Basic set-up of new, clean Vista Home install....

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Basic set-up of new, clean Vista Home install....
I am about to install Vista Home Premium for the first time, on a brand
new PC with no peripherals and only mother-board aoudio and video.

How can I be certain that I have full rights to the entire PC at all times,
setting up to be both the primary user and the administrator... preferably
avoiding any sort of future log in necessity or difficulty with administrative
"access" issues?

I will do an attended install. Is there any compilation of basic 'tips' out there
for a setup that would enable the above and make future issues less of a
problem (than I see while reading this group) ?

Thanks,

DM

...winston

Re: Basic set-up of new, clean Vista Home install....
The first account created in a new Vista install is a user account with admin rights.
Install the balance of the Vista designed or compatible software. Then create a second limited account for normal use.

If you've not used Vista...suggested reading on UAC and Networking units if applicable.

..winston

:

"...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message news:%23tdzCxsrHHA.4548@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> The first account created in a new Vista install is a user account with
> admin rights.

Good. Thanks.

> Install the balance of the Vista designed or compatible software.

Duh.... are you referencing something from the OS install disc?

I will *not* add software or peripherals to this box until I have a
decent grip on the OS. This install is for nothing but learning
purposes.

> Then create a second limited account for normal use.

Why would I do that? My whole purpose here is to keep the OS
as streamlined and file-free as possible. I can't see having yet
another set of files created and another set of dumb questions
popping up every times I want to do something.

Anyway... I've been sitting on this OS for several moths, and I've
got ants in my pants to see what all the controversy is about
and why people can't seem to keep it working, so I'll be doing
the install later this evening.

> If you've not used Vista...

Never used it before at all... so all I have is a few months of reading this
group and sitting on the OS box, and the little booklet that came with it.

> suggested reading on UAC and
> Networking units if applicable.

Where? Is this something in the OS welcome center or something
I need to peruse on line? There's nothing in the little booklet that
appears to deal with UAC.

> ..winston

Thanks for your help.

DM

[...]

Dave

Re: Basic set-up of new, clean Vista Home install....
Just jump in... the water's fine.

> "...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message
>> The first account created in a new Vista install is a user account with
>> admin rights.

> Good. Thanks.
>
>> Install the balance of the Vista designed or compatible software.

> Duh.... are you referencing something from the OS install disc?
>
> I will *not* add software or peripherals to this box until I have a
> decent grip on the OS. This install is for nothing but learning
> purposes.
>
>> Then create a second limited account for normal use.

> Why would I do that? My whole purpose here is to keep the OS
> as streamlined and file-free as possible. I can't see having yet
> another set of files created and another set of dumb questions
> popping up every times I want to do something.
>
> Anyway... I've been sitting on this OS for several moths, and I've
> got ants in my pants to see what all the controversy is about
> and why people can't seem to keep it working, so I'll be doing
> the install later this evening.
>
>> If you've not used Vista...

> Never used it before at all... so all I have is a few months of reading
> this
> group and sitting on the OS box, and the little booklet that came with it.
>
>> suggested reading on UAC and
>> Networking units if applicable.

> Where? Is this something in the OS welcome center or something
> I need to peruse on line? There's nothing in the little booklet that
> appears to deal with UAC.
>
>> ..winston

> Thanks for your help.
>
> DM
>

> "David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message
> :I am about to install Vista Home Premium for the first time, on a brand
> : new PC with no peripherals and only mother-board aoudio and video.
> :
> : How can I be certain that I have full rights to the entire PC at all
> times,
> : setting up to be both the primary user and the administrator...
> preferably
> : avoiding any sort of future log in necessity or difficulty with
> administrative
> : "access" issues?
> :
> : I will do an attended install. Is there any compilation of basic 'tips'
> out there
> : for a setup that would enable the above and make future issues less of a
> : problem (than I see while reading this group) ?
> :
> : Thanks,
> :
> : DM
> :
> :
> :

...winston

Re: Basic set-up of new, clean Vista Home install....
No. et al referencing something on the o/s install disk. You should do it manually.
Even with Vista's more demanding security features using an admin account for normal use is not recommended.
I would read online articles or visit the Visit site, the Msft Technet articles etc..
..winston

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message news:cpjci.5575$O15.1990@trnddc03...
:
[...]
::
:: How can I be certain that I have full rights to the entire PC at all times,
:: setting up to be both the primary user and the administrator... preferably
:: avoiding any sort of future log in necessity or difficulty with administrative
:: "access" issues?
::
:: I will do an attended install. Is there any compilation of basic 'tips' out there
:: for a setup that would enable the above and make future issues less of a
:: problem (than I see while reading this group) ?
::
:: Thanks,
::
:: DM
::
::
::
:
:
Rock

Re: Basic set-up of new, clean Vista Home install....
"David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message

<snip>

> Where? Is this something in the OS welcome center or something
> I need to peruse on line? There's nothing in the little booklet that
> appears to deal with UAC.

Here are some links with info on UAC.

Inside Windows Vista User Account Control (Mark Russinovich)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...C/default.aspx

Jesper Johansson's Blog
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...really-is.aspx

Why is Windows Vista always asking for my permission: An explanation of UAC
(User Account Control) by
MVP Jimmy Brush
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/security/uac.aspx

Windows Vista User Account Control Step by Step Guide (TechNet)

Vista does things differently then XP. One issue that seems to confuse
users is that Vista keeps certain folders for use by legacy apps, such as
Documents and Settings, but doesn't store data there. These folders are
junctions that contain a pointer to the actual folder in Vista that contains
the data. There is no need to access them. The only appear if you have
changed the view settings to show hidden folders and display operating
system files. They appear as a faded folder with the shortcut arrow, and
when you try to open them it gives an Access denied message.

