Problems Activating Windows

Stuart

Problems Activating Windows
I have recently upgraded my hard drive and installed vista ultimate 64 bit on
it but it says my windows key is in use elsewhere? i have my old hdd here
which vista was on and it has been formatted. I have the real oem version of
windows ultimate
Mike Brannigan

Re: Problems Activating Windows
"Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently upgraded my hard drive and installed vista ultimate 64 bit
>on
> it but it says my windows key is in use elsewhere? i have my old hdd here
> which vista was on and it has been formatted. I have the real oem version
> of
> windows ultimate

Just activate by phone.

--

Mike Brannigan

Stuart

Re: Problems Activating Windows
it's that easy? lol

I've give them a call, thanks

> it's that easy? lol
>
> I've give them a call, thanks

Yes - it really is :-)

You got the message because you have used that key before and now your
hardware has changed you need to reactivate but that key has already been
activated on a "different" machine - so you just call up and work your way
trough the system - you will have to try and activate again with the
automatic system on the phone -= this will then fail too and you get to
speak to a real person who will then do it for you - it will take about 6
minutes all in.

--

Mike Brannigan
"Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> it's that easy? lol
>
> I've give them a call, thanks
>
> "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
>
>> "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have recently upgraded my hard drive and installed vista ultimate 64
>> >bit
>> >on
>> > it but it says my windows key is in use elsewhere? i have my old hdd
>> > here
>> > which vista was on and it has been formatted. I have the real oem
>> > version
>> > of
>> > windows ultimate

>> Just activate by phone.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Brannigan

Stuart

Re: Problems Activating Windows
Yep that sorted it, thanks alot

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > it's that easy? lol
> >
> > I've give them a call, thanks
> >

> Yes - it really is :-)
>
> You got the message because you have used that key before and now your
> hardware has changed you need to reactivate but that key has already been
> activated on a "different" machine - so you just call up and work your way
> trough the system - you will have to try and activate again with the
> automatic system on the phone -= this will then fail too and you get to
> speak to a real person who will then do it for you - it will take about 6
> minutes all in.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan
> "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > it's that easy? lol
> >
> > I've give them a call, thanks
> >
> > "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
> >
> >> "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> Just activate by phone.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mike Brannigan

Bill Leary

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
> automatic system on the phone -= this will then fail too and you get to
> speak to a real person who will then do it for you - it will take about 6
> minutes all in.

I'm about to replace my motherboard, RAM and CPU. I assume Vista will be
disturbed by this and require a re-activation. I've got a couple of
questions on that line.

First, is the machine going to run correctly for some number of days after I
do this? That is, I'll have time to make the necessary call and get things
sorted out? Or is it going to fall over semi-dead right away until I make
the call?

Second, does the system give me the phone number to call? I notice that on
these re-activation questions everyone just says to make the call, but the
phone number is never mentioned.

- Bill

Rock

Re: Problems Activating Windows
"Bill Leary" wrote

> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote
>> automatic system on the phone -= this will then fail too and you get to
>> speak to a real person who will then do it for you - it will take about 6
>> minutes all in.

> I'm about to replace my motherboard, RAM and CPU. I assume Vista will be
> disturbed by this and require a re-activation. I've got a couple of
> questions on that line.
>
> First, is the machine going to run correctly for some number of days after
> I do this? That is, I'll have time to make the necessary call and get
> things sorted out? Or is it going to fall over semi-dead right away until
> I make the call?
>
> Second, does the system give me the phone number to call? I notice that
> on these re-activation questions everyone just says to make the call, but
> the phone number is never mentioned.

When changing hardware, do a startup repair accessible by booting the Vista
DVD. It might need to be run several successive times.

Yes you will have some time to make the phone call, though how much it will
give you I am not sure. And yes the phone number will be provided. It
varies depending on your locale.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]