Remote Desktop Web Connection for Vista

Digit0

Remote Desktop Web Connection for Vista
On July 28, 2003 Tony Northrup (then a Windows XP Expert Zone Community
Columnist) wrote a superb piece on how to set up Remote Desktop Web
Connection with Windows XP.

Does anyone know if a similar article exists for Vista, or, indeed, if RDWC
works with Vista and if so, how the host gets configured.

Any help would be awesome.

Digit0

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection for Vista
"Digit0" <available@onrequest> wrote in message
> On July 28, 2003 Tony Northrup (then a Windows XP Expert Zone Community
> Columnist) wrote a superb piece on how to set up Remote Desktop Web
> Connection with Windows XP.
>
> Does anyone know if a similar article exists for Vista, or, indeed, if
> RDWC works with Vista and if so, how the host gets configured.
>
> Any help would be awesome.
>
> Digit0

I started playing with that a bit ago. I don't believe IIS 7, as installed
on Vista, includes the needed pieces like XP and IIS 6 did. Someone should
correct me if I am wrong about that.

I did run across this that may be of interest though...

http://forums.iis.net/t/1117869.aspx

I tried that and it did work to a point. I had issues with drive
redirection. If I modified the default.htm file so drive redirection was
TRUE...

MsRdpClient.AdvancedSettings2.RedirectDrives = TRUE

....I would get an IE error on page message and could not proceed. If I made
that FALSE, ie. the default, I could connect to my desktop with Remote
Desktop. There is also no way to change the IIS listening port like there
was before which could cause issues if your ISP blocks TCP Port 80 inbound
to your server PC. By the way, the TSWeb folder gets created in the
"C:\inetpub\wwwroot" folder on Vista. My test was on a Vista Ultimate
machine.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Kerry Brown

Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection for Vista
This may work. You will have to install IIS then tswebsetup.exe.

Let us know if it works, thanks.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Digit0" <available@onrequest> wrote in message
> On July 28, 2003 Tony Northrup (then a Windows XP Expert Zone Community
> Columnist) wrote a superb piece on how to set up Remote Desktop Web
> Connection with Windows XP.
>
> Does anyone know if a similar article exists for Vista, or, indeed, if
> RDWC works with Vista and if so, how the host gets configured.
>
> Any help would be awesome.
>
> Digit0

Digit0

Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection for Vista
Thanks Kerry and thanks Al for pointing me in the right direction. These
are the steps to take to get Remote Desktop Web Connection operating in
Windows Vista Ultimate:

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows features on or
off

2. Go to Internet Information Services and select the check boxes for Web
Management Tools and World Wide Web Services. [Web Management Tools
installs IIS 6.0 which is needed for the following download; there is also
some feature in World Wide Web Services that is needed, but I haven't
isolated it yet, so select everything for now]

3. Install tswebsetup.exe from

4. Go to C: Program Data, Microsoft, Windows, Start Menu, Programs,
Administrative Tools, Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager [NOT IIS
6.0 Manager]

5. Expand your computer name, expand Web Sites and click on Default Web
Site

6. On the right side of the screen under Edit Site, click Bindings

7. Click on the web site and click Edit

8. Change the port number to your preferred port designation

9. Under Manage Server on the same screen, Start the service

10. Set-up your router and firewall to accept your designated port

AND YOU'RE DONE! [although you might first want to change your Desktop
Background from a DreamScene if you're running one]

To connect from a remote computer, go to http:// IP addressort no/tsweb
and you'll get the Windows Server screen followed by your Vista password
screen

Thanks again for the help guys. If you find out which particular parameter
of World Wide Web Services is needed, please post it for tidiness.

Digit0

> This may work. You will have to install IIS then tswebsetup.exe.

> Let us know if it works, thanks.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Digit0" <available@onrequest> wrote in message
>> On July 28, 2003 Tony Northrup (then a Windows XP Expert Zone Community
>> Columnist) wrote a superb piece on how to set up Remote Desktop Web
>> Connection with Windows XP.
>>
>> Does anyone know if a similar article exists for Vista, or, indeed, if
>> RDWC works with Vista and if so, how the host gets configured.
>>
>> Any help would be awesome.
>>
>> Digit0

Kerry Brown

Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection for Vista
Thanks for the update. I use Remote Web Workplace all the time with SBS
Servers. It's cool to know I could do the same without the server if needed.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

> [...]

> 6.0 Manager]
>
> 5. Expand your computer name, expand Web Sites and click on Default Web
> Site
>
> 6. On the right side of the screen under Edit Site, click Bindings
>
> 7. Click on the web site and click Edit
>
> 8. Change the port number to your preferred port designation
>
> 9. Under Manage Server on the same screen, Start the service
>
> 10. Set-up your router and firewall to accept your designated port
>
> AND YOU'RE DONE! [although you might first want to change your Desktop
> Background from a DreamScene if you're running one]
>
> To connect from a remote computer, go to http:// IP addressort no/tsweb
> and you'll get the Windows Server screen followed by your Vista password
> screen
>

> Thanks again for the help guys. If you find out which particular
> parameter of World Wide Web Services is needed, please post it for

Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried drive redirection? I had problems
with that as I noted earlier. Also note that when I had my Vista Ultimate
box configured so Remote Desktop would only accept incoming requests from
other Vista clients using Network Level Authentication (NLA) I would get a
VB script error. When I reconfigured to not use NLA connections worked just
fine.