If you want to see what folder it points to, open a elevated command prompt,
navigate to the folder that contains the folder in question and give the
command:
dir /al

Junction points are designated by <Junction> and the folder to which it
points is at the end of the line in square brackets. Do not change the
permissions on these junction points. It can cause problems for the same
legacy apps they are they for in the first place.

From a post by Jimmy Brush here is a list of the these XP folders and their
corresponding locations in Vista:
Windows XP Location Windows Vista Location
\Documents and Settings \Users
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents \Users\$USER$\Documents
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents\My Music \Users\$USER$\Music
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents\My Pictures
\Users\$USER$\Pictures
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents\My Videos
\Users\$USER$\Videos
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Application Data
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Cookies
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Co okies
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Local
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\NetHood
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Ne twork Shortcuts
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\PrintHood
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Pr inter Shortcuts
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Recent
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Re cent
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\SendTo
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Se ndTo
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Start Menu
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\St art Menu
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Templates
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Te mplates
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\Application Data
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Local
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\History
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Hist ory
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet Files
\Documents and Settings\All Users \ProgramData
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data \ProgramData
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop \Users\Public\Desktop
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents \Users\Public\Documents
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites \Users\Public\Favorites
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates
\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
\Documents and Settings\Default User \Users\Default "

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Basic set-up of new, clean Vista Home install....
THANK YOU!

DM

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message news:eKbVwivrHHA.4548@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> [...]

> \Users\$USER$\AppData\Local
> \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\History
> \Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Hist ory
> \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
> \Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet Files
> \Documents and Settings\All Users \ProgramData
> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data \ProgramData
> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop \Users\Public\Desktop
> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents \Users\Public\Documents
> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites \Users\Public\Favorites
> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
> \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates
> \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
> \Documents and Settings\Default User \Users\Default "

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message news:%23XVLh4urHHA.4740@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
No. et al referencing something on the o/s install disk. You should do it manually.
Even with Vista's more demanding security features using an admin account for
normal use is not recommended.
I would read online articles or visit the Visit site, the Msft Technet articles etc..
..winston
______________________________

Once the OS is registered, this box will not see the light of the internet until
I have a grip on the OS. Security is a bad joke, IMHO. I've had one virus
in 9 years of surfing with NO anti-virus software what-so-ever... and it came
via e-mail, not from resting on the web. I'm talking about multiple PCs in
multiple locations... not just one surfing toy. I'll be doing no banking, no
surfing, no e-mailing.... this box is solely for the purpose of learning my
way around the most basic VISTA OS.

I got through the very simple and quick install, left for dinner with the initial
welcome screen up for perusal... hadn't even opened the start menu yet.
Just clicking on some of the feature sets for more information resulted in
stupid boxes asking me if it was ok to do what I wanted to do. When I
returned, not only was the monitor shut off and the drives powered down,
but the whole damned computer had shut down - although the power switch
brought me back to the same place as when I left, so I suppose this was
some sort of hibernation or sleep mode.... something I though that I had
rejected in the BIOS.

As I learn and customize the OS, perhaps I'll add some software or surf
the net with it... until then, I can already see that I am looking a piece of
software that is telling *me* what I want to do with my computer and how;
or even worse, questioning me every time I want DO to do something that's
even remotely basic. "Are you sure you want to look at this folder?" Sheeesh.
Surely there's a way to shut all that crapola down so that I have a platform
thats not coming between me and any future software or hardware I'd like
it to run.

All I can see, is that I will be tweaking and shutting as much of this interference
down (starting with that *stupid* side-bar running slides, showing me a watch
face, and asking me what new channel I'dike to see) as is humanly possible
for some time to come.... so I appreciate any tips on doing so.

If it can't be made into a quiet, unoticeable platform for smooth work, I'm
looking at the wrong OS for what I need to do. This reminds me a lot of
Millenium Edition at first glance.... I threw that one into the wastebasket
after about 6 weeks of heartache, that many years ago. Sorry... I may
be a bit over-influenced by my weeks of reading this group, but having
not even gotten to the start menu yet, I see what many people are talking
about as being bothersome.

Thanks again,

DM

[...]

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote
> THANK YOU!
>
> DM

You're welcome.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

> [...]

>> \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\History
>> \Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Hist ory
>> \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
>> \Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet Files
>> \Documents and Settings\All Users \ProgramData
>> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data \ProgramData
>> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop \Users\Public\Desktop
>> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents \Users\Public\Documents
>> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites \Users\Public\Favorites
>> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
>> \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
>> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates
>> \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
>> \Documents and Settings\Default User \Users\Default "

...winston

Re: Basic set-up of new, clean Vista Home install....
Vista Activation is required, registration is not.
You might find that without Internet Access Vista will be limited(no updates, less search and help).
ME lasted less on my machines.
Good Luck!
...winston

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message news:tjqci.5621$O15.657@trnddc03...
:
: "...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message news:%23XVLh4urHHA.4740@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
: No. et al referencing something on the o/s install disk. You should do it manually.
: Even with Vista's more demanding security features using an admin account for
: normal use is not recommended.
: I would read online articles or visit the Visit site, the Msft Technet articles etc..
: ..winston
:
: