Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Upgrade or full version?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007
ATCStephen
 

Posts: n/a
Upgrade or full version?
I bought Vista and installed it on my desktop. I mistakenly thought I could
also install it on my laptop. I was able to install it on the laptop as well
for a short time but just recently it advised that the copy was not genuine.
When I called Microsoft I learned then that it could only be installed on
one computer and that I should buy another. My question is do I need to buy
the full version or will the upgrade suffice? Thanks in advance.

Stephen


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007
Bruce Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade or full version?
ATCStephen wrote:
> I bought Vista and installed it on my desktop. I mistakenly thought I could
> also install it on my laptop. I was able to install it on the laptop as well
> for a short time but just recently it advised that the copy was not genuine.
> When I called Microsoft I learned then that it could only be installed on
> one computer and that I should buy another. My question is do I need to buy
> the full version or will the upgrade suffice? Thanks in advance.
>
> Stephen
>
>



If there's a license for an earlier, qualifying OS on the laptop, an
Upgrade license for Vista would suffice.

Upgrade Paths from Previous Versions
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007
ATCStephen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade or full version?


"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> ATCStephen wrote:
> > I bought Vista and installed it on my desktop. I mistakenly thought I could
> > also install it on my laptop. I was able to install it on the laptop as well
> > for a short time but just recently it advised that the copy was not genuine.
> > When I called Microsoft I learned then that it could only be installed on
> > one computer and that I should buy another. My question is do I need to buy
> > the full version or will the upgrade suffice? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Stephen
> >
> >

>
>
> If there's a license for an earlier, qualifying OS on the laptop, an
> Upgrade license for Vista would suffice.
>
> Upgrade Paths from Previous Versions
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
>
> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell


Thanks Bruce,

I guess my next question is "Do I need to do a complete install?" The
computer originally had XP then as I said i was able to install Vista over
that. Now it seems to indicate that there is no operating system yet I am
able to connect to the internet with limited functionality as Vista calls it.
Thanks.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007
Bruce Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade or full version?
ATCStephen wrote:
>
>
>
> I guess my next question is "Do I need to do a complete install?" The
> computer originally had XP then as I said i was able to install Vista over
> that. Now it seems to indicate that there is no operating system yet I am
> able to connect to the internet with limited functionality as Vista calls it.
> Thanks.



You've left out a couple of essential bits of pertinent information
about this process:

1) What specific edition of WinXP (Home, Pro, MCE, x64, etc) was/is
currently installed on the laptop?

2) What specific edition of Vista (Home Basic or Premium, Business, or
Ultimate) did you use to perform the failed upgrade?

3) What specific edition (Home Basic or Premium, Business, or Ultimate)
of Vista Upgrade are you using to try to correct the situation?

There are some very specific supported upgrade paths, and not all
versions of Vista can upgrade all versions of WinXP.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which version to buy? Upgrade or Full =?Utf-8?B?S2lt?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 6 03-21-2007 14:20
Cost of upgrade from RC1 to Full Version =?Utf-8?B?SmVzc2U=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 02-28-2007 19:58
Upgrade with full version? Nigel Molesworth microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 02-12-2007 19:07
Upgrade using full version =?Utf-8?B?RGVlcmhha2U0NA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 02-03-2007 22:26
Vista Upgrade or full version? =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBGLg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 10 01-31-2007 05:43




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:55.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120