Reinstallation problems with Recovery and Restore Options

gkdiamond

Reinstallation problems with Recovery and Restore Options
Hello,

I have issues that I would like your help with.

I purchased an HP Pavilion a1730n on ebay as "brand new sealed in box" but
as it turned out it had been used for approximately 4 days (judging by the
file dates). It came with the Windows Vista Home Premium operating system
installed on it. The previous owner had it password protected so I had to
reinstall the operating system to get access. I reinstalled Vista using the
disc labeled "Windows Anytime Upgrade" which is the only disc that came with
it. Everything seems to be working fine but the original bundled software
that was installed with the operating system is no longer there. I can see
all of it in the Windows.old folder under Program Files.

I want to restore/recover these programs, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader,
Realtek, Roxio, etc. but I can not. I tried to recover them by selecting
'Start' and then 'All Programs' but the 'PC Help & Tools' option which
activates the Recovery Manager does not appear as it should. When I tried to
use the 'Help and Support' option under the 'Start' menu nothing comes up
for the topic "PC Help & Tools" or for the topic "Recovery Manager" which
seems strange to me. I did a search for "PC Help & Tools" at the search
prompt under the 'Start' menu and found its' folder under Windows.old. I
clicked on the Recovery Manager Shortcut in the folder to try to open it but
get the following error message:

"C:\Windows\SMINST\Restore7.exe The Specified path does not exist. Check
the path, and try again."

I also tried starting the recovery from powerup using the <F11=System
Recovery> function key but the system just ignores it. This key was
recognized before I reinstalled the operating system. The <ESC=Boot Menu> and
<F10=Setup> keys still work fine at the startup screen. All I did was
reintstall the operating system using the install disc and instruction and
now the Recovery Manager no longer works. How do I fix it?

Another option that might be even better(?) could be to restore the files
from the Windows.old folder because they are the original Vista operating
system files and programs but I do not know how to do it without also
restoring the old password which I do not know what it is [hence the original
problem]. Can anyone tell me what I should delete, change or modify before
restoring the Windows.old folder so that the old password is not used again?

Also, out of curiousity, my system shows 260 GB free of 291 GB on drive C:
and 904 MB free of 6.25 GB on the Recovery (D partition which totals to
297.25 GB of total disc space. The harddrive is a 320 GB harddrive, what
happened to the other 22.75 GB of harddrive space?

Thanks for any help that you guys may be able to provide, it will be much
appreciated.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Reinstallation problems with Recovery and Restore Options
Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows Vista:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...me=c008147 31

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"gkdiamond" wrote:

[...]

Carey, thanks for the quick reply and the link but I have already tried a
system recovery from Windows Vista and a recovery from power up. As I
stated, I never get or see the 'PC Help & Tools' option from Vista and the
F11 key does not respond from power up. If nobody can help me here I may have
to order the recovery disc from HP and try a system recovery from the
recovery disc. I'm hoping that I can just do a restore of the Windows.old
folder, but without the old password, if someone knows how to do it.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> now the Recovery Manager no longer works. How do I fix it?
>
> Another option that might be even better(?) could be to restore the files
> from the Windows.old folder because they are the original Vista operating
> system files and programs but I do not know how to do it without also
> restoring the old password which I do not know what it is [hence the original
> problem]. Can anyone tell me what I should delete, change or modify before
> restoring the Windows.old folder so that the old password is not used again?
>
> Also, out of curiousity, my system shows 260 GB free of 291 GB on drive C:
> and 904 MB free of 6.25 GB on the Recovery (D partition which totals to
> 297.25 GB of total disc space. The harddrive is a 320 GB harddrive, what
> happened to the other 22.75 GB of harddrive space?
>
> Thanks for any help that you guys may be able to provide, it will be much

Rick Rogers

Re: Reinstallation problems with Recovery and Restore Options
Hi,

You can recover the original install from the Windows.old folder using the
steps here, but it comes with the password - there's no way to isolate and
remove it as part of the recovery: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168

The programs would have to be reinstalled under the current OS installation
in order for them to work. You can't simply drag them out of the old install
folder. The system recovery partition would have been overwritten as part of
the Vista install, so the only real way to regain the original OS without
the password would be recovery disks from HP.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"gkdiamond" <gkdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> from the Windows.old folder because they are the original Vista operating
>> system files and programs but I do not know how to do it without also
>> restoring the old password which I do not know what it is [hence the
>> original
>> problem]. Can anyone tell me what I should delete, change or modify
>> before
>> restoring the Windows.old folder so that the old password is not used
>> again?
>>
>> Also, out of curiousity, my system shows 260 GB free of 291 GB on drive
>> C:
>> and 904 MB free of 6.25 GB on the Recovery (D partition which totals to
>> 297.25 GB of total disc space. The harddrive is a 320 GB harddrive, what
>> happened to the other 22.75 GB of harddrive space?
>>
>> Thanks for any help that you guys may be able to provide, it will be much

gkdiamond

Re: Reinstallation problems with Recovery and Restore Options
Thank you Rick for your time and help. I was actually hoping there was a way
to edit the appropriate files under the Windows.old folder to change or
delete the old password before doing the Restore. It seems like that should
be doable.

