Cannot delete HKEY_...Error while deleting key in Vista Home Premium on an OEM (Dell) computer

Bill Haught

Cannot delete HKEY_...Error while deleting key in Vista Home Premium on an OEM (Dell) computer
I had a problem uninstalling McAfee so I could try reinstalling (which I was
also having trouble with). Since I had a problem deleting a registry key
they suggested I contact my OS vendor. My OS vendor (Dell, I believe) only
supports hardware issues.

OS: Windows Home premium
Error: Cannot delete
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{A3CCEDF3-2DE2-11D0-86F4-00A0C913F750}; Error
while deleting key.

Command-line regedit seems unavailable in Vista (at least the Home Premium
or Dell provided Home Premium). The same seems true of recovery console. I
wonder if there would have been permission errors there too. Any
suggestions beside "backup data and reinstall Windows"?

Bill Haught

PS: Cannot delete HKEY_...Error while deleting key in Vista Home Premium on an OEM (Dell) computer
PS:

The Windows CD/DVD boots to a graphical interface and a window for
installing Windows.

Even the boot menu accessed with F8 doesn't let you boot to a command
prompt.

I tried System Restore. I get McAfee back, but when I try to update I get a
blank window.

On second thought, you probably can forget about solving my problem unless I
am missing something here, although I would like to know if the command
prompt and tools such as regedit import/export, and Recovery Console have in
fact disappeared. From what I've read in this forum so far, it sounds like
repair tools in non-OEM versions and ultimate/business/enterprise editions
aren't available to us OEM Home Premium and down end-lusers.

"Bill Haught" <wlhaught@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>I had a problem uninstalling McAfee so I could try reinstalling (which I
>was also having trouble with). Since I had a problem deleting a registry
>key they suggested I contact my OS vendor. My OS vendor (Dell, I believe)
>only supports hardware issues.
>
> OS: Windows Home premium
> Error: Cannot delete
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{A3CCEDF3-2DE2-11D0-86F4-00A0C913F750}; Error
> while deleting key.
>
> Command-line regedit seems unavailable in Vista (at least the Home Premium
> or Dell provided Home Premium). The same seems true of recovery console.
> I wonder if there would have been permission errors there too. Any
> suggestions beside "backup data and reinstall Windows"?

Chad Harris

Re: Cannot delete HKEY_...Error while deleting key in Vista Home Premium on an OEM (Dell) computer
Hi Bill--

You aren't clear * what problem you had uninstalling McAfee.

Did you try from Add/Remove and Fail? Did you try downloading and using the
Windows InstallerCleanup Utility from MSFT first?

Is the reg key mentioned because it was part of a manual uninstall so
frequently needed with McAffee and Symantec products?

Why would you need command line regedit if it exists?

Why not use regular regedit and why is it even needed here? Is it one of the
steps in a manual uninstall?

Maybe you need to take posession of the key because of some UAC block by
rt.clicking it and going to the security tab.

CH
"Bill Haught" <wlhaught@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>I had a problem uninstalling McAfee so I could try reinstalling (which I
>was also having trouble with). Since I had a problem deleting a registry
>key they suggested I contact my OS vendor. My OS vendor (Dell, I believe)
>only supports hardware issues.
>
> OS: Windows Home premium
> Error: Cannot delete
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{A3CCEDF3-2DE2-11D0-86F4-00A0C913F750}; Error
> while deleting key.
>
> Command-line regedit seems unavailable in Vista (at least the Home Premium
> or Dell provided Home Premium). The same seems true of recovery console.
> I wonder if there would have been permission errors there too. Any
> suggestions beside "backup data and reinstall Windows"?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Cannot delete HKEY_...Error while deleting key in Vista Home Premium on an OEM (Dell) computer
The OEM disk that Dell supplied you with is probably a simple recovery disk
which means that it will not have the repair tools available that a retail
disk has. FWIW, Dell IS responsible for supporting this OEM version of
Vista. This is why they get a deep discount on these versions.

