Vista vs Tyan S2466 Tiger MPX

Brett I. Holcomb

Vista vs Tyan S2466 Tiger MPX
I'm running XP on a Tyan S2466 MPX dual AMD (2x2 gig) motherboard with 2
gig memory. Vista upgrade advisor says it's okay for what that's worth.
I am attempting to install on a spare partition that I have. However,
when I do the install the Vista DVD boots, I can start the install but
then it tells me it needs drivers for the CD/DVD that it just booted
from and can read. I can browse the CD and the partitions without a
problem. I've tried using CDs to install but same thing. I've pointed
Vista at the N/S bring and Busmaster drivers for this motherboard but it
doesn't like them.

Before I give up and assume that Vista just can't figure out that the CD
it booted from is okay without drivers is there anything I've missed?

Thanks.
Jane C

Re: Vista vs Tyan S2466 Tiger MPX
Hello Brett,

Do you have the latest firmware for your DVD drive? It may be that Vista is
looking for the controller drivers, not CD/DVD drivers per se. Are there
Vista drivers available for that motherboard from Tyan? Do you know which
chipset it uses?

The Upgrade Advisor can only advise on hardware and software that the
respective manufacturers have given the information to Microsoft for, so it
will not catch everything.

Visit manufacturers websites to determine if the devices have Vista support.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I'm running XP on a Tyan S2466 MPX dual AMD (2x2 gig) motherboard with 2
> gig memory. Vista upgrade advisor says it's okay for what that's worth. I
> am attempting to install on a spare partition that I have. However, when I
> do the install the Vista DVD boots, I can start the install but then it
> tells me it needs drivers for the CD/DVD that it just booted from and can
> read. I can browse the CD and the partitions without a problem. I've
> tried using CDs to install but same thing. I've pointed Vista at the N/S
> bring and Busmaster drivers for this motherboard but it doesn't like them.
>
> Before I give up and assume that Vista just can't figure out that the CD
> it booted from is okay without drivers is there anything I've missed?
>
> Thanks.

Brett I. Holcomb

Re: Vista vs Tyan S2466 Tiger MPX
Thanks for the response.

Well, I made the mistake of assuming the upgrade advisor actually
tested/checked the hardware. Might as well just give a compatibility
list! Even with what it does it said no problem with the CD/DVD.

Yup - updated the firmware on the DVD/CD. Got the latest bus master,
ide drivers from Tyan - although latest for a older board isn't that new
and it's pre Vista. Vista didn't like any of them. I've used a lot of
OS's in my time but for some reason CDs have been MS's nemises. They
can boot of the device but then get all bent out of shape - evidently
they forgot how to read their boot device <G>. Evidently MS doesn't
implement basic drivers to get thorough the install so it chokes.

I started a test install on another board of about the same age but
different vendor and it worked - or at least got further. I'm going to
put an older DVD/CD reader only in the Tyan system and see what happens.

Jane C wrote:
> Hello Brett,
>
> Do you have the latest firmware for your DVD drive? It may be that
> Vista is looking for the controller drivers, not CD/DVD drivers per se.
> Are there Vista drivers available for that motherboard from Tyan? Do
> you know which chipset it uses?
>
> The Upgrade Advisor can only advise on hardware and software that the
> respective manufacturers have given the information to Microsoft for, so
> it will not catch everything.
>
> Visit manufacturers websites to determine if the devices have Vista
> support.

Brett I. Holcomb

Re: Vista vs Tyan S2466 Tiger MPX
As a followup - I installed a Creative DVD reader and Vista was happy.
For some reason it didn't like the new equipment. Doesn't like the
3C920 card either!