I also didn't realize that reinstalling the OS overwrites the Recovery
Partition, it doesn't make sense to me why since it contains the original
programs. It also doesn't make sense to me why I can not even invoke the
Recovery Manager even if the partition has been overwritten.

Looks like the easiest fix is the Recovery Disc from HP. Do you happen to
know if the HP Recovery Disc will also overwrite the Recovery Partition so
that it [the Recovery Manager] works again? Thanks again.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> [...]
> >> from the Windows.old folder because they are the original Vista operating
> >> system files and programs but I do not know how to do it without also
> >> restoring the old password which I do not know what it is [hence the
> >> original
> >> problem]. Can anyone tell me what I should delete, change or modify
> >> before
> >> restoring the Windows.old folder so that the old password is not used
> >> again?
> >>
> >> Also, out of curiousity, my system shows 260 GB free of 291 GB on drive
> >> C:
> >> and 904 MB free of 6.25 GB on the Recovery (D partition which totals to
> >> 297.25 GB of total disc space. The harddrive is a 320 GB harddrive, what
> >> happened to the other 22.75 GB of harddrive space?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help that you guys may be able to provide, it will be much

Rick Rogers

Re: Reinstallation problems with Recovery and Restore Options
Hi,

Once you have the recovery disks, the recovery partition would be immaterial
as it accomplishes the same thing.

When the original owner received the Vista upgrade disks (there should be
both an upgrade and driver/programs disk), it carried with it the warning
that using it would wipe out the recovery partition and that they should
make a backup of it before proceeding (HP provides for this in their
original installation). They either chose not to do so, or not to provide
you with the disks.

--

> Thank you Rick for your time and help. I was actually hoping there was a
> way
> to edit the appropriate files under the Windows.old folder to change or
> delete the old password before doing the Restore. It seems like that
> should
> be doable.
>
> I also didn't realize that reinstalling the OS overwrites the Recovery
> Partition, it doesn't make sense to me why since it contains the original
> programs. It also doesn't make sense to me why I can not even invoke the
> Recovery Manager even if the partition has been overwritten.
>
> Looks like the easiest fix is the Recovery Disc from HP. Do you happen to
> know if the HP Recovery Disc will also overwrite the Recovery Partition so
> that it [the Recovery Manager] works again? Thanks again.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can recover the original install from the Windows.old folder using
>> the
>> steps here, but it comes with the password - there's no way to isolate
>> and
>> remove it as part of the recovery: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168
>>
>> The programs would have to be reinstalled under the current OS
>> installation
>> in order for them to work. You can't simply drag them out of the old
>> install
>> folder. The system recovery partition would have been overwritten as part
>> of
>> the Vista install, so the only real way to regain the original OS without
>> the password would be recovery disks from HP.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "gkdiamond" <gkdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Carey, thanks for the quick reply and the link but I have already tried
>> > system recovery from Windows Vista and a recovery from power up. As I
>> > stated, I never get or see the 'PC Help & Tools' option from Vista and
>> > the
>> > F11 key does not respond from power up. If nobody can help me here I
>> > may
>> > have
>> > to order the recovery disc from HP and try a system recovery from the
>> > recovery disc. I'm hoping that I can just do a restore of the
>> > Windows.old
>> > folder, but without the old password, if someone knows how to do it.

gkdiamond

Re: Reinstallation problems with Recovery and Restore Options
Hi Rick,

Once again thanks for your help and answers. I have a couple more questions.
I'm a bit confused. The original owner did not upgrade the PC to Vista, this
model comes with the Home Premium version installed. Even at his password
prompt, before I reinstalled the OS, it showed "Windows Vist Home Premium". I
assumed that the upgrade disk came with the PC from MS as an easy way to
upgrade to Vista Ultimate for those who may wish to do so at some time. I
also assumed it contained the Home Premium version on it [since it is the
only disk that came with the PC], which is why I used it to reinstalled the
original OS (Vista Home Premium). I did not get the driver/programs disk. Do
I need it or will the recovery disks have everything I need? Also, since the
recovery partition is no longer of use why waste over 6 GB of space. Can I
reformat the harddrive to erase it before using the recovery disks or will
that just cause other problems?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Once you have the recovery disks, the recovery partition would be immaterial
> as it accomplishes the same thing.
>
> When the original owner received the Vista upgrade disks (there should be
> both an upgrade and driver/programs disk), it carried with it the warning
> that using it would wipe out the recovery partition and that they should
> make a backup of it before proceeding (HP provides for this in their
> original installation). They either chose not to do so, or not to provide
> you with the disks.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "gkdiamond" <gkdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Rick for your time and help. I was actually hoping there was a
> > way
> > to edit the appropriate files under the Windows.old folder to change or
> > delete the old password before doing the Restore. It seems like that
> > should
> > be doable.
> >
> > I also didn't realize that reinstalling the OS overwrites the Recovery
> > Partition, it doesn't make sense to me why since it contains the original
> > programs. It also doesn't make sense to me why I can not even invoke the
> > Recovery Manager even if the partition has been overwritten.
> >
> > Looks like the easiest fix is the Recovery Disc from HP. Do you happen to
> > know if the HP Recovery Disc will also overwrite the Recovery Partition so
> > that it [the Recovery Manager] works again? Thanks again.
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> You can recover the original install from the Windows.old folder using
> >> the
> >> steps here, but it comes with the password - there's no way to isolate
> >> and
> >> remove it as part of the recovery: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168
> >>
> >> The programs would have to be reinstalled under the current OS
> >> installation
> >> in order for them to work. You can't simply drag them out of the old
> >> install
> >> folder. The system recovery partition would have been overwritten as part
> >> of
> >> the Vista install, so the only real way to regain the original OS without
> >> the password would be recovery disks from HP.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: Reinstallation problems with Recovery and Restore Options
Hi,