The recovery console has been removed in the Vista retail disk, but it does
have a command prompt where most of the recovery console commands are still
available. Regedit and all of the other options can be accessed form the
command prompt.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> PS:
>
> The Windows CD/DVD boots to a graphical interface and a window for
> installing Windows.
>
> Even the boot menu accessed with F8 doesn't let you boot to a command
> prompt.
>
> I tried System Restore. I get McAfee back, but when I try to update I get
> a blank window.
>
> On second thought, you probably can forget about solving my problem unless
> I am missing something here, although I would like to know if the command
> prompt and tools such as regedit import/export, and Recovery Console have
> in fact disappeared. From what I've read in this forum so far, it sounds
> like repair tools in non-OEM versions and ultimate/business/enterprise
> editions aren't available to us OEM Home Premium and down end-lusers.
>

> "Bill Haught" <wlhaught@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>>I had a problem uninstalling McAfee so I could try reinstalling (which I
>>was also having trouble with). Since I had a problem deleting a registry
>>key they suggested I contact my OS vendor. My OS vendor (Dell, I believe)
>>only supports hardware issues.
>>
>> OS: Windows Home premium
>> Error: Cannot delete
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{A3CCEDF3-2DE2-11D0-86F4-00A0C913F750}; Error
>> while deleting key.
>>
>> Command-line regedit seems unavailable in Vista (at least the Home
>> Premium or Dell provided Home Premium). The same seems true of recovery
>> console. I wonder if there would have been permission errors there too.
>> Any suggestions beside "backup data and reinstall Windows"?

Kerry Brown

Re: Cannot delete HKEY_...Error while deleting key in Vista Home Premium on an OEM (Dell) computer
"Bill Haught" <wlhaught@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>I had a problem uninstalling McAfee so I could try reinstalling (which I
>was also having trouble with). Since I had a problem deleting a registry
>key they suggested I contact my OS vendor. My OS vendor (Dell, I believe)
>only supports hardware issues.
>
> OS: Windows Home premium
> Error: Cannot delete
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{A3CCEDF3-2DE2-11D0-86F4-00A0C913F750}; Error
> while deleting key.
>
> Command-line regedit seems unavailable in Vista (at least the Home Premium
> or Dell provided Home Premium). The same seems true of recovery console.
> I wonder if there would have been permission errors there too. Any
> suggestions beside "backup data and reinstall Windows"?

As Chad said you need to change the security for registry key. Click on the
Security tab, then Advanced and take ownership of it. Once you have
ownership change the permissions so you have full control and delete it.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Randy

Re: Cannot delete HKEY_...Error while deleting key in Vista Home P
You can try mcafee removal tool, I've searched for you.
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc....oryId=10 7187

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Bill Haught" <wlhaught@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> >I had a problem uninstalling McAfee so I could try reinstalling (which I
> >was also having trouble with). Since I had a problem deleting a registry
> >key they suggested I contact my OS vendor. My OS vendor (Dell, I believe)
> >only supports hardware issues.
> >
> > OS: Windows Home premium
> > Error: Cannot delete
> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{A3CCEDF3-2DE2-11D0-86F4-00A0C913F750}; Error
> > while deleting key.
> >
> > Command-line regedit seems unavailable in Vista (at least the Home Premium
> > or Dell provided Home Premium). The same seems true of recovery console.
> > I wonder if there would have been permission errors there too. Any
> > suggestions beside "backup data and reinstall Windows"?
> >

> As Chad said you need to change the security for registry key. Click on the
> Security tab, then Advanced and take ownership of it. Once you have
> ownership change the permissions so you have full control and delete it.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Jay Somerset

Re: PS: Cannot delete HKEY_...Error while deleting key in Vista Home Premium on an OEM (Dell) computer
Regedit is still available in Vista. Try Start|Run|Regedit. Works
fine on every Vista Home Premium system that i have seen.

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 18:03:30 -0400, "Bill Haught"
<wlhaught@ameritech.net> wrote:

>PS:
>
> The Windows CD/DVD boots to a graphical interface and a window for
>installing Windows.
>
>Even the boot menu accessed with F8 doesn't let you boot to a command
>prompt.
>
>I tried System Restore. I get McAfee back, but when I try to update I get a
>blank window.
>
>On second thought, you probably can forget about solving my problem unless I
>am missing something here, although I would like to know if the command
>prompt and tools such as regedit import/export, and Recovery Console have in
>fact disappeared. From what I've read in this forum so far, it sounds like
>repair tools in non-OEM versions and ultimate/business/enterprise editions
>aren't available to us OEM Home Premium and down end-lusers.
>

>"Bill Haught" <wlhaught@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>>I had a problem uninstalling McAfee so I could try reinstalling (which I
>>was also having trouble with). Since I had a problem deleting a registry
>>key they suggested I contact my OS vendor. My OS vendor (Dell, I believe)
>>only supports hardware issues.
>>
>> OS: Windows Home premium
>> Error: Cannot delete
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{A3CCEDF3-2DE2-11D0-86F4-00A0C913F750}; Error
>> while deleting key.
>>
>> Command-line regedit seems unavailable in Vista (at least the Home Premium
>> or Dell provided Home Premium). The same seems true of recovery console.
>> I wonder if there would have been permission errors there too. Any
>> suggestions beside "backup data and reinstall Windows"?

