Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Enlarged text, windows messd up

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2007
Paul
 

Posts: n/a
Enlarged text, windows messd up
Hello everyone,

I increased the text size using the "change the size of text and icons"
option in Vista's "Ease of Access Center". I set a "custom DPI scaling" of
192. This text size is perfect for us, however here's the problem.

Certain kinds of windows are now so big they go off the screen. They won't
let me resize them! I cannot reach the "OK" button to click it.

I know about Vista's "text magnifier" however we find it cumbersome and
sluggish.

Thanks for your time and for any help you can provide,

Paul
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Enlarged text, windows messd up
You can use the keyboard to move the off screen window so that you can reach
the buttons.

Press ALT+SPACEBAR+M. Use the Arrow Keys to move the window. Press the left
mouse button when you are done.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User


"Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news9069517-B04A-4C14-93DB-898B4F5CCB29@microsoft.com...
> Hello everyone,
>
> I increased the text size using the "change the size of text and icons"
> option in Vista's "Ease of Access Center". I set a "custom DPI scaling"
> of
> 192. This text size is perfect for us, however here's the problem.
>
> Certain kinds of windows are now so big they go off the screen. They
> won't
> let me resize them! I cannot reach the "OK" button to click it.
>
> I know about Vista's "text magnifier" however we find it cumbersome and
> sluggish.
>
> Thanks for your time and for any help you can provide,
>
> Paul


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007
Paul
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Enlarged text, windows messd up
THANK YOU Ronnie, This solves our problem.

Sincerely,

Paul

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> You can use the keyboard to move the off screen window so that you can reach
> the buttons.
>
> Press ALT+SPACEBAR+M. Use the Arrow Keys to move the window. Press the left
> mouse button when you are done.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
>
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news9069517-B04A-4C14-93DB-898B4F5CCB29@microsoft.com...
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I increased the text size using the "change the size of text and icons"
> > option in Vista's "Ease of Access Center". I set a "custom DPI scaling"
> > of
> > 192. This text size is perfect for us, however here's the problem.
> >
> > Certain kinds of windows are now so big they go off the screen. They
> > won't
> > let me resize them! I cannot reach the "OK" button to click it.
> >
> > I know about Vista's "text magnifier" however we find it cumbersome and
> > sluggish.
> >
> > Thanks for your time and for any help you can provide,
> >
> > Paul

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007
Paul
 

Posts: n/a
Thanks, but there's still a problem …
Good afternoon Ronnie, and thanks for your reply

I hate to say this, but there's still a problem …

The windows are so big that the title-bar is flush with the top of the
screen, and the "OK" button is below the bottom of the screen.

When I do the alt-spacebar-M as you recommended, I can move the window
upward to get to the "OK" button. However, the moment I left-click, the
window immediately returns to its original position.

Sincerely,

Paul
———————————————— ———————————————
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> You can use the keyboard to move the off screen window so that you can reach
> the buttons.
>
> Press ALT+SPACEBAR+M. Use the Arrow Keys to move the window. Press the left
> mouse button when you are done.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
>
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news9069517-B04A-4C14-93DB-898B4F5CCB29@microsoft.com...
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I increased the text size using the "change the size of text and icons"
> > option in Vista's "Ease of Access Center". I set a "custom DPI scaling"
> > of
> > 192. This text size is perfect for us, however here's the problem.
> >
> > Certain kinds of windows are now so big they go off the screen. They
> > won't
> > let me resize them! I cannot reach the "OK" button to click it.
> >
> > I know about Vista's "text magnifier" however we find it cumbersome and
> > sluggish.
> >
> > Thanks for your time and for any help you can provide,
> >
> > Paul

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007
mikeyhsd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thanks, but there's still a problem …
is your monitor setup correctly. sometimes there are buttons on the monitor to adjust screen to optimum.
or possible the refresh rate is not set correctly.



mikeyhsd@comcast.net



"Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C018AC0A-1B33-4A3B-A782-5A0527D5823C@microsoft.com...
Good afternoon Ronnie, and thanks for your reply

I hate to say this, but there's still a problem …

The windows are so big that the title-bar is flush with the top of the
screen, and the "OK" button is below the bottom of the screen.

When I do the alt-spacebar-M as you recommended, I can move the window
upward to get to the "OK" button. However, the moment I left-click, the
window immediately returns to its original position.

