Removing Norton Protection

Jay Somerset

Removing Norton Protection
Now that my free trial period of Norton Protection (etc.) is over, I
uninstalled it and LiveUpdate using the standard Vista uninstall
facilities. Lots of folders and Registry entries remained.

Then tried using the latest Norton Removal Tool, which is supposed to
remove ALL bits and pieces. No visible improvement -- still have a
lot of residual Symantec folders and Registry entries hanging around.

Is there no way to get rid of all this junk otghe than manually
deleting each and every folder and registry entry?
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
Richard Urban

Re: Removing Norton Protection
Norton/Symantec and McAfee are on the same plane as A.O.L.

For years now I have considered them worse than the malicious stuff they try
to protect us against. If you truly want to get rid of everything Norton -
reformat your system partition and start fresh. If all you have is the
recovery media supplied by the computer manufacturer you are out of luck,
unless you are willing to purchase a generic OEM or retail copy of the
operating system.

I will not allow anything from Norton/Symantec or McAfee near any computer I
maintain.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jay Somerset" <jay-1941-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Now that my free trial period of Norton Protection (etc.) is over, I
> uninstalled it and LiveUpdate using the standard Vista uninstall
> facilities. Lots of folders and Registry entries remained.
>
> Then tried using the latest Norton Removal Tool, which is supposed to
> remove ALL bits and pieces. No visible improvement -- still have a
> lot of residual Symantec folders and Registry entries hanging around.
>
> Is there no way to get rid of all this junk otghe than manually
> deleting each and every folder and registry entry?
> --
> Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

Jay Somerset

Re: Removing Norton Protection
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:23:14 -0400, "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Norton/Symantec and McAfee are on the same plane as A.O.L.
>
>For years now I have considered them worse than the malicious stuff they try
>to protect us against. If you truly want to get rid of everything Norton -
>reformat your system partition and start fresh. If all you have is the
>recovery media supplied by the computer manufacturer you are out of luck,
>unless you are willing to purchase a generic OEM or retail copy of the
>operating system.

That cure is even worse than the illness. :-) If there is no "nice"
alternative, I guess I'll just have to go in and remove each and every
Symantec/Norton registry entry by hand.

>I will not allow anything from Norton/Symantec or McAfee near any computer I
>maintain.

I'll not in the future, but the damned stuff was already installed
when I bought the laptop.
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
Richard Urban

Re: Removing Norton Protection
An acquaintance recently purchased a Toshiba laptop. It came with McAfee
installed and running. He had so many different problems. He finally, out of
desperation, purchased a retail copy of Vista so that he could start clean.
Needless to say, the problems that he had been experiencing are no longer
present.

--

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:23:14 -0400, "Richard Urban"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Norton/Symantec and McAfee are on the same plane as A.O.L.
>>
>>For years now I have considered them worse than the malicious stuff they
>>try
>>to protect us against. If you truly want to get rid of everything Norton -
>>reformat your system partition and start fresh. If all you have is the
>>recovery media supplied by the computer manufacturer you are out of luck,
>>unless you are willing to purchase a generic OEM or retail copy of the
>>operating system.

> That cure is even worse than the illness. :-) If there is no "nice"
> alternative, I guess I'll just have to go in and remove each and every
> Symantec/Norton registry entry by hand.
>

>>I will not allow anything from Norton/Symantec or McAfee near any computer
>>maintain.

> I'll not in the future, but the damned stuff was already installed
> when I bought the laptop.
> --
> Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

HeyBub

Jay Somerset wrote:
> Now that my free trial period of Norton Protection (etc.) is over, I
> uninstalled it and LiveUpdate using the standard Vista uninstall
> facilities. Lots of folders and Registry entries remained.
>
> Then tried using the latest Norton Removal Tool, which is supposed to
> remove ALL bits and pieces. No visible improvement -- still have a
> lot of residual Symantec folders and Registry entries hanging around.
>
> Is there no way to get rid of all this junk otghe than manually
> deleting each and every folder and registry entry?

Norton/Symantec is the barnacle of the software world. I'm afraid you'll
have to edit the registry to remove all traces of "Norton" and its various
synonyms.

After scraping the registry, you should be able to remove various folders,
etc.

(Make a backup of the Registry first.)

Jay Somerset

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:42:54 -0500, "HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote:

>Norton/Symantec is the barnacle of the software world. I'm afraid you'll
>have to edit the registry to remove all traces of "Norton" and its various
>synonyms.
>
>After scraping the registry, you should be able to remove various folders,
>etc.
>
>(Make a backup of the Registry first.)

I've done just that, but with no backup. "Backups are for wimps" -- I
read that somewhere, and not wanting to be considered a wimp, ... :-)
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
Lynneh10

"Jay Somerset" wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:42:54 -0500, "HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Norton/Symantec is the barnacle of the software world. I'm afraid you'll
> >have to edit the registry to remove all traces of "Norton" and its various
> >synonyms.
> >
> >After scraping the registry, you should be able to remove various folders,
> >etc.
> >
> >(Make a backup of the Registry first.)

> I've done just that, but with no backup. "Backups are for wimps" -- I
> read that somewhere, and not wanting to be considered a wimp, ... :-)
> --
> Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

Here is the drill:
Go to Symantec.com and in the search window type NRT (that is the Norton
removal tool necessary for total removal.) Choose the one for your computer.
It will want to re-install its software after it removes your old version.
Just stop the progam after it removes it and reboot your computer. I choose
to clear all temporary Internet files and cookies to just be safe afterwards.
Now you can install a GOOD anti-virus program to your liking.