Vista won't boot from new PC

grarap

Vista won't boot from new PC
Hey all. Just built a new computer, and everything is functioning well.
However, when I insert my Vista Home Premium 64 bit into the drive,
absolutely nothing happens.

I have tried EVERYTHING. I've checked the drive itself, inserted other CDs
(they all worked), modified the boot priorities in the BIOS, checked to see
if the vista CD worked on my laptop (it does), but when I insert it into my
DVD drive it sounds as if the disc can't be read.

Help please!
John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista won't boot from new PC
The components of your machine are of 64 Bit architecture, I assume? A 64
bit copy of Vista or XP will not run on 32 bit systems.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"grarap" <grarap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey all. Just built a new computer, and everything is functioning well.
> However, when I insert my Vista Home Premium 64 bit into the drive,
> absolutely nothing happens.
>
> I have tried EVERYTHING. I've checked the drive itself, inserted other CDs
> (they all worked), modified the boot priorities in the BIOS, checked to
> see
> if the vista CD worked on my laptop (it does), but when I insert it into
> my
> DVD drive it sounds as if the disc can't be read.
>
> Help please!

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista won't boot from new PC
Try cleaning the DVD. I use a soft lint free cloth under luke warm running
water from the tap. If it still won't boot then it may be that the DVD and
the drive aren't compatible. Some drives won't read some media. Both are
made so cheaply that it's not an unusual situation. Try copying the DVD on a
different computer and see if the copy works. Try a different drive in the
new computer.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"grarap" <grarap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey all. Just built a new computer, and everything is functioning well.
> However, when I insert my Vista Home Premium 64 bit into the drive,
> absolutely nothing happens.
>
> I have tried EVERYTHING. I've checked the drive itself, inserted other CDs
> (they all worked), modified the boot priorities in the BIOS, checked to
> see
> if the vista CD worked on my laptop (it does), but when I insert it into
> my
> DVD drive it sounds as if the disc can't be read.
>
> Help please!

grarap

Re: Vista won't boot from new PC
Nope, my processor is an E6420. I'm sure that's 64bit

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> The components of your machine are of 64 Bit architecture, I assume? A 64
> bit copy of Vista or XP will not run on 32 bit systems.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "grarap" <grarap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey all. Just built a new computer, and everything is functioning well.
> > However, when I insert my Vista Home Premium 64 bit into the drive,
> > absolutely nothing happens.
> >
> > I have tried EVERYTHING. I've checked the drive itself, inserted other CDs
> > (they all worked), modified the boot priorities in the BIOS, checked to
> > see
> > if the vista CD worked on my laptop (it does), but when I insert it into
> > my
> > DVD drive it sounds as if the disc can't be read.
> >
> > Help please!

JW

Re: Vista won't boot from new PC
If you put a regular movie in the DVD drive on your new computer and set the
boot sequence to boot from it first does it try and boot and give you the
error message no Operating system found on the Drive?

> Nope, my processor is an E6420. I'm sure that's 64bit
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> The components of your machine are of 64 Bit architecture, I assume? A 64
>> bit copy of Vista or XP will not run on 32 bit systems.
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "grarap" <grarap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey all. Just built a new computer, and everything is functioning well.
>> > However, when I insert my Vista Home Premium 64 bit into the drive,
>> > absolutely nothing happens.
>> >
>> > I have tried EVERYTHING. I've checked the drive itself, inserted other
>> > CDs
>> > (they all worked), modified the boot priorities in the BIOS, checked to
>> > see
>> > if the vista CD worked on my laptop (it does), but when I insert it
>> > into
>> > my
>> > DVD drive it sounds as if the disc can't be read.
>> >
>> > Help please!

grarap

Re: Vista won't boot from new PC
Hey guys. Attactched my old DVD drive and now Vista boots! Thanks!

