Unable in Install Windows Vista Ultimate

Will14

Unable in Install Windows Vista Ultimate
I was/am unable to install Windows Vista Ultimate.

I have a Core 2 Duo 6400,
2-4 gb of Geil ddr2 800 ram.(have tried with 1 2 and 4 in, all 1 GB sticks).

I tried using various HDD's. Hitatchi 250 GB sata2(HITACHI Deskstar T7K500
HDT725025VLA380 (0A33423) 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM).
Seagate 320 and 400 GB sata2.(Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS
(Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -
OEM) and Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3400833AS 400GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA
3.0Gb/s

My mother board is the
https://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pr...5P-DS3&oid=680
should be compatible. I checked the motherboard site for a "separate driver
for sata"
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...me=GA-965P-DS3
didn't see one as I know that's the normal "fix" that is suggested.

I got the error of cannot find disk drive from within the windows ultimate

I tried using both the ICH8 and Jmicron sata connection on the motherboard
and used every single different option in the bios regarding sata
emulation/setup type to no avail. I suppose your going to tell me to try to
load additional drivers for sata, would these be the raid drivers listed on
the site I used previously.

I decided screw it, I'll just install it from within windows xp. So I had a
blank HDD pre-formatted(tried both quick and full NTFS formats just in case,
as well as having raw unformatted partition/no partition). I could go
through the install it would come back with "unspecified error installation
has to restart" or incredible similar error message. I searched both google
and microsoft knowledge bases and did not come up with anything equivalent to
either my initial error from the vista cd or the error from within XP. At
this point spending all weekend on my computer trying to install vista I used
seagate diskwizard, mirrored my XP partition to another drive, reformatted my
old hard drive and RMA'd my previous HDD(HDD was/ fine but the hitatchi
clicked a little and I prefer my pc completely silent).

I suppose I could buy another HDD and test this again if you have any ideas.

I could perhaps try a jmicron driver from asus site?
http://www.alphadownloads.com/driver...ver-a-863.html
Or the drivers from the gigabyte site under raid drivers for my board
although I don't remember seeing the add additional drivers option.
I think I had tried this and it still didn't work but it was about a month
ago and don't remember anymore.

Will future versions of Vista install DVD's address these issues? Or does
MS take the view that it is the responsibility of software and hardware
vendors to make their respective product work with Vista and not vice versa.
I often notice there is a strong MS stance of it being the software vendors
fault for not releasing a new free updated versions of their software for
Vista/any new OS and not MS's fault for being incompatible which is
reasonable to an extent but obnoxious from a user who might've bought a new
pc pre-loaded with Vista as most HP/Dell's are these days then are unable to
use most their software, without spending a few hundred more dollars on new
software. I was however able to run without exception every single piece of
software I had on my AMD 3800+ HP laptop using RC1/2. This includes maybe
games I was unable to run in XP with various compatibility modes and using
old Dll files. I did however notice a significant performance decrease using
vista versus XP, some of which was cleared up while using a 1-2 GB SD card
and ready boost which increased various benchmarks approximately 10% over
Vista w/o a SD card via readyboost(1gb system ram via 2x512mb).

Thanks in advance.

~Will

***Updates***
Before I posted looked up more.
Similar issue as this guy
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/softw...ict235847.html
Similar to this issue
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=350433
Except I don't think I had 3 bad HDD's.
Seems more people have gotten the problem now.
*update*
Here is my exact error messages
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/softw...t=vista+will14
Seth

Re: Unable in Install Windows Vista Ultimate
"Will14" <Will14@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was/am unable to install Windows Vista Ultimate.
>
> My mother board is the
> https://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pr...5P-DS3&oid=680
> should be compatible. I checked the motherboard site for a "separate
> driver
> for sata"
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...me=GA-965P-DS3
> didn't see one as I know that's the normal "fix" that is suggested.
>
> I got the error of cannot find disk drive from within the windows ultimate

The error is Vista doesn't have built in support for your hard disk
controller. You will need to find the correct driver. Maybe if enough
people have this issue it will be included in the SP1 release due out 4Q of
this year or 1Q of next.

Don

Seth wrote:
> ...the SP1 release due out 4Q of this year or 1Q of next.

You woke me up with that one. Is that an announcement from
MS -- or wishful thinking? (Noting that it's often hard to
tell the difference ;-)

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Seth wrote:
>> ...the SP1 release due out 4Q of this year or 1Q of next.

> You woke me up with that one. Is that an announcement from
> MS -- or wishful thinking? (Noting that it's often hard to
> tell the difference ;-)

Announced. All my bookmarks for it however require a login. Google shows
it being reported by many reputable news agencies. Sadly that is the best
proof I can provide as most of my information is under NDA.

But basically Microsoft is moving to a 12month SP cycle rather than the
usual 18months (at least for SP1 releases) as it has become fairly industry
standard to not deploy a new OS till SP1. Bump up the timetable for SP1,
quicken the pace of adoption.

Will14

Re: Unable in Install Windows Vista Ultimate
So am I correct in my thinking that I have a $300 frisbee until a year from
now... in which case I would still need to acquire a new cd? Will it be
compatible with the new P35 motherboards or is my best bet downgrading to
some old crap. I suppose due to compatibility issues in vista no one is
really moving to DX10 anyway so I don't have to worry. Oh so if I find the
correct driver, I guess I'll look next HDD I buy, then try a few more
drivers, ty.

"Seth" wrote:

> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Seth wrote:
> >> ...the SP1 release due out 4Q of this year or 1Q of next.

> > You woke me up with that one. Is that an announcement from
> > MS -- or wishful thinking? (Noting that it's often hard to
> > tell the difference ;-)

> Announced. All my bookmarks for it however require a login. Google shows
> it being reported by many reputable news agencies. Sadly that is the best
> proof I can provide as most of my information is under NDA.
>
> But basically Microsoft is moving to a 12month SP cycle rather than the
> usual 18months (at least for SP1 releases) as it has become fairly industry
> standard to not deploy a new OS till SP1. Bump up the timetable for SP1,
> quicken the pace of adoption.

jerryw4386

"Will14" wrote:

> So am I correct in my thinking that I have a $300 frisbee until a year from
> now... in which case I would still need to acquire a new cd? Will it be
> compatible with the new P35 motherboards or is my best bet downgrading to
> some old crap. I suppose due to compatibility issues in vista no one is
> really moving to DX10 anyway so I don't have to worry. Oh so if I find the
> correct driver, I guess I'll look next HDD I buy, then try a few more
> drivers, ty.
>
> "Seth" wrote:
>
> > "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > You woke me up with that one. Is that an announcement from
> > > MS -- or wishful thinking? (Noting that it's often hard to
> > > tell the difference ;-)

> > Announced. All my bookmarks for it however require a login. Google shows
> > it being reported by many reputable news agencies. Sadly that is the best
> > proof I can provide as most of my information is under NDA.
> >
> > But basically Microsoft is moving to a 12month SP cycle rather than the
> > usual 18months (at least for SP1 releases) as it has become fairly industry
> > standard to not deploy a new OS till SP1. Bump up the timetable for SP1,
> > quicken the pace of adoption.
> >
> > Hi Will14

You are doing something wrong on that board it will work with Vista32\64 bit
I have one that is just 4 days old and have both Vista 32\64 bit Ultimate on
it.
do your home work on it , live and learn.
See Yea
Randy

RE: Unable in Install Windows Vista Ultimate
hello will14,
you want to install vista on sata hard disk, right?
here are some useful information for you.
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ta_drivers.htm