Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista

jamndar

Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista
Well I took the plunge and downloaded Vista last night. I'm been trying to
finish the installation since 5am and it's now 1:20PM. The upgrade appeared
to go fine, restarting several times. From the time my computer hits the
post message, after restart, until the windows little logo comes up is only a
few seconds, however, from there until it gets to the login screen is
anywhere from 5-7 minutes. Then after choosing my user, it takes 10-15
minutes with "Preparing Your Desktop". Once at the desktop, I get a message
that there were startup applications blocked and to view them, click the
balloon. I do that and after 10-15 more minutes my system locks and I
receive a tone. I pressed IE to get to the internet and woah... it took
almost 8 minutes just to bring up IE and another 5 minutes to load my home
page. Here's my specs:

Pentinum IV dual 2.8Ghz
4GB RAM
SATA 10k RPM 160GB HD
NVidia 8800GTX
IE7 & Firefox

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
R. C. White

Re: Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista
Hi, jamndar.

> Well I took the plunge and downloaded Vista last night.

You downloaded Vista? Last night? From where?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"jamndar" <jamndar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I took the plunge and downloaded Vista last night. I'm been trying
> finish the installation since 5am and it's now 1:20PM. The upgrade
> appeared
> to go fine, restarting several times. From the time my computer hits the
> post message, after restart, until the windows little logo comes up is
> only a
> few seconds, however, from there until it gets to the login screen is
> anywhere from 5-7 minutes. Then after choosing my user, it takes 10-15
> minutes with "Preparing Your Desktop". Once at the desktop, I get a
> message
> that there were startup applications blocked and to view them, click the
> balloon. I do that and after 10-15 more minutes my system locks and I
> receive a tone. I pressed IE to get to the internet and woah... it took
> almost 8 minutes just to bring up IE and another 5 minutes to load my home
> page. Here's my specs:
>
> Pentinum IV dual 2.8Ghz
> 4GB RAM
> SATA 10k RPM 160GB HD
> NVidia 8800GTX
> IE7 & Firefox
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

JW

Re: Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista
If you have Vista 32 bit then try reducing your memory to 2 GB.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Also how much virtual memory do you have set up?

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, jamndar.
>
>> Well I took the plunge and downloaded Vista last night.

> You downloaded Vista? Last night? From where?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "jamndar" <jamndar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Well I took the plunge and downloaded Vista last night. I'm been trying
>> finish the installation since 5am and it's now 1:20PM. The upgrade
>> appeared
>> to go fine, restarting several times. From the time my computer hits the
>> post message, after restart, until the windows little logo comes up is
>> only a
>> few seconds, however, from there until it gets to the login screen is
>> anywhere from 5-7 minutes. Then after choosing my user, it takes 10-15
>> minutes with "Preparing Your Desktop". Once at the desktop, I get a
>> message
>> that there were startup applications blocked and to view them, click the
>> balloon. I do that and after 10-15 more minutes my system locks and I
>> receive a tone. I pressed IE to get to the internet and woah... it took
>> almost 8 minutes just to bring up IE and another 5 minutes to load my
>> home
>> page. Here's my specs:
>>
>> Pentinum IV dual 2.8Ghz
>> 4GB RAM
>> SATA 10k RPM 160GB HD
>> NVidia 8800GTX
>> IE7 & Firefox
>>
>> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

peter

Re: Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista
And of course you loaded the Vista SATA drivers for your specific Mobo(which
ever one that is) during the install
and then loaded the Vista drivers for the other devices on your Mobo...like
Network Card...Sound....Video..etc etc.
mmmm???
peter
"jamndar" <jamndar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I took the plunge and downloaded Vista last night. I'm been trying
> finish the installation since 5am and it's now 1:20PM. The upgrade
> appeared
> to go fine, restarting several times. From the time my computer hits the
> post message, after restart, until the windows little logo comes up is
> only a
> few seconds, however, from there until it gets to the login screen is
> anywhere from 5-7 minutes. Then after choosing my user, it takes 10-15
> minutes with "Preparing Your Desktop". Once at the desktop, I get a
> message
> that there were startup applications blocked and to view them, click the
> balloon. I do that and after 10-15 more minutes my system locks and I
> receive a tone. I pressed IE to get to the internet and woah... it took
> almost 8 minutes just to bring up IE and another 5 minutes to load my home
> page. Here's my specs:
>
> Pentinum IV dual 2.8Ghz
> 4GB RAM
> SATA 10k RPM 160GB HD
> NVidia 8800GTX
> IE7 & Firefox
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

jamndar

Re: Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista
I didn't download the SATA drivers for my MOBO. But all other devices yes I
did. Thanks Peter.

