Installing VistaBootPro on XP?

Don

Installing VistaBootPro on XP?
You regulars know that questions about installing XP after
Vista are very common. The major problem is that Vista's
boot manager needs to be re-installed afterwards to allow
dual booting between XP and Vista.

Using VistaBootPro seems to me the easiest way for a newbie
to reinstall the Vista boot manager, but that same newbie
is not able to boot back into Vista after installing his
new XP.

The obvious solution is to install VistaBootPro on his new
XP installation and run it from there. But -- will this
actually work correctly? Has anyone actually tried it to
make sure? The different treatment of disk letters by the
two OS's seems the likely point of failure in my scenario.

Randy

RE: Installing VistaBootPro on XP?
On my situation, i suggest you boot with your vista installation dvd, and go
to startup repair to restore bcd , after booting into vista, then install
vistabootpro to retrieve windows xp. At least, that worked on my desktop.

"Don" wrote:

> You regulars know that questions about installing XP after
> Vista are very common. The major problem is that Vista's
> boot manager needs to be re-installed afterwards to allow
> dual booting between XP and Vista.
>
> Using VistaBootPro seems to me the easiest way for a newbie
> to reinstall the Vista boot manager, but that same newbie
> is not able to boot back into Vista after installing his
> new XP.
>
> The obvious solution is to install VistaBootPro on his new
> XP installation and run it from there. But -- will this
> actually work correctly? Has anyone actually tried it to
> make sure? The different treatment of disk letters by the
> two OS's seems the likely point of failure in my scenario.

...winston

Re: Installing VistaBootPro on XP?
Yes..
Its a roundabout method..but it can work.

If using VistaBootPro on XP these things should be done in this sequence

0. During VistaBootPro install on XP, if not present install NetFramework 2.0(required VistaBootPro won't run without it)
1. Do not backup the BCD if prompted(do that later in Vista or after a successful restart of both o/s).
2. Install the Vista boot loader
3. Run Diagnostics(once complete you'll end up on the manage os screen)
3. Two entries should be complete, Vista and XP(Earlier version of Windows), leave as is or modify the names, then select one as default.

If you wish Windows to do it or it fails..rerun the Vista installation cd performing a repair install, install VistaBootPro in Vista and then add XP etc..

..winston

:
: Using VistaBootPro seems to me the easiest way for a newbie
: to reinstall the Vista boot manager, but that same newbie
: is not able to boot back into Vista after installing his
: new XP.
:
: The obvious solution is to install VistaBootPro on his new
: XP installation and run it from there. But -- will this
: actually work correctly? Has anyone actually tried it to
: make sure? The different treatment of disk letters by the
: two OS's seems the likely point of failure in my scenario.
:
Rock

Re: Installing VistaBootPro on XP?
"Don" <wrote
> You regulars know that questions about installing XP after
> Vista are very common. The major problem is that Vista's
> boot manager needs to be re-installed afterwards to allow
> dual booting between XP and Vista.
>
> Using VistaBootPro seems to me the easiest way for a newbie
> to reinstall the Vista boot manager, but that same newbie
> is not able to boot back into Vista after installing his
> new XP.
>
> The obvious solution is to install VistaBootPro on his new
> XP installation and run it from there. But -- will this
> actually work correctly? Has anyone actually tried it to
> make sure? The different treatment of disk letters by the
> two OS's seems the likely point of failure in my scenario.

Yes VistaBootPro can be installed and run from either OS. It works either
way.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]