However, now I have a new problem. Vista can't seem to find my hard drive,
and when it scans for drivers it can't find anything. This happens even when
the motherboard driver CD is in the drive. Anybody got any solutions? I can't
find any drivers on the manufacturer's website. The mobo is a Gigabyte
P35-DS3R

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Try cleaning the DVD. I use a soft lint free cloth under luke warm running
> water from the tap. If it still won't boot then it may be that the DVD and
> the drive aren't compatible. Some drives won't read some media. Both are
> made so cheaply that it's not an unusual situation. Try copying the DVD on a
> different computer and see if the copy works. Try a different drive in the
> new computer.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "grarap" <grarap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey all. Just built a new computer, and everything is functioning well.
> > However, when I insert my Vista Home Premium 64 bit into the drive,
> > absolutely nothing happens.
> >
> > I have tried EVERYTHING. I've checked the drive itself, inserted other CDs
> > (they all worked), modified the boot priorities in the BIOS, checked to
> > see
> > if the vista CD worked on my laptop (it does), but when I insert it into
> > my
> > DVD drive it sounds as if the disc can't be read.
> >
> > Help please!

grarap

Re: Vista won't boot from new PC
By the way, I know for sure that my HDD is attatched. It registers in my BIOS

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Try cleaning the DVD. I use a soft lint free cloth under luke warm running
> water from the tap. If it still won't boot then it may be that the DVD and
> the drive aren't compatible. Some drives won't read some media. Both are
> made so cheaply that it's not an unusual situation. Try copying the DVD on a
> different computer and see if the copy works. Try a different drive in the
> new computer.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "grarap" <grarap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey all. Just built a new computer, and everything is functioning well.
> > However, when I insert my Vista Home Premium 64 bit into the drive,
> > absolutely nothing happens.
> >
> > I have tried EVERYTHING. I've checked the drive itself, inserted other CDs
> > (they all worked), modified the boot priorities in the BIOS, checked to
> > see
> > if the vista CD worked on my laptop (it does), but when I insert it into
> > my
> > DVD drive it sounds as if the disc can't be read.
> >
> > Help please!

JW

Re: Vista won't boot from new PC

You should not need to install drivers from a CD for your HDD.
Is your HDD already formatted in NTFS or Fat32 format?
Do you have the latest BIOS for your MOBO?
If you have a copy of an older OS can you try and install it and see if it
sees your HDD?
> By the way, I know for sure that my HDD is attatched. It registers in my
> BIOS
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Try cleaning the DVD. I use a soft lint free cloth under luke warm
>> running
>> water from the tap. If it still won't boot then it may be that the DVD
>> and
>> the drive aren't compatible. Some drives won't read some media. Both are
>> made so cheaply that it's not an unusual situation. Try copying the DVD
>> on a
>> different computer and see if the copy works. Try a different drive in
>> the
>> new computer.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "grarap" <grarap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey all. Just built a new computer, and everything is functioning well.
>> > However, when I insert my Vista Home Premium 64 bit into the drive,
>> > absolutely nothing happens.
>> >
>> > I have tried EVERYTHING. I've checked the drive itself, inserted other
>> > CDs
>> > (they all worked), modified the boot priorities in the BIOS, checked to
>> > see
>> > if the vista CD worked on my laptop (it does), but when I insert it
>> > into
>> > my
>> > DVD drive it sounds as if the disc can't be read.
>> >
>> > Help please!

peter

Re: Vista won't boot from new PC
SATA drive...right??
need to install the drivers during the Vista Install
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...me=GA-P35-DS3R
peter
> Hey guys. Attactched my old DVD drive and now Vista boots! Thanks!
>
> However, now I have a new problem. Vista can't seem to find my hard drive,
> and when it scans for drivers it can't find anything. This happens even
> when
> the motherboard driver CD is in the drive. Anybody got any solutions? I
> can't
> find any drivers on the manufacturer's website. The mobo is a Gigabyte
> P35-DS3R
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Try cleaning the DVD. I use a soft lint free cloth under luke warm
>> running
>> water from the tap. If it still won't boot then it may be that the DVD
>> and
>> the drive aren't compatible. Some drives won't read some media. Both are
>> made so cheaply that it's not an unusual situation. Try copying the DVD
>> on a
>> different computer and see if the copy works. Try a different drive in
>> the
>> new computer.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "grarap" <grarap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey all. Just built a new computer, and everything is functioning well.
>> > However, when I insert my Vista Home Premium 64 bit into the drive,
>> > absolutely nothing happens.
>> >
>> > I have tried EVERYTHING. I've checked the drive itself, inserted other
>> > CDs
>> > (they all worked), modified the boot priorities in the BIOS, checked to
>> > see
>> > if the vista CD worked on my laptop (it does), but when I insert it
>> > into
>> > my
>> > DVD drive it sounds as if the disc can't be read.
>> >
>> > Help please!

grarap

Re: Vista won't boot from new PC
Well I just purchased it. Ive got no idea if or how it's formatted. I could
flash my BIOS I guess.