Changing Boot Partition

Arthur Dent

Changing Boot Partition
Hey all...

I originally installed my Vista install on a secondary (logical) partition
as a dual boot with XP (in case i wanted or needed to go back).
I have now been satisfied enough with Vista to want to get rid of XP. Only
problem is that Vista's bootmanager is (i think) on the XP partition.

How can i move the bootmanager on to the same partition as Vista, so that i
can then delete the XP partition and reclaim the space for other uses?

Thanks in advance,
Arthur Dent;

Rick Rogers

Re: Changing Boot Partition
Hi Arthur,

Run disk manager, make the Vista install partition the active one. Then
restart the system and boot to the Vista DVD. From there, you will need to
run a startup repair to rewrite the boot files to the now active Vista
volume.

Incidentally, you don't really need to do this. Just delete the unwanted XP
system folders from the first partition to recover the space, leaving only
the boot files on the root as well as the \boot folder.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey all...
>
> I originally installed my Vista install on a secondary (logical) partition
> as a dual boot with XP (in case i wanted or needed to go back).
> I have now been satisfied enough with Vista to want to get rid of XP. Only
> problem is that Vista's bootmanager is (i think) on the XP partition.
>
> How can i move the bootmanager on to the same partition as Vista, so that
> i can then delete the XP partition and reclaim the space for other uses?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Arthur Dent;

Alun Harford

Re: Changing Boot Partition
Arthur Dent wrote:
> Hey all...
>
> I originally installed my Vista install on a secondary (logical)
> partition as a dual boot with XP (in case i wanted or needed to go back).
> I have now been satisfied enough with Vista to want to get rid of XP.
> Only problem is that Vista's bootmanager is (i think) on the XP partition.
>
> How can i move the bootmanager on to the same partition as Vista, so
> that i can then delete the XP partition and reclaim the space for other
> uses?

You can only boot from a primary partition. If you've installed Vista on
a logical (extended) partition, you'll probably have to reinstall it on
a primary partition (or keep the boot manager on the primary partition) :-(

Alun Harford