Ultimate 64 won't install

neillm2001@comcast.net

Ultimate 64 won't install
I have been trying to install the 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate
on my system. It is an ECS NForce4M-A motherboard with an Athlon 64
X2 4200 processor, 1 GB RAM, A GEForce 7300 GS GPU with 512 MB RAM
Video card and a couple of WD SATA HDs. I ran the MS Advisor
program on the system and it found no problems. Therefore I was
ready to go? I did a clean install since my old OS was 32 bit XP.
The install seemed to go well until the Starting Vista for the first
time. The process went through its thing for a while, then the
screen went black and after a short period the monitor flashed a
notice indicating a screen resolution greater than 1280X1024 was
commanded and then shut down the process. Since the installtion
never finished I could only go through the Starting Vista for the
first time phase. After trying A Safe Mode boot and not being able
to do that either I called Microsoft Tech support. After talking to
someone in India for a while I was able to convince him that I had a
Valid copy of Vista Ultimate and he forwarded me to tech support.
Level one was not able to do anything and I was sent to a Level 2
person with the same results. At this poin they suggested that I
try the 32 bit version. I did try it and it installed and
activated. I then ran the 32 bit software and found it to be
noticably slower than XP. My options were now limited to
uninstalling "MS' answer to the computing world's needs" and
reinstalling XP. The following day I received a call from the Tech
support asking how the 32 bit install went. I told them it was
successful but inadequate and that it was being removed. They had
no comments except, when I mentioned I may try Linux, they indicated
that they had it on their home system. I then received an email
stating that my case was still open and that I could comment on the
support to the manager. I then periodically tried to replace the
video card with another and reinstall VIsta. The same thing kept
happening. After waiting about 10 weeks with no further
communication from tech support I emailed them asking if there was a
possibility of my having a bad disc and, if it was possible, how I
would go about replacing mine. That was a week ago and I have heard
nothing since.

I received the program as a gift from a MS employee. It was
extremely thoughtful of him to do so and I am grateful. However, I
don't believe that even the MS employees are aware of the secretive,
closed system that their company has built. Tech support appears to
be totally incapable of performing their job. I asked if there were
and keystrokes I could enter when invoking the setup to stop the
program from trying to automatically set the resolution. They
didn't seem to know any.

I sure wish that MS would get it's support act together. The last
Windows that had any support was 3.1. From that time on it has
eroded to the point where they are unable to give any.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 4
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Where_Was_George

Re: Ultimate 64 won't install
On Jun 15, 8:19 pm, Jim (neillm2...@comcast.net) wrote:
> I have been trying to install the 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate
> on my system. It is an ECS NForce4M-A motherboard with an Athlon 64
> X2 4200 processor, 1 GB RAM, A GEForce 7300 GS GPU with 512 MB RAM
> Video card

I would start with the video card. It's PCI Express. I haven't crossed
that particular bridge yet, but I know there are CMOS settings for
those slots and there may also be settings in your particular
motherboard.

I don't remember off the top of my head what m/b I have, but I'm
running 64 bit premium. The manual that came with the m/b seemed to be
light on details regarding the CMOS settings. It turns out the manual
is continued on the mfg.'s website for some reason.

Check your video card manual for any notes and look for a 'read me'
file if the drivers created a menu folder.

<snip>

I accidentally snipped the reference to screen resolution. This
suggests your monitor may not support the resolution that was
requested and Win shut down instead of damaging the monitor.

> I sure wish that MS would get it's support act together. The last
> Windows that had any support was 3.1. From that time on it has
> eroded to the point where they are unable to give any.

It would seem you'd have no choice but to continue calling them if you
can't nail down the problem. I'm on my 3rd installation. I looked for
error log info and couldn't find it, even by searching all of
Microsoft.

patruns

RE: Ultimate 64 won't install
I feel your pain. I too was lost in India up to level 4 for over a month. I
solved my own problem.

I do not know whether this will help you but it is worth a try. Boot from
the disk and format the drive. It goes so quick with no messages you will not
know it is done. Then do a clean install. Once finished (you may get error
messages but Vista is there), reboot and then run a clean install from within
Vista. Do not input the key the first time. Now is the time to do that.

Good luck!

Pat