Home premium Upgrade Re-partitioning

bgkorn

Home premium Upgrade Re-partitioning
Upgrading from Windows 2000. Launching from within 2000 asks me to boot from
the DVD to repartition. Launching from the DVD tells me that I need to start
the installation from the installed OS.

Seems I am locked out for repartitioning with Windows Home Vista Premium
Upgrade. Not clear if I need to "upgrade" my upgrade to stand-alone or if
that is even possible. Sure that returning an opened package will be a
nightmare...

Thanks for any help.

Rock

Re: Home premium Upgrade Re-partitioning
"bgkorn" wrote
> Upgrading from Windows 2000. Launching from within 2000 asks me to boot
> from
> the DVD to repartition. Launching from the DVD tells me that I need to
> start
> the installation from the installed OS.
>
> Seems I am locked out for repartitioning with Windows Home Vista Premium
> Upgrade. Not clear if I need to "upgrade" my upgrade to stand-alone or if
> that is even possible. Sure that returning an opened package will be a
> nightmare...

You can use an upgrade version of Vista with Win2k as the qualifying OS, but
it has to be a clean install. The install is started from the desktop of
the installed OS. I don't believe you can repartition in that case. It
will take the win2k installation and wrap it up into the windows.old folder,
installing Vista clean.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

John Barnes

Re: Home premium Upgrade Re-partitioning
If you need to do repartitioning, you should be able to do it from your
install disk command prompt. Use the diskpart command

"bgkorn" <bgkorn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Upgrading from Windows 2000. Launching from within 2000 asks me to boot
> from
> the DVD to repartition. Launching from the DVD tells me that I need to
> start
> the installation from the installed OS.
>
> Seems I am locked out for repartitioning with Windows Home Vista Premium
> Upgrade. Not clear if I need to "upgrade" my upgrade to stand-alone or if
> that is even possible. Sure that returning an opened package will be a
> nightmare...
>
> Thanks for any help.

Bruce Chambers

bgkorn wrote:
> Upgrading from Windows 2000. Launching from within 2000 asks me to boot from
> the DVD to repartition. Launching from the DVD tells me that I need to start
> the installation from the installed OS.
>
> Seems I am locked out for repartitioning with Windows Home Vista Premium
> Upgrade. Not clear if I need to "upgrade" my upgrade to stand-alone or if
> that is even possible. Sure that returning an opened package will be a
> nightmare...
>
> Thanks for any help.

Any upgrade to Vista from Win2K requires a clean installation. Part of
your problem stems from the fact that Wi2K Professional to a Vista Home
edition isn't a qualifying upgrade path. Win2K qualifies for the use of
Vista Business or Ultimate Upgrades, but you'd need to use a full
version of Vista Home Premium.

Upgrade Paths from Previous Versions
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

"If you are currently using Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP
Professional x64, you are eligible for an upgrade copy to a
*corresponding or better* edition of Windows Vista, but a clean install
is required." (Emphasis mine.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

John Barnes

Re: Home premium Upgrade Re-partitioning
Your interpretation is different than mine. I see nothing on the page that
would restrict using the upgrade version from win2k to any of the 4 listed
versions. A clean install is required in all cases.

> bgkorn wrote:
>> Upgrading from Windows 2000. Launching from within 2000 asks me to boot
>> from the DVD to repartition. Launching from the DVD tells me that I need
>> to start the installation from the installed OS.
>>
>> Seems I am locked out for repartitioning with Windows Home Vista Premium
>> Upgrade. Not clear if I need to "upgrade" my upgrade to stand-alone or if
>> that is even possible. Sure that returning an opened package will be a
>> nightmare...
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>

> Any upgrade to Vista from Win2K requires a clean installation. Part of
> your problem stems from the fact that Wi2K Professional to a Vista Home
> edition isn't a qualifying upgrade path. Win2K qualifies for the use of
> Vista Business or Ultimate Upgrades, but you'd need to use a full version
> of Vista Home Premium.
>
> Upgrade Paths from Previous Versions
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
> "If you are currently using Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP
> Professional x64, you are eligible for an upgrade copy to a *corresponding
> or better* edition of Windows Vista, but a clean install is required."
> (Emphasis mine.)
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand
> Russell

bgkorn

RE: Home premium Upgrade Re-partitioning
2000 upgrade is supported on the box. Problem is non-support of
repartitioning. Sucks. Installed a clean copy of XP and upgraded that.
Problem solved as long as MSFT does not kill my XP licence which I need
elsewhere.