Wow JW I didn't realize that, I'll try removing 2GB of RAM and see if that
improves my situation. Currently it takes 10-15 minutes just to get to the
desktop. Once at the desktop, it takes approx 6 minutes before I can click
anything. Once I click something, it takes another 6 minutes before I can
take my next action. Also, when trying to run applications, I double click,
wait 6 minutes, get prompted by User Access Control to continue (Stating
windows needs permission to continue), I click "Continue", receive a black
screen, wait 6 minutes for the desktop to reappear and proceed 1 step at a
time with 6 minute pauses between each.

R.C. - I downloaded from Windowsmarketplace.com. However, Microsofts
download application kept erroring out, so Mark, at windowsmarketplace.com
responded to my request for assistance downloading by utilizing http and my
browser. His solution worked and i was able to perform the download of 3
files and run the installation.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out, but probably won't be until
tomorrow as it's already 7:20PM CST here and I doubt if I'll be able to
address them all tonight.

Thanks again for your responses!

"peter" wrote:

> And of course you loaded the Vista SATA drivers for your specific Mobo(which
> ever one that is) during the install
> and then loaded the Vista drivers for the other devices on your Mobo...like
> Network Card...Sound....Video..etc etc.
> mmmm???
> peter
> "jamndar" <jamndar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well I took the plunge and downloaded Vista last night. I'm been trying
> > finish the installation since 5am and it's now 1:20PM. The upgrade
> > appeared
> > to go fine, restarting several times. From the time my computer hits the
> > post message, after restart, until the windows little logo comes up is
> > only a
> > few seconds, however, from there until it gets to the login screen is
> > anywhere from 5-7 minutes. Then after choosing my user, it takes 10-15
> > minutes with "Preparing Your Desktop". Once at the desktop, I get a
> > message
> > that there were startup applications blocked and to view them, click the
> > balloon. I do that and after 10-15 more minutes my system locks and I
> > receive a tone. I pressed IE to get to the internet and woah... it took
> > almost 8 minutes just to bring up IE and another 5 minutes to load my home
> > page. Here's my specs:
> >
> > Pentinum IV dual 2.8Ghz
> > 4GB RAM
> > SATA 10k RPM 160GB HD
> > NVidia 8800GTX
> > IE7 & Firefox
> >
> > Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Roedy Green

Re: Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:33:01 -0700, jamndar
<jamndar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

> I do that and after 10-15 more minutes my system locks and I
>receive a tone. I pressed IE to get to the internet and woah... it took
>almost 8 minutes just to bring up IE and another 5 minutes to load my home
>page. Here's my specs:

Sounds like your TPC/IP needs some tweaking.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/tcpip.html and follow the links.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
jamndar

Re: Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista
Roedy, Nothing changed in my TCP/IP settings, not even the IP address of my
machine. I turned off User Access Control and now internet loads fine,
however, no change in how long it takes to load to the desktop or run an
appication/control panel/etc... Thanks for your response.

"Roedy Green" wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:33:01 -0700, jamndar
> <jamndar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
> > I do that and after 10-15 more minutes my system locks and I
> >receive a tone. I pressed IE to get to the internet and woah... it took
> >almost 8 minutes just to bring up IE and another 5 minutes to load my home
> >page. Here's my specs:

> Sounds like your TPC/IP needs some tweaking.
>
> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/tcpip.html and follow the links.
> --
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossary
> http://mindprod.com

Jimbob

RE: Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista
You say in your system specs that you only have 4Gb of ram - this probably
isn't enough to run the premium version of vista - you can try turning off
the areo-glass effects to see if that makes a difference.
jamndar

RE: Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista
Well according to the system requirements for Vista Ultimate, I surpass all
requirements immensely.

Required I have
1Ghz 32-bit (x86) 2.8Ghz Dual-Core FX-62
1GB RAM 4GB RAM
15GB Free Space 130GB Free Space

And when I ran advisor it selected "Ultimate" with all features as the one I
should be able to run.

Thanks for your response!

"Jimbob" wrote:

> You say in your system specs that you only have 4Gb of ram - this probably
> isn't enough to run the premium version of vista - you can try turning off
> the areo-glass effects to see if that makes a difference.

Dave

Re: Computer Slow After Upgrading To Vista
Have you run task manager to see if anything is spinning the machine?

A 2G system on an E6600 runs Vista Ultimate w/ aero just fine. 'Course
depends on what you are running but 2 copies of VS.Net run well alongside
several other active programs.

- Dave