Activated .. maybe I shouldn't have?

Rod Davies

Activated .. maybe I shouldn't have?
I bought a copy of Vista Home Premium for the wife.

I built a new PC for her from components from 2 yr old P4s.

I acivated Vista, no probs.

But, I now realise:

1. I cant put her 2nd HDD into this PC (no space!) and she 'needs' that 2nd
drive as it holds all her data...kept separate from applications and O/S on
disc 1 and
2. The motherboard in the PC I built wont support Aero (not enough on board
memory on the builtin Video card).

So I have to start again. But re the Activation, I WON'T be able to do it
again online as I did yesterday with this PC, right? I am going to have to
phone it in?

Rgds
Rod

Rock

Re: Activated .. maybe I shouldn't have?
"Rod Davies" wrote
>I bought a copy of Vista Home Premium for the wife.
>
> I built a new PC for her from components from 2 yr old P4s.
>
> I acivated Vista, no probs.
>
> But, I now realise:
>
> 1. I cant put her 2nd HDD into this PC (no space!) and she 'needs' that
> 2nd
> drive as it holds all her data...kept separate from applications and O/S
> on
> disc 1 and
> 2. The motherboard in the PC I built wont support Aero (not enough on
> board
> memory on the builtin Video card).
>
> So I have to start again. But re the Activation, I WON'T be able to do it
> again online as I did yesterday with this PC, right? I am going to have to
> phone it in?

Didn't you post this same question recently? I recollect answering this
before. In any event, if it's a retail version it can be moved to a new
computer. OEM versions cannot by the license. If a retail version, then
install and you'll need to phone in for activation. Last time I did it by
phoning, it wouldn't take work with the automated system so I was then
transferred to a real person who completed the activation. The whole call
took 13 minutes.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rod Davies

Re: Activated .. maybe I shouldn't have?
I THOUGHT I HAD posted yesterday, but when I checked an hour or so ago, I
couldn't find my original post for love nor money. Sorry to have replicated
my query Rock...and tks anyways for reply(s) !!

Rgds
Rod

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Rod Davies" wrote
>>I bought a copy of Vista Home Premium for the wife.
>>
>> I built a new PC for her from components from 2 yr old P4s.
>>
>> I acivated Vista, no probs.
>>
>> But, I now realise:
>>
>> 1. I cant put her 2nd HDD into this PC (no space!) and she 'needs' that
>> 2nd
>> drive as it holds all her data...kept separate from applications and O/S
>> on
>> disc 1 and
>> 2. The motherboard in the PC I built wont support Aero (not enough on
>> board
>> memory on the builtin Video card).
>>
>> So I have to start again. But re the Activation, I WON'T be able to do it
>> again online as I did yesterday with this PC, right? I am going to have
>> phone it in?

> Didn't you post this same question recently? I recollect answering this
> before. In any event, if it's a retail version it can be moved to a new
> computer. OEM versions cannot by the license. If a retail version, then
> install and you'll need to phone in for activation. Last time I did it by
> phoning, it wouldn't take work with the automated system so I was then
> transferred to a real person who completed the activation. The whole call
> took 13 minutes.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Activated .. maybe I shouldn't have?
You could add a USB hard drive to the system without having to reactivate,
or change the case to give you more space to add an internal drive..

Adding a video card to the system is easy, but may require activation across
the phone..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Rod Davies

Re: Activated .. maybe I shouldn't have?
Tks Mike.

Its an HP Evo case, and has the vid card built into the motherboard. No
physical ROOM for a dedicated vid card unfortunately, nor for her existing
second HDD. Its a bloody little case alright! Mmmm, to your other point
though, I might have another case I can find at work....

Tks for reply
Rod

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You could add a USB hard drive to the system without having to reactivate,
> or change the case to give you more space to add an internal drive..
>
> Adding a video card to the system is easy, but may require activation
> across the phone..
>

> "Rod Davies" <ldavies@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message
>>I bought a copy of Vista Home Premium for the wife.
>>
>> I built a new PC for her from components from 2 yr old P4s.
>>
>> I acivated Vista, no probs.
>>
>> But, I now realise:
>>
>> 1. I cant put her 2nd HDD into this PC (no space!) and she 'needs' that
>> 2nd
>> drive as it holds all her data...kept separate from applications and O/S
>> on
>> disc 1 and
>> 2. The motherboard in the PC I built wont support Aero (not enough on
>> board
>> memory on the builtin Video card).
>>
>> So I have to start again. But re the Activation, I WON'T be able to do it
>> again online as I did yesterday with this PC, right? I am going to have
>> phone it in?
>>
>> Rgds
>> Rod
>>

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Rock

Re: Activated .. maybe I shouldn't have?
"Rod Davies" <ldavies@tpgi.com.au> wrote
>I THOUGHT I HAD posted yesterday, but when I checked an hour or so ago, I
>couldn't find my original post for love nor money. Sorry to have replicated
>my query Rock...and tks anyways for reply(s) !!

Lol, you're welcome.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Activated .. maybe I shouldn't have?
Ensure that the new case has a power supply.. the PS that HP uses in the
small cases will not fit into a standard case.. everything else should be
fine though.. good luck..

> Tks Mike.
>
> Its an HP Evo case, and has the vid card built into the motherboard. No
> physical ROOM for a dedicated vid card unfortunately, nor for her existing
> second HDD. Its a bloody little case alright! Mmmm, to your other point
> though, I might have another case I can find at work....
>
> Tks for reply
> Rod
>
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> You could add a USB hard drive to the system without having to
>> reactivate, or change the case to give you more space to add an internal
>> drive..
>>
>> Adding a video card to the system is easy, but may require activation
>> across the phone..
>>

>> "Rod Davies" <ldavies@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message
>>>I bought a copy of Vista Home Premium for the wife.
>>>
>>> I built a new PC for her from components from 2 yr old P4s.
>>>
>>> I acivated Vista, no probs.
>>>
>>> But, I now realise:
>>>
>>> 1. I cant put her 2nd HDD into this PC (no space!) and she 'needs' that
>>> 2nd
>>> drive as it holds all her data...kept separate from applications and O/S
>>> on
>>> disc 1 and
>>> 2. The motherboard in the PC I built wont support Aero (not enough on
>>> board
>>> memory on the builtin Video card).
>>>
>>> So I have to start again. But re the Activation, I WON'T be able to do
>>> it
>>> again online as I did yesterday with this PC, right? I am going to have
>>> phone it in?
>>>
>>> Rgds
>>> Rod
>>>

>> --
>>

>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

BigJim

Re: Activated .. maybe I shouldn't have?
usb hard drive is a good idea but as far as supporting areo you probably
don't have the memory or the proper graphic chip set to do so.
The basic chipset for areo is the integrated intel 950. If you can't add a
video card you are out of luck.