Upgrade of ultimate from xp pro probs!

srt

Upgrade of ultimate from xp pro probs!
Hi,
I recently registered my ultimate upgrade after the first attempt failed
resulting in my "clean installing" as I lost my xp pro due to having
formatted the hd. It would not could not find bootmngr!!!!
My registration went ok but today I got a message to "register again"! Tried
that but when I entered my product key this time it says its for upgrade not
clean install!! When I've done this kind of thing before I generally get
asked to insert the old system disc I am upgrading from so what do I do? any
help ? tia.
Stuart.

Hank Arnold

Re: Upgrade of ultimate from xp pro probs!
Vista Upgrade key can't be used to register a "clean install". Google
will show you several sites with specific instructions. Basically, you
have to start over. Do a clean install without registering and
re-install as an upgrade and *then* register...

Regards,
Hank Arnold

srt wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently registered my ultimate upgrade after the first attempt failed
> resulting in my "clean installing" as I lost my xp pro due to having
> formatted the hd. It would not could not find bootmngr!!!!
> My registration went ok but today I got a message to "register again"!
> Tried that but when I entered my product key this time it says its for
> upgrade not clean install!! When I've done this kind of thing before I
> generally get asked to insert the old system disc I am upgrading from so
> what do I do? any help ? tia.
> Stuart.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Upgrade of ultimate from xp pro probs!
Do an in place upgrade. See the instructions on my website.
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm
Vista actually overwrites the XP boot loader, hence you not being able to
access XP. However, there was no need to re-install. All you needed to have
done was to download a freeware application called VistaBootPro, click on
the Manage OS entries and then use the Add option to add the windows xp
option.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"srt" <srt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I recently registered my ultimate upgrade after the first attempt failed
> resulting in my "clean installing" as I lost my xp pro due to having
> formatted the hd. It would not could not find bootmngr!!!!
> My registration went ok but today I got a message to "register again"!
> Tried that but when I entered my product key this time it says its for
> upgrade not clean install!! When I've done this kind of thing before I
> generally get asked to insert the old system disc I am upgrading from so
> what do I do? any help ? tia.
> Stuart.

patruns

RE: Upgrade of ultimate from xp pro probs!
Do a clean install and do not enter the key. Then, reboot and do a clean
install again and enter the number.

"srt" wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently registered my ultimate upgrade after the first attempt failed
> resulting in my "clean installing" as I lost my xp pro due to having
> formatted the hd. It would not could not find bootmngr!!!!
> My registration went ok but today I got a message to "register again"! Tried
> that but when I entered my product key this time it says its for upgrade not
> clean install!! When I've done this kind of thing before I generally get
> asked to insert the old system disc I am upgrading from so what do I do? any
> help ? tia.
> Stuart.

Rock

Re: Upgrade of ultimate from xp pro probs!
"patruns" wrote
> Do a clean install and do not enter the key. Then, reboot and do a clean
> install again and enter the number.

That should be, reboot and do an upgrade install (this second time) and now
enter the product key.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Upgrade of ultimate from xp pro probs!
"srt" <srt@yahoo.com> wrote
> Hi,
> I recently registered my ultimate upgrade after the first attempt failed
> resulting in my "clean installing" as I lost my xp pro due to having
> formatted the hd. It would not could not find bootmngr!!!!
> My registration went ok but today I got a message to "register again"!
> Tried that but when I entered my product key this time it says its for
> upgrade not clean install!! When I've done this kind of thing before I
> generally get asked to insert the old system disc I am upgrading from so
> what do I do? any help ? tia.

The upgrade process in Vista is not like in XP. Vista does not do a shiny
media check. The upgrade is designed to be run from the desktop of the
installed, qualifying OS ( in this case XP). There is a way to do a clean
install using an upgrade version of Vista which involves doing two installs.
See this link:

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

srt

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "srt" <srt@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Hi,
>> I recently registered my ultimate upgrade after the first attempt failed
>> resulting in my "clean installing" as I lost my xp pro due to having
>> formatted the hd. It would not could not find bootmngr!!!!
>> My registration went ok but today I got a message to "register again"!
>> Tried that but when I entered my product key this time it says its for
>> upgrade not clean install!! When I've done this kind of thing before I
>> generally get asked to insert the old system disc I am upgrading from so
>> what do I do? any help ? tia.

> The upgrade process in Vista is not like in XP. Vista does not do a shiny
> media check. The upgrade is designed to be run from the desktop of the
> installed, qualifying OS ( in this case XP). There is a way to do a clean
> install using an upgrade version of Vista which involves doing two
> installs. See this link:
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Many thanks for your replies. You may see a post elsewhere in "performance
maintenance."
Basically I managed to load up an earlier xp pro via acronis (thank god) and
I got the upgrade to work but I have the problem referred to in
"performance maintenance."
God this is fun!!! tia.
Stuart.

Rock

Re: Upgrade of ultimate from xp pro probs!
"srt" <basalt@yahoo.com> wrote

<snip>

> Many thanks for your replies. You may see a post elsewhere in "performance
> maintenance."
> Basically I managed to load up an earlier xp pro via acronis (thank god)
> and I got the upgrade to work but I have the problem referred to in
> "performance maintenance."
> God this is fun!!! tia.

You're welcome. That's a good way to do it. Do a clean install of XP,
image with Acronis TI, and save that for a rainy day, for when a reinstall
of Vista is needed. Nice thinking. ATI version 10 in the latest build
works fine in Vista too.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

John Barnett MVP

Re: Upgrade of ultimate from xp pro probs!
Creating images of drives/partitions shouldn't even need thinking about, it
should be part and parcel of your normal maintenance. When I first dual
booted with XP and Vista the first thing I did, after I had installed all
the software I needed and activated everything, was image the drive using
Acronis True Image. This was imaged to a second hard drive. As soon as that
image was completed I imaged another copy to a set of DVD's.
Now I don't dual boot, replying upon VMware Workstation virtual machine
software to provide access to XP, but still I have made a new image of the
setup and also imaged it to DVD. You never know when you are going to need
these images so keep them safe and up to date.