Motherboard Replacement and Vista

David Dickinson

Motherboard Replacement and Vista
Howdy, Folks,

When putting a new motherboard in a system, in previous versions of Windows
it was possible to do a repair installation by booting from the CD. This
prevented losing system settings and having to reinstall applications. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125/en-us

However, there is no similar article for Vista and, before I replace a
motherboard, I wanted to know if anyone has followed a similar procedure
with Vista.

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

Bruce Chambers

Re: Motherboard Replacement and Vista
David ****inson wrote:
> Howdy, Folks,
>
> When putting a new motherboard in a system, in previous versions of
> Windows it was possible to do a repair installation by booting from the
> CD. This prevented losing system settings and having to reinstall
> applications. See:

> However, there is no similar article for Vista and, before I replace a
> motherboard, I wanted to know if anyone has followed a similar procedure
> with Vista.
>
> --
> David ****inson
> eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org
> Please reply only to the newsgroup, not by email.

Yes, you can repair Vista, although the process has changed somewhat:

Windows Vista Help: Startup Repair: frequently asked questions
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f3f351033.mspx

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: