Reformatting

Kristi

Reformatting
I have gotten some viruses on my computer and I have done rescans on
everything but I think it went too deep to recover from. Some issues I was
having are the freezing of my computer and I play WOW and during the game it
will give me an error of 132. Well, like I said, I ran virus scans and
adware and spyware scans. It still did not fix it. Well, now that I was
going to reformat my system, I can't even get the main screen to come up
anymore. I keep getting the "blue screen of death" is what I have heard it
called and then restarts my computer. It just goes in a cycle like that and
I can't get my vista cd to boot. I did try to go into dos and see if there
was some setup that I could tell it to boot from the cd but it doesn't even
offer that option. I am lost and any help to get my computer reformatted
would be great.

Tim

Re: Reformatting
You said you "did try to go into dos...". Did you really mean to say you
went into the PC's BIOS setup? If so, and you really didn't find an option
to change the boot order (must be an older PC) then you need to boot from a
floppy that loads CD-ROM drivers. I remember the old Win98 setup floppy did
that. You can also make your own if you have the drivers and a way to sys a
floppy.

Tim

"Kristi" <u35044@uwe> wrote in message news:73a684383e0b6@uwe...
>I have gotten some viruses on my computer and I have done rescans on
> everything but I think it went too deep to recover from. Some issues I
> was
> having are the freezing of my computer and I play WOW and during the game
> it
> will give me an error of 132. Well, like I said, I ran virus scans and
> adware and spyware scans. It still did not fix it. Well, now that I was
> going to reformat my system, I can't even get the main screen to come up
> anymore. I keep getting the "blue screen of death" is what I have heard
> it
> called and then restarts my computer. It just goes in a cycle like that
> and
> I can't get my vista cd to boot. I did try to go into dos and see if
> there
> was some setup that I could tell it to boot from the cd but it doesn't
> even
> offer that option. I am lost and any help to get my computer reformatted
> would be great.

Kristi via WindowsKB.com

Re: Reformatting
Thank you Tim for your reply. Yes, I did mean the bios screen. I did get
the system to boot up from the cd but when I try to tell it to download Vista
again, it says I need a CD/DVD driver which I have no clue where to get. I
don't have any discs I can use. So, I don't know how to format otherwise.

Tim wrote:
>You said you "did try to go into dos...". Did you really mean to say you
>went into the PC's BIOS setup? If so, and you really didn't find an option
>to change the boot order (must be an older PC) then you need to boot from a
>floppy that loads CD-ROM drivers. I remember the old Win98 setup floppy did
>that. You can also make your own if you have the drivers and a way to sys a
>floppy.
>
>Tim
>
>>I have gotten some viruses on my computer and I have done rescans on
>> everything but I think it went too deep to recover from. Some issues I

>[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
>> offer that option. I am lost and any help to get my computer reformatted
>> would be great.

Tim

Re: Reformatting
When you said you "try to tell it to download Vista" did you really mean
you're just trying to start the installation process from the Vista DVD?
Because you can't download something from the Internet without a functional
OS.

Maybe it's asking you for a driver disk for your hard drive. What make/model
of PC is this? What is the make/model of your hard drive? If it's SATA or
RAID, you may need to provide drivers before Windows install can continue.
What keys are you pressing after the initial boot from CD? Maybe you are
pressing the key (sorry, I don't remember off hand which one it is) that
forces the install to stop and ask for a driver.

Tim