--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
Chad Harris

Re: Cannot delete HKEY_...Error while deleting key in Vista Home Premium on an OEM (Dell) computer
Hi Ronnie--

You make your point well.

I don't know what he got; and I don't know what Dell buyers are all getting.
I did see this promise which made me happy. I'm going to try to find out
directly from Roundrock how they are handling this explicit promise this
week, but the OP should be able to clarify this fast by reading off the DVD.
From the Dell Blog Direct2Dell which has a lot of good hdw information that
can be extrapolated to any pc maker:

Bloatware, Operating System Discs and Dell Software Support
http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...0/17/3132.aspx

This was written at the link above in Feb. 2007:

"Update: Thanks to Direct2Dell reader Steven and a couple of Dell employees
for pointing out a mistake I made in my original post. When I wrote this,
the OS media was listed as an option in the configurator for $0. I mis-read
the number, and for that mistake, I apologize. Also, though this been in
the works for some time before now, it's now official. For U.S. consumer
and small business customers, all systems will now ship with an operating
system disc. This change will take effect in Europe by later next month. In
Asia, things are unchanged—we've always shipped OS discs with systems
there."

CH

news24AD538-60EA-4DEB-BAD8-A641CD0F7F6B@microsoft.com...
> The OEM disk that Dell supplied you with is probably a simple recovery
> disk which means that it will not have the repair tools available that a
> retail disk has. FWIW, Dell IS responsible for supporting this OEM version
> of Vista. This is why they get a deep discount on these versions.
>
> The recovery console has been removed in the Vista retail disk, but it
> does have a command prompt where most of the recovery console commands are
> still available. Regedit and all of the other options can be accessed form
> the command prompt.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Bill Haught" <wlhaught@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> PS:
>>
>> The Windows CD/DVD boots to a graphical interface and a window for
>> installing Windows.
>>
>> Even the boot menu accessed with F8 doesn't let you boot to a command
>> prompt.
>>
>> I tried System Restore. I get McAfee back, but when I try to update I
>> get a blank window.
>>
>> On second thought, you probably can forget about solving my problem
>> unless I am missing something here, although I would like to know if the
>> command prompt and tools such as regedit import/export, and Recovery
>> Console have in fact disappeared. From what I've read in this forum so
>> far, it sounds like repair tools in non-OEM versions and
>> ultimate/business/enterprise editions aren't available to us OEM Home
>> Premium and down end-lusers.
>>

>> "Bill Haught" <wlhaught@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>>>I had a problem uninstalling McAfee so I could try reinstalling (which I
>>>was also having trouble with). Since I had a problem deleting a registry
>>>key they suggested I contact my OS vendor. My OS vendor (Dell, I
>>>believe) only supports hardware issues.
>>>
>>> OS: Windows Home premium
>>> Error: Cannot delete
>>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{A3CCEDF3-2DE2-11D0-86F4-00A0C913F750};
>>> Error while deleting key.
>>>
>>> Command-line regedit seems unavailable in Vista (at least the Home
>>> Premium or Dell provided Home Premium). The same seems true of recovery
>>> console. I wonder if there would have been permission errors there too.
>>> Any suggestions beside "backup data and reinstall Windows"?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Cannot delete HKEY_...Error while deleting key in Vista Home Premium on an OEM (Dell) computer
Chad

Thanks for that link.

I would be very interested in what you find out this week.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can try mcafee removal tool, I've searched for you.
> http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc....oryId=10 7187

There is a lot I didn't get into for the sake of breivity and relevance. I
tried the removal tool and by now I forget what else off-hand/don't care. I
just reinstalled Windows, Acrobat Reader, Investor's Business Daily's
DGOControls, a few other programs, and then McAfee. I made sure the graphs
worked in the IBD web site. The very next day it was screwed up again.
First getting the paper in Internet Explorer on that particular computer
gave an error, the web site didn't recognize that my father was registered
for the service in question. However, I could log in from my computer using
IE or use Firefox on his and get the service in question. No sooner was
that working graphs (DGOControls) were screwed up, even in the
administrative account before long. I have no idea what could be causing
such bizarre problems. Drive failure? I decided to repartition the drive
so there would be the option of installing other OSes in the future only to
find that cfdisk (Linux partioning tool) complained about a partion not
ending on a cylinder boundry (or something like that). I ended up
installing Fedora right were Vista went next. It looks like yet another
reinstall of Windows.