
not backup please help!
Rock

Re: vista reinstall
"surf324mi" wrote
>i did a istall of vista home premium over xp home after about 2 wks it
> started crashing after 10 minutes ihave a nvidia 6800gs card updated
> drivers
> ,no programs show conflict i did mem test that was ok so i put vista disk
> in
> and selected repair it came up as unable to repair so i selected vista
> install it started then after awhile stopped the computer now only boots
> the intel screen then keeps doing rebbot over and over f8 keys says
> damaged
> or missing file winload.exe status oxcoooof,
> cannot getit to read off dvd anymore donot want to wipe drive clean as i
> did
> not backup please help!

The first thing you need to do is backup the data.

Take the drive out of the computer and install it as a slave drive in
another Windows Vista or XP . It should read the drive ok, so you can copy
the data. A variation of this is to put the drive in an external drive
enclosure and connect that to the other computer.

You might need to take ownership of the files and folders you want to copy.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Jimbob

RE: vista reinstall
The solution offered by rock is way overly complicated. You can get a linux
livecd from the intenet which will boot up your computer into ram so you can
get access to your files without any major surgery - don't worry - it won't
do anything to your hard drive, just stick it in the cd drive, boot it up,
copy your files to a USB or something and your done. There are lots
available, check out www.ubuntu.com, post in the forum if you need any help
Rock

Re: vista reinstall
"Jimbob" <Jimbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The solution offered by rock is way overly complicated. You can get a
> linux
> livecd from the intenet which will boot up your computer into ram so you
> can
> get access to your files without any major surgery - don't worry - it
> won't
> do anything to your hard drive, just stick it in the cd drive, boot it up,
> copy your files to a USB or something and your done. There are lots
> available, check out www.ubuntu.com, post in the forum if you need any
> help

Installing a drive as a slave drive or putting it in an external drive
enclosure is not what I would call way overly complicated.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Dennis Pack

Re: vista reinstall
Rock:
Your reply was extremely complicated for a linux troll. If you
notice Jimbob's replies are of no help in the operation of Vista or any
Windows based system. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64
"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Jimbob" <Jimbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The solution offered by rock is way overly complicated. You can get a
>> linux
>> livecd from the intenet which will boot up your computer into ram so you
>> can
>> get access to your files without any major surgery - don't worry - it
>> won't
>> do anything to your hard drive, just stick it in the cd drive, boot it
>> up,
>> copy your files to a USB or something and your done. There are lots
>> available, check out www.ubuntu.com, post in the forum if you need any
>> help

> Installing a drive as a slave drive or putting it in an external drive
> enclosure is not what I would call way overly complicated.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

surf324mi

Re: vista reinstall
can i install xp then vista again? or anyother way to get vista going?thank you

"Rock" wrote:

> "surf324mi" wrote
> >i did a istall of vista home premium over xp home after about 2 wks it
> > started crashing after 10 minutes ihave a nvidia 6800gs card updated
> > drivers
> > ,no programs show conflict i did mem test that was ok so i put vista disk
> > in
> > and selected repair it came up as unable to repair so i selected vista
> > install it started then after awhile stopped the computer now only boots
> > the intel screen then keeps doing rebbot over and over f8 keys says
> > damaged
> > or missing file winload.exe status oxcoooof,
> > cannot getit to read off dvd anymore donot want to wipe drive clean as i
> > did
> > not backup please help!

> The first thing you need to do is backup the data.
>
> Take the drive out of the computer and install it as a slave drive in
> another Windows Vista or XP . It should read the drive ok, so you can copy
> the data. A variation of this is to put the drive in an external drive
> enclosure and connect that to the other computer.
>
> You might need to take ownership of the files and folders you want to copy.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: vista reinstall
"surf324mi" wrote
> can i install xp then vista again? or anyother way to get vista
> going?thank you
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "surf324mi" wrote
>> >i did a istall of vista home premium over xp home after about 2 wks it
>> > started crashing after 10 minutes ihave a nvidia 6800gs card updated
>> > drivers
>> > ,no programs show conflict i did mem test that was ok so i put vista
>> > disk
>> > in
>> > and selected repair it came up as unable to repair so i selected vista
>> > install it started then after awhile stopped the computer now only
>> > boots
>> > the intel screen then keeps doing rebbot over and over f8 keys says
>> > damaged
>> > or missing file winload.exe status oxcoooof,
>> > cannot getit to read off dvd anymore donot want to wipe drive clean as
>> > did
>> > not backup please help!

>> The first thing you need to do is backup the data.
>>
>> Take the drive out of the computer and install it as a slave drive in
>> another Windows Vista or XP . It should read the drive ok, so you can
>> copy
>> the data. A variation of this is to put the drive in an external drive
>> enclosure and connect that to the other computer.
>>
>> You might need to take ownership of the files and folders you want to
>> copy.

Yes you can reinstall XP then Vista, or use the double install method to
reinstall Vista clean, which works with an upgrade version of Vista, as long
as you own a copy of XP as a qualifying OS. I am assuming that's what you
used, when you said "i did a istall of vista home premium over xp home..."

Here is a link to an article on how to do a clean install of Vista with an
upgrade version. Many times an upgrade will give problems but a clean
install will be fine. Make sure you have Vista drivers for all the
hardware, and check on the Vista compatibility of all software you plan to
use.

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: vista reinstall
"Dennis Pack" wrote
> Rock:
> Your reply was extremely complicated for a linux troll. If you
> notice Jimbob's replies are of no help in the operation of Vista or any
> Windows based system. Have a great day.

<snip>

Lol, how true that is. He's a typical troll.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]