REinstalling Vista on the same machine.

Jimmy Walsh

REinstalling Vista on the same machine.
My install of Vista got corrupted and kept BSOD and shutting down.

So after desperately trying to repair the original install i gave up and
reinstalled from the disc supplied by the builder.

After trying to activate this install I am told that the product key is
already in use??

and my copy of windows will stop working after 29 days?

how do I get around this?
John Barnett MVP

Re: REinstalling Vista on the same machine.
Telephone the Windows activation line. Click the activation option in Vista
as you have previously done only this time select the telephone option. A
free phone (toll free) number will appear which you should call. You need to
be in front of your pc when you call as you will need to type a set of
numbers into your telephone keypad (these will appear on your pc screen). In
return the automated activation line will give you another set of numbers
which you will need to type into the dialogue box on your computer screen to
activate vista. If activation is refused then stay on the line and you will
be transferred to a 'real' person who can guide you through the process.
Obviously you will probably have to tell them what has happened, i.e., your
BSOD etc.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Jimmy Walsh" <Jimmy Walsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My install of Vista got corrupted and kept BSOD and shutting down.
>
> So after desperately trying to repair the original install i gave up and
> reinstalled from the disc supplied by the builder.
>
> After trying to activate this install I am told that the product key is
> already in use??
>
> and my copy of windows will stop working after 29 days?
>
> how do I get around this?

PvdG42

Re: REinstalling Vista on the same machine.

"Jimmy Walsh" <Jimmy Walsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My install of Vista got corrupted and kept BSOD and shutting down.
>
> So after desperately trying to repair the original install i gave up and
> reinstalled from the disc supplied by the builder.
>
> After trying to activate this install I am told that the product key is
> already in use??
>
> and my copy of windows will stop working after 29 days?
>
> how do I get around this?

Have you contacted the builder? It sounds like you have an OEM Vista where
the system builder has agreed to assume all support responsibilities for the
OEM software installed on your PC.

Richard Urban

Re: REinstalling Vista on the same machine.
At this point it has nothing to do with OEM or a system builder.

All he has to do is to reactivate his system via telephone. If the number
the system builder gave him is not valid, then he must contact that person.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"PvdG42" <pvdg@toadstool.edu> wrote in message

> "Jimmy Walsh" <Jimmy Walsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My install of Vista got corrupted and kept BSOD and shutting down.
>>
>> So after desperately trying to repair the original install i gave up and
>> reinstalled from the disc supplied by the builder.
>>
>> After trying to activate this install I am told that the product key is
>> already in use??
>>
>> and my copy of windows will stop working after 29 days?
>>
>> how do I get around this?

> Have you contacted the builder? It sounds like you have an OEM Vista where
> the system builder has agreed to assume all support responsibilities for
> the
> OEM software installed on your PC.

Jimmy Walsh

Re: REinstalling Vista on the same machine.
Thanks guys!

I was starting to get worried!

I really appreciate people taking the time to reply!

> At this point it has nothing to do with OEM or a system builder.
>
> All he has to do is to reactivate his system via telephone. If the number
> the system builder gave him is not valid, then he must contact that
> person.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban