Installing Vista again after uninstalling Vista to XP

Phoenix_124

Installing Vista again after uninstalling Vista to XP
Hi,
I have recently upgraded to Vista using an HP express upgrade disc and find
it not as satisifing (yet) as I expected. So I want to revert back to XP
using my XP recovery disc I created before I've upgraded and later during the
months or years I would reinstall Vista when maybe SP2 comes out or
something. So I was just wondering if when you install Vista again after
unistalling Vista before to XP, will that product key (Vista) work? Please
give me tips and detailed steps on how to sucessfully install Vista again
after uninstalling Vista before to XP.
Randy

RE: Installing Vista again after uninstalling Vista to XP
yes, i've format my hard disk many times, i can use the same product key. but
sometimes, system will give you a message, which said the product key is
already in used, at that time, you could call ms activation center to help
you to activate vista.

"Phoenix_124" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have recently upgraded to Vista using an HP express upgrade disc and find
> it not as satisifing (yet) as I expected. So I want to revert back to XP
> using my XP recovery disc I created before I've upgraded and later during the
> months or years I would reinstall Vista when maybe SP2 comes out or
> something. So I was just wondering if when you install Vista again after
> unistalling Vista before to XP, will that product key (Vista) work? Please
> give me tips and detailed steps on how to sucessfully install Vista again
> after uninstalling Vista before to XP.

Rock

Re: Installing Vista again after uninstalling Vista to XP
"Phoenix_124" wrote
> Hi,
> I have recently upgraded to Vista using an HP express upgrade disc and
> find
> it not as satisifing (yet) as I expected. So I want to revert back to XP
> using my XP recovery disc I created before I've upgraded and later during
> the
> months or years I would reinstall Vista when maybe SP2 comes out or
> something. So I was just wondering if when you install Vista again after
> unistalling Vista before to XP, will that product key (Vista) work? Please
> give me tips and detailed steps on how to sucessfully install Vista again
> after uninstalling Vista before to XP.

Install it just as you did the first time. The same copy of Vista can be
installed and activated as many times as you want on the same computer. A
retail version can be moved to a different computer if first uninstalled
from the computer it's on. An OEM version, by the license, is tied to the
first computer on which it's installed and can't be moved to a different
computer.

When reinstalling activation will either go through on the internet or
you'll need to make a phone call to activate.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Bruce Chambers

Phoenix_124 wrote:
> Hi,
> I have recently upgraded to Vista using an HP express upgrade disc and find
> it not as satisifing (yet) as I expected. So I want to revert back to XP
> using my XP recovery disc I created before I've upgraded.....

It really shouldn't be necessary to use the HP Recovery disk, thereby
necessitating the re-installation of all of your applications, as well.
If you actually performed an upgrade, rather than a clean installation
of Vista, you should be able to revert to WinXP:

How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you
install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168/en-us

>.... and later during the
> months or years I would reinstall Vista when maybe SP2 comes out or
> something. So I was just wondering if when you install Vista again after
> unistalling Vista before to XP, will that product key (Vista) work? Please
> give me tips and detailed steps on how to sucessfully install Vista again
> after uninstalling Vista before to XP.

Yes, you should be able to re-use that Vista Upgrade Product Key at a
later date. At worst, it might fail to activate via the Internet, and
you'll have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Phoenix_124

Re: Installing Vista again after uninstalling Vista to XP
He He...
Well I guess I ran out of luck for that. When I installed my Vista my
brother helped me in setting up (though I have like 98% of more knowledge of
Vista than him) and did a disk clean up. We found the Windows old files and
deleted it because we believe it as no use... until now

From the other replies I am told that I can install Vista again as much
times as I want even though I unistalled it and reverted back to XP. However
phone calls to Microsoft activation center may be required to activate my
licence again. If this is true, can you give me the fee for the phone call
and the phone number (if there is one). If possible can you give me a tip on
what to do or what they will ask when I actually do call them. Thanks

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Phoenix_124 wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have recently upgraded to Vista using an HP express upgrade disc and find
> > it not as satisifing (yet) as I expected. So I want to revert back to XP
> > using my XP recovery disc I created before I've upgraded.....

> It really shouldn't be necessary to use the HP Recovery disk, thereby
> necessitating the re-installation of all of your applications, as well.
> If you actually performed an upgrade, rather than a clean installation
> of Vista, you should be able to revert to WinXP:
>
> How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you
> install Windows Vista
>

> >.... and later during the
> > months or years I would reinstall Vista when maybe SP2 comes out or
> > something. So I was just wondering if when you install Vista again after
> > unistalling Vista before to XP, will that product key (Vista) work? Please
> > give me tips and detailed steps on how to sucessfully install Vista again
> > after uninstalling Vista before to XP.

> Yes, you should be able to re-use that Vista Upgrade Product Key at a
> later date. At worst, it might fail to activate via the Internet, and
> you'll have to make a 5 minute phone call.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

Bruce Chambers

Phoenix_124 wrote:
> He He...
> Well I guess I ran out of luck for that. When I installed my Vista my
> brother helped me in setting up (though I have like 98% of more knowledge of
> Vista than him) and did a disk clean up. We found the Windows old files and
> deleted it because we believe it as no use... until now

Nothing like 20-20 hindsight, is there? Sorry about that.

> From the other replies I am told that I can install Vista again as much
> times as I want even though I unistalled it and reverted back to XP. However
> phone calls to Microsoft activation center may be required to activate my
> licence again. If this is true, can you give me the fee for the phone call
> and the phone number (if there is one). If possible can you give me a tip on
> what to do or what they will ask when I actually do call them. Thanks

The pertinent (to your locale) telephone number should be displayed for
you automatically when you select Telephone Activation. However, just
in case:

Microsoft Activation Centers Worldwide Telephone Numbers
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r...l/numbers.mspx

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Rock

Re: Installing Vista again after uninstalling Vista to XP
"Phoenix_124" wrote
> He He...
> Well I guess I ran out of luck for that. When I installed my Vista my
> brother helped me in setting up (though I have like 98% of more knowledge
> of
> Vista than him) and did a disk clean up. We found the Windows old files
> and
> deleted it because we believe it as no use... until now
>
> From the other replies I am told that I can install Vista again as much
> times as I want even though I unistalled it and reverted back to XP.
> However
> phone calls to Microsoft activation center may be required to activate my
> licence again. If this is true, can you give me the fee for the phone call
> and the phone number (if there is one). If possible can you give me a tip
> on
> what to do or what they will ask when I actually do call them. Thanks

<snip>

It's a straight forward process. Just input the numbers that are shown in
the activation dialog box, and if you get transferred to a real person,
answer just the questions asked. As Bruce said the phone number to call
should be shown when you choose phone activation.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]