Sony compatibility with Ultimate

Jerilyn

Sony compatibility with Ultimate
I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are not
compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just installed
Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
have any thoughts on this?
Richard G. Harper

Re: Sony compatibility with Ultimate
Don't buy Sony? :-)

"Jerilyn" <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
> desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are
> not
> compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
> largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just
> installed
> Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
> have any thoughts on this?

Randy

Re: Sony compatibility with Ultimate
My friend installed ultimate on his Sony notepad, some feature are unable to
use, he contacted sony, they told him that he should install their business
version of vista. I think you encountered the same situation.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Don't buy Sony? :-)

> "Jerilyn" <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
> > desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are
> > not
> > compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
> > largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just
> > installed
> > Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
> > have any thoughts on this?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Sony compatibility with Ultimate
Jerilyn

Why were you shocked? Sony makes high end and low end systems just like any
other PC maker. If the hardware in your system does not meet the minimum
requirements for Aero, then you will not be able to use it.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Jerilyn" <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
> desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are
> not
> compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
> largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just
> installed
> Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
> have any thoughts on this?

Jerilyn

Re: Sony compatibility with Ultimate
I was shocked because the comment they made to me was that "none of their
computers" (high or low end) would work with Ultimate. I guess I will just
have to take my chances.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Jerilyn
>
> Why were you shocked? Sony makes high end and low end systems just like any
> other PC maker. If the hardware in your system does not meet the minimum
> requirements for Aero, then you will not be able to use it.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Jerilyn" <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
> > desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are
> > not
> > compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
> > largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just
> > installed
> > Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
> > have any thoughts on this?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Sony compatibility with Ultimate
Jerilyn

It sounds like you were talking to an inept person at Sony. My wife has a
one month old Vaio laptop and it runs Vista with all the bells and whistles.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

>I was shocked because the comment they made to me was that "none of their
> computers" (high or low end) would work with Ultimate. I guess I will
> just
> have to take my chances.
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Jerilyn
>>
>> Why were you shocked? Sony makes high end and low end systems just like
>> any
>> other PC maker. If the hardware in your system does not meet the minimum
>> requirements for Aero, then you will not be able to use it.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Jerilyn" <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
>> > desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers
>> > are
>> > not
>> > compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the
>> > world's
>> > largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just
>> > installed
>> > Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to.
>> > Anyone
>> > have any thoughts on this?

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message...

> It sounds like you were talking to an inept person at Sony. My wife has a
> one month old Vaio laptop and it runs Vista with all the bells and whistles.

One month old? I believe that addresses the issue at hand.

Bruce Chambers

Jerilyn wrote:
> I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
> desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are not
> compatible with Ultimate.

Nothing unusual about that. Most computer manufacturers' legacy
computers aren't fully Vista-compatible. Only the very newest,
particularly those bearing the "Vista Ready" or "Designed for Vista"
logos, computers can be reasonably expected to fully support Vista
out-of-the-box.

> I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
> largest suppliers of computers.

Sony made great stereo equipment in the '70s, and still make great TVs
and fairly good game consoles, but I'd never own one of their computers,
no matter how many they sell. The few I've had to service for other
people were horribly "unimpressive," shall we say. Of course, your
tastes and needs may vary, so a Sony may well be adequate for your purposes.

> I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just installed
> Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
> have any thoughts on this?

Upgrade your video adapter (and possibly system RAM) if you want Aero.
We can't really provide anything more specific, as you've told us
nothing about your system's specifications.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Jerilyn

Re: Sony compatibility with Ultimate
Thanks for all the help guys! Ronnie, thanks to you especially. I suspected
the same thing re: dealing with an inept person. Who has ever heard of a
major computer company not supporting Vista or any version of Windows for
that matter on "any" of their computers? It's ludicrous. Anyway, I haven't
had any problems so far. It works great except for the Aero thing. I'll
figure that one out eventually.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Jerilyn wrote:
> > I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
> > desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are not
> > compatible with Ultimate.

> Nothing unusual about that. Most computer manufacturers' legacy
> computers aren't fully Vista-compatible. Only the very newest,
> particularly those bearing the "Vista Ready" or "Designed for Vista"
> logos, computers can be reasonably expected to fully support Vista
> out-of-the-box.
>

> > I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
> > largest suppliers of computers.

> Sony made great stereo equipment in the '70s, and still make great TVs
> and fairly good game consoles, but I'd never own one of their computers,
> no matter how many they sell. The few I've had to service for other
> people were horribly "unimpressive," shall we say. Of course, your
> tastes and needs may vary, so a Sony may well be adequate for your purposes.
>

> > I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just installed
> > Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
> > have any thoughts on this?

> Upgrade your video adapter (and possibly system RAM) if you want Aero.
> We can't really provide anything more specific, as you've told us
> nothing about your system's specifications.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

Jerilyn

Re: Sony compatibility with Ultimate
BTW, I have a Sony Vaio PCV-1132 with 1gb of RAM. I bought it about 2 years
ago with Windows XP already loaded. It has two hard drives. I installed
Vista on the 2nd hard drive so I could boot with either Windows XP or Vista.
It works great so far but I was surprised by Sony's comment as mentioned
before. The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX5200. I understand it has
128mb of memory and I understand that this supports Aero. What now?