Win2k upgrade

Alan T

Win2k upgrade
Can I upgrade to Vista from Win 2000?

Mac

Re: Win2k upgrade
Yes -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

"Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:#M6cu8VrHHA.4764@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Can I upgrade to Vista from Win 2000?

David Dickinson

Re: Win2k upgrade
"Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:%23M6cu8VrHHA.4764@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Can I upgrade to Vista from Win 2000?

Yes, but the Vista installer will do a clean install even if you buy the
upgrade version.

See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

Also, you should run the Upgrade Adviser from

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

Don't shirk at spending the dough to upgrade your hardware. While a fast
processor (personally, I recommend a P4 2.8G 1M/L2 minimum), memory (MS says
512M is okay, and my recommended minimum is 1G, but get 2G anyway), and a
good video card (my personal recommendation is, at minimum, an nVidia 6600
128M) are also very important. My recommendations exceed Microsoft's
minimums, but I want people to be happy, and I'm not selling an OS.

Oh, and get a BIG hard drive. I mean /really/ big, 160G minimum. Vista
will occupy a third of it in a week doing nothing special.

Make sure you read the documentation on the disk before you do the upgrade.

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

Alan T

Re: Win2k upgrade
If this is a clean install, do I need to install my other programs again?

"> Yes, but the Vista installer will do a clean install even if you buy the
> upgrade version.
>
> See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

> Also, you should run the Upgrade Adviser from

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

> Don't shirk at spending the dough to upgrade your hardware. While a fast
> processor (personally, I recommend a P4 2.8G 1M/L2 minimum), memory (MS

says
> 512M is okay, and my recommended minimum is 1G, but get 2G anyway), and a
> good video card (my personal recommendation is, at minimum, an nVidia 6600
> 128M) are also very important. My recommendations exceed Microsoft's
> minimums, but I want people to be happy, and I'm not selling an OS.
>
> Oh, and get a BIG hard drive. I mean /really/ big, 160G minimum. Vista
> will occupy a third of it in a week doing nothing special.
>
> Make sure you read the documentation on the disk before you do the

upgrade.

> --
> David ****inson
> eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org
> Please reply only to the newsgroup, not by email.

Rock

Re: Win2k upgrade
"Alan T" wrote
> If this is a clean install, do I need to install my other programs again?

Yes.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
Alan T

Re: Win2k upgrade
How about if I upgrade from Win2K to XP then Vista?
I got heaps of programs installed in Win2K machine.

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Alan T" wrote
> > If this is a clean install, do I need to install my other programs

again?

> Yes.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Win2k upgrade
"Alan T" wrote
> How about if I upgrade from Win2K to XP then Vista?
> I got heaps of programs installed in Win2K machine.

> "Rock" wrote
>> "Alan T" wrote
>> > If this is a clean install, do I need to install my other programs

> again?

Yes you can upgrade in place from Win2k to XP Pro using an XP Pro upgrade
CD. Then upgrade from there to Vista. How well things will migrate I don't
know. Since you are using programs on Win2k do you know they are all Vista
compatible? Same with the hardware. Are there Vista drivers for all the
legacy hardware?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Hank Arnold

Re: Win2k upgrade
You are better off doing a clean install and then installing your
programs. Upgrades of Operating Systems is never clean. It often carries
over problems from the old to the new.

There's also no guarantee that your programs will continue to work under
Vista.

Regards,
Hank Arnold