Dual Booting Vista Home Premium with XP

Fishb8

Dual Booting Vista Home Premium with XP
I've read the instructions for dual-booting Vista/XP. I have 2 hard drives
(SATA); the one with Vista is a 400 Gb with 80 Gb for Vista and another
partition for the rest. The second is an 80 GB drive.
I'd like to install my XP on the second hard drive. Do I just point to that
drive when installing XP and follow the installation instructions, followed
by the VistaBootPRO actions.
Can I specify which installation to choose as my default OS? Also, can I
change the timing for the default choice. I'd like to make Vista as my
primary boot.
Vista's good but I have hardware that won't work on it, hence the need for a
dual as I don't want to replace my scanner, etc.

Don

Re: Dual Booting Vista Home Premium with XP
Fishb8 wrote:
> I've read the instructions for dual-booting Vista/XP. I have 2 hard drives
> (SATA); the one with Vista is a 400 Gb with 80 Gb for Vista and another
> partition for the rest. The second is an 80 GB drive.
> I'd like to install my XP on the second hard drive. Do I just point to that
> drive when installing XP and follow the installation instructions, followed
> by the VistaBootPRO actions.
> Can I specify which installation to choose as my default OS? Also, can I
> change the timing for the default choice. I'd like to make Vista as my
> primary boot...

Because you need to install XP from scratch, there is another very
practical alternative you should seriously consider: you can run
XP as a 'virtual' OS from inside your Vista using this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

If you decide to go the separate-install route instead, you will need to
use VistaBootPro to re-install the Vista boot manager after installing
XP, which is very easy to do.

Rock

Re: Dual Booting Vista Home Premium with XP
"Fishb8" wrote
> I've read the instructions for dual-booting Vista/XP. I have 2 hard drives
> (SATA); the one with Vista is a 400 Gb with 80 Gb for Vista and another
> partition for the rest. The second is an 80 GB drive.
> I'd like to install my XP on the second hard drive. Do I just point to
> that drive when installing XP and follow the installation instructions,
> followed by the VistaBootPRO actions.
> Can I specify which installation to choose as my default OS? Also, can I
> change the timing for the default choice. I'd like to make Vista as my
> primary boot.
> Vista's good but I have hardware that won't work on it, hence the need for
> a dual as I don't want to replace my scanner, etc.

Here are a couple of links to peruse on dual booting XP and Vista. There
are issues with Vista's restore points being deleted when XP is booted.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

Install Windows XP in a Dual Boot with Pre-installed Windows Vista
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about88231.html

Install Windows XP On A Machine Already Running Windows Vista
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]