Vista Problem

Mick 13 bass

Vista Problem
My wife bought me a copy of the Vista Home Premium Upgrade in March and all
went well until last week when I had a software issue with another programme
which caused me to have to re-install Vista. All went well but yesterday I
got a message that "if I did not validate my copy of Vista in the next 14
days that it would close. I tride to input the validation code but it states
that this code is for an upgrade and not for a a clean install (I didnt think
I had done a clean install nor could I with the copy I had which is an
upgrade?). I spoke to Microsoft Support and they say that I should of
installed my earlier copy of XP before re-stalling my Vista upgrade? This
seems a bit long winded surely there is an easier method? Thanks in advance
for your help.
Mac

Re: Vista Problem
I'm afraid you have two options -

1. Reinstall XP, upgrade to Vista.
2. Shout at your wife.

I'd go for option 1 ;-)

Good luck with whatever you choose...

"Mick 13 bass" <Mick 13 bass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My wife bought me a copy of the Vista Home Premium Upgrade in March and
> all
> went well until last week when I had a software issue with another
> programme
> which caused me to have to re-install Vista. All went well but yesterday
> got a message that "if I did not validate my copy of Vista in the next 14
> days that it would close. I tride to input the validation code but it
> states
> that this code is for an upgrade and not for a a clean install (I didnt
> think
> I had done a clean install nor could I with the copy I had which is an
> upgrade?). I spoke to Microsoft Support and they say that I should of
> installed my earlier copy of XP before re-stalling my Vista upgrade? This
> seems a bit long winded surely there is an easier method? Thanks in
> advance
> for your help.

tfw48079

Re: Vista Problem
I have read that it is possible to do a clean install (do not enter license
key and do not activate), then do an upgrade install (enter license key),
then activate.

"Mac" wrote:

> I'm afraid you have two options -
>
> 1. Reinstall XP, upgrade to Vista.
> 2. Shout at your wife.
>
> I'd go for option 1 ;-)
>
> Good luck with whatever you choose...
>
> "Mick 13 bass" <Mick 13 bass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My wife bought me a copy of the Vista Home Premium Upgrade in March and
> > all
> > went well until last week when I had a software issue with another
> > programme
> > which caused me to have to re-install Vista. All went well but yesterday
> > got a message that "if I did not validate my copy of Vista in the next 14
> > days that it would close. I tride to input the validation code but it
> > states
> > that this code is for an upgrade and not for a a clean install (I didnt
> > think
> > I had done a clean install nor could I with the copy I had which is an
> > upgrade?). I spoke to Microsoft Support and they say that I should of
> > installed my earlier copy of XP before re-stalling my Vista upgrade? This
> > seems a bit long winded surely there is an easier method? Thanks in
> > advance
> > for your help.

Rock

Re: Vista Problem
"Mick 13 bass" wrote
> My wife bought me a copy of the Vista Home Premium Upgrade in March and
> all
> went well until last week when I had a software issue with another
> programme
> which caused me to have to re-install Vista. All went well but yesterday
> got a message that "if I did not validate my copy of Vista in the next 14
> days that it would close. I tride to input the validation code but it
> states
> that this code is for an upgrade and not for a a clean install (I didnt
> think
> I had done a clean install nor could I with the copy I had which is an
> upgrade?). I spoke to Microsoft Support and they say that I should of
> installed my earlier copy of XP before re-stalling my Vista upgrade? This
> seems a bit long winded surely there is an easier method? Thanks in
> advance
> for your help.

Yes the Vista upgrade is designed to be installed from the desktop of the
installed qualifying OS. So you'll need to reinstall XP then install the
Vista upgrade.

There is a work around to allow a clean install of the upgrade without the
qualifying OS. It involves a double install method, first installing
without the Vista product key, then doing an upgrade on that. Here is a
link for info on this.

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]