can not change desktop icons

Jerry Grabill

can not change desktop icons
I can not change desktop shortcut icons.

I need help.
PaulB

RE: can not change desktop icons
Which ones do you want to change?
--
Paul

"Jerry Grabill" wrote:

> I can not change desktop shortcut icons.
>
> I need help.

Jerry Grabill

Re: can not change desktop icons
Shortcuts I have created for new programs and web sites.

"PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Which ones do you want to change?
> --
> Paul
>

> "Jerry Grabill" wrote:
>
>> I can not change desktop shortcut icons.
>>
>> I need help.

JW

Re: can not change desktop icons
Set up to use smaller Icons for some reason to change the Icons the Icons
need to be less then 50 pixels high.

"Jerry Grabill" <jgrabill@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Shortcuts I have created for new programs and web sites.
>
> "PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Which ones do you want to change?
>> --
>> Paul
>>

>> "Jerry Grabill" wrote:
>>
>>> I can not change desktop shortcut icons.
>>>
>>> I need help.

Chad Harris

Re: can not change desktop icons
JW--

I found this interesting because I often change icons using the over a
thousand intrinsic icons in Vista and adding favicon.ico to urls, using
program folders or zip files, or programs like Office. However in Vista I
could not make shortcuts exchange icons--only folders. I have resorted to
putting shortcuts in folders with the same name but your method while
interesting, doesn't work for me at all. I tried using the smallest icon
setting. Where did you get the 50 pixal guidelines?

CH

"JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
> Set up to use smaller Icons for some reason to change the Icons the Icons
> need to be less then 50 pixels high.
>
> "Jerry Grabill" <jgrabill@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Shortcuts I have created for new programs and web sites.
>>
>> "PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Which ones do you want to change?
>>> --
>>> Paul

JW

Re: can not change desktop icons
I saw it posted about a month ago without an explanation and found that with
IE7 on XP where you could specify the ICON heights you had to set the height
to 48 or less.
On Vista I have the smallest Icon selected but also had to lower the DPI
from the value I had it set to insure that pixel height was small enough on
my 1280x1024 display.

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
> JW--
>
> I found this interesting because I often change icons using the over a
> thousand intrinsic icons in Vista and adding favicon.ico to urls, using
> program folders or zip files, or programs like Office. However in Vista I
> could not make shortcuts exchange icons--only folders. I have resorted to
> putting shortcuts in folders with the same name but your method while
> interesting, doesn't work for me at all. I tried using the smallest icon
> setting. Where did you get the 50 pixal guidelines?
>
> CH
>
> "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
>> Set up to use smaller Icons for some reason to change the Icons the Icons
>> need to be less then 50 pixels high.
>>
>> "Jerry Grabill" <jgrabill@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> Shortcuts I have created for new programs and web sites.

Chad Harris

Re: can not change desktop icons
JW--

That's good info. My understanding is you empirically tried and then scaled
the icons lower than default. It's ridiculouls that you have to do that
though, so I can live with doing my 'icon thing' where I can collect
favicons and intrinsic icons from Vista or XP (about 2000 including
downloaded programs and zip files for them) with folders where you don't
have to play games with scaling them.

I do appreciate the info though--it's resourceful of you to have figured
that out. I don't know what about Vista influenced the shell team or
whomever to play games with the shortcuts so that you can't do icon
exchanges with them by default.

>I saw it posted about a month ago without an explanation and found that
>with IE7 on XP where you could specify the ICON heights you had to set the
>height to 48 or less.
> On Vista I have the smallest Icon selected but also had to lower the DPI
> from the value I had it set to insure that pixel height was small enough
> on my 1280x1024 display.
>
> "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
>> JW--
>>
>> I found this interesting because I often change icons using the over a
>> thousand intrinsic icons in Vista and adding favicon.ico to urls, using
>> program folders or zip files, or programs like Office. However in Vista I
>> could not make shortcuts exchange icons--only folders. I have resorted
>> to putting shortcuts in folders with the same name but your method while
>> interesting, doesn't work for me at all. I tried using the smallest icon
>> setting. Where did you get the 50 pixal guidelines?
>>
>> CH
>>
>> "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
>>> Set up to use smaller Icons for some reason to change the Icons the
>>> Icons need to be less then 50 pixels high.

JW

Re: can not change desktop icons
I do keep all Icons that I need to use separately such as favicons in a
single My Icons folder in My Documents.
I am still not sure how your scheme works, sounds like it might be better
then mine if it will work with my 1280x1024 display.