Stop: d0000144 Unknown Hard Error- when expanding files during ins

Brian With Vista Troubles

Stop: d0000144 Unknown Hard Error- when expanding files during ins
I have tried upgrading my XP installation to Vista Home Premium about a dozen
times now and I have tried MANY different things. My specs are-

- AMD processor
- Via Motherboard (KT-880)
- 2 x 512 MB RAM (PC 3200)
- GeForce 5200 graphics card (I've also tried a 6800 card.)
- 250 GB Hard Drive

The error would seem to indicate a hardware problem. I tried running
Microsoft's memory check on my RAM, and it passed the test every time. I
tried swapping out graphics cards. I formatted my hard drive several times.
I'm totally stumped on this one. The compatibility test comes up with no
warnings or issues. My XP installation runs fine, and all my hardware is
pretty new. I have no uninstalled devices in my device manager.

I've installed XP dozens of times before without any issues. I've also
installed linux versions before with no issues. Are there any hardware tests
I can run to isolate the problem? Is there any way to decipher the error
code (144) ? Has anyone else seen this?

...winston

Re: d0000144 Unknown Hard Error- when expanding files during ins
Install the driver for this during the Vista installation ?
SB SATA 150 RAID
- SB supports 2 ports SATA 150 RAID 0/1 JBOD

:
[...]

I just tried disabling my SATA controllers altogether from the BIOS and it
still doesn't work. At this point, I think it must be my motherboard. I
checked the list of vista certified chipsets and mine wasn't on there . If
you have any other ideas please let me know. Thanks for your help!