HP commonly shipped their systems late last year and early this one with XP
still installed and provided for an offer to upgrade to Vista. The original
system ships without any disks, just a recovery partition. Even if it
shipped with Vista, this would be the case. The Vista disk comes as a result
of either choosing the upgrade offer (in which case the disk comes from HP
along with an additional driver and program disk) or from using anytime
upgrade (where Microsoft provides it). But, normally no disk is included
with the system at all, so the original owner had to have followed one of
these two paths. Either way, it's the product key that determines which
version is installed, not the disk itself (which contains all versions).

Since HP does not normally included disks, the recovery partition is a
necessity for those that don't have them. If you have them, then it is not
necessary to maintain it. The recovery disks from HP generally wipe a drive
clean and lay down a fresh image, so formatting ahead of time is rarely
necessary. Backup any data files that you do not want to lose before
beginning.

--

> Hi Rick,
>
> Once again thanks for your help and answers. I have a couple more
> questions.
> I'm a bit confused. The original owner did not upgrade the PC to Vista,
> this
> model comes with the Home Premium version installed. Even at his password
> prompt, before I reinstalled the OS, it showed "Windows Vist Home
> Premium". I
> assumed that the upgrade disk came with the PC from MS as an easy way to
> upgrade to Vista Ultimate for those who may wish to do so at some time. I
> also assumed it contained the Home Premium version on it [since it is the
> only disk that came with the PC], which is why I used it to reinstalled
> the
> original OS (Vista Home Premium). I did not get the driver/programs disk.
> Do
> I need it or will the recovery disks have everything I need? Also, since
> the
> recovery partition is no longer of use why waste over 6 GB of space. Can I
> reformat the harddrive to erase it before using the recovery disks or will
> that just cause other problems?
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Once you have the recovery disks, the recovery partition would be
>> immaterial
>> as it accomplishes the same thing.
>>
>> When the original owner received the Vista upgrade disks (there should be
>> both an upgrade and driver/programs disk), it carried with it the warning
>> that using it would wipe out the recovery partition and that they should
>> make a backup of it before proceeding (HP provides for this in their
>> original installation). They either chose not to do so, or not to provide
>> you with the disks.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "gkdiamond" <gkdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you Rick for your time and help. I was actually hoping there was
>> > way
>> > to edit the appropriate files under the Windows.old folder to change
>> > or
>> > delete the old password before doing the Restore. It seems like that
>> > should
>> > be doable.
>> >
>> > I also didn't realize that reinstalling the OS overwrites the Recovery
>> > Partition, it doesn't make sense to me why since it contains the
>> > original
>> > programs. It also doesn't make sense to me why I can not even invoke
>> > the
>> > Recovery Manager even if the partition has been overwritten.
>> >
>> > Looks like the easiest fix is the Recovery Disc from HP. Do you happen
>> > know if the HP Recovery Disc will also overwrite the Recovery Partition
>> > so
>> > that it [the Recovery Manager] works again? Thanks again.

gkdiamond

Re: Reinstallation problems with Recovery and Restore Options
Got it, thanks for all your help Rick.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> [...]
> > I need it or will the recovery disks have everything I need? Also, since
> > the
> > recovery partition is no longer of use why waste over 6 GB of space. Can I
> > reformat the harddrive to erase it before using the recovery disks or will
> > that just cause other problems?
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Once you have the recovery disks, the recovery partition would be
> >> immaterial
> >> as it accomplishes the same thing.
> >>
> >> When the original owner received the Vista upgrade disks (there should be
> >> both an upgrade and driver/programs disk), it carried with it the warning
> >> that using it would wipe out the recovery partition and that they should
> >> make a backup of it before proceeding (HP provides for this in their
> >> original installation). They either chose not to do so, or not to provide

Vaneet Singla

Burn recovery disks without using recovery manager
Dear Rick

I just bought new HP notebook with windows vista home premium installed. I didnt want all the HP pre-installeds so i formatted my C: drive and installed a fresh copy of home premium but i forgot to make recovery disks. I still have the recovery disk partition but the F11 key doesn't work as the new windows is not able to detect it.

Is there anyway i could change the MBR so that this windows would recognize the other partition and would allow me to burn recovery disks or if there is any other way you might know.

Would really appreciate a quick reply...

thanks

Vinny

http://www.eggheadcafe.com