Sincerely,

Paul
———————————————— ———————————————
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> You can use the keyboard to move the off screen window so that you can reach
> the buttons.
>
> Press ALT+SPACEBAR+M. Use the Arrow Keys to move the window. Press the left
> mouse button when you are done.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
>
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news9069517-B04A-4C14-93DB-898B4F5CCB29@microsoft.com...
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I increased the text size using the "change the size of text and icons"
> > option in Vista's "Ease of Access Center". I set a "custom DPI scaling"
> > of
> > 192. This text size is perfect for us, however here's the problem.
> >
> > Certain kinds of windows are now so big they go off the screen. They
> > won't
> > let me resize them! I cannot reach the "OK" button to click it.
> >
> > I know about Vista's "text magnifier" however we find it cumbersome and
> > sluggish.
> >
> > Thanks for your time and for any help you can provide,
> >
> > Paul

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thanks, but there's still a problem …
Paul

You may need to set a higher screen resolution. Open Control Panel and
select Adjust Screen Resolution in the Appearance and Personalization
section. Move the Resolution Slider one notch to the right and click
Apply/OK. You may need to go back and set the resolution higher, if this
isn't enough.

If adjusting the resolution does not fix the problem, you may need to adjust
the DPI to a slightly lower setting.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User


"Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C018AC0A-1B33-4A3B-A782-5A0527D5823C@microsoft.com...
> Good afternoon Ronnie, and thanks for your reply
>
> I hate to say this, but there's still a problem …
>
> The windows are so big that the title-bar is flush with the top of the
> screen, and the "OK" button is below the bottom of the screen.
>
> When I do the alt-spacebar-M as you recommended, I can move the window
> upward to get to the "OK" button. However, the moment I left-click, the
> window immediately returns to its original position.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Paul
> ———————————————— ———————————————
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> You can use the keyboard to move the off screen window so that you can
>> reach
>> the buttons.
>>
>> Press ALT+SPACEBAR+M. Use the Arrow Keys to move the window. Press the
>> left
>> mouse button when you are done.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>>
>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news9069517-B04A-4C14-93DB-898B4F5CCB29@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello everyone,
>> >
>> > I increased the text size using the "change the size of text and icons"
>> > option in Vista's "Ease of Access Center". I set a "custom DPI
>> > scaling"
>> > of
>> > 192. This text size is perfect for us, however here's the problem.
>> >
>> > Certain kinds of windows are now so big they go off the screen. They
>> > won't
>> > let me resize them! I cannot reach the "OK" button to click it.
>> >
>> > I know about Vista's "text magnifier" however we find it cumbersome and
>> > sluggish.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your time and for any help you can provide,
>> >
>> > Paul

>>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2007
Paul
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thanks, but there's still a problem …
It looks like we have to set the DPI to a lower setting. Bummer! 200 DPI
was perfect for us. The screen resolution is already at the highest setting
(1280x1024).

Paul
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Paul
>
> You may need to set a higher screen resolution. Open Control Panel and
> select Adjust Screen Resolution in the Appearance and Personalization
> section. Move the Resolution Slider one notch to the right and click
> Apply/OK. You may need to go back and set the resolution higher, if this
> isn't enough.
>
> If adjusting the resolution does not fix the problem, you may need to adjust
> the DPI to a slightly lower setting.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
>
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C018AC0A-1B33-4A3B-A782-5A0527D5823C@microsoft.com...
> > Good afternoon Ronnie, and thanks for your reply
> >
> > I hate to say this, but there's still a problem …
> >
> > The windows are so big that the title-bar is flush with the top of the
> > screen, and the "OK" button is below the bottom of the screen.
> >
> > When I do the alt-spacebar-M as you recommended, I can move the window
> > upward to get to the "OK" button. However, the moment I left-click, the
> > window immediately returns to its original position.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Paul

>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2007
Paul
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thanks, but there's still a problem …
Well, my screen refresh rate is at 75 Hz (to avoid flicker) and the buttons
on the bottom of the monitor are the standard ones. They adjust for
horizontal size/position and vertical size/position of the picture as well as
color, brightness, sharpness, and contrast. I thought my monitor was set up
correctly; perhaps is isn't.

Paul

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> is your monitor setup correctly. sometimes there are buttons on the monitor to adjust screen to optimum.
> or possible the refresh rate is not set correctly.
>
>
>
> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2007
JW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thanks, but there's still a problem …
I have not been following this thread so bear with me if this has already
been covered.
If you have to lower the DPI setting to reduce the size of things how come
you state that 200dpi was perfect for you?
I use 120dpi on my 1280x1024 flat panel which is also my resolution setting.
"Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5FEE0BB2-A8A9-4F27-95BA-DD6C98154455@microsoft.com...
> It looks like we have to set the DPI to a lower setting. Bummer! 200 DPI
> was perfect for us. The screen resolution is already at the highest
> setting
> (1280x1024).
>
> Paul
> ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Paul
>>
>> You may need to set a higher screen resolution. Open Control Panel and
>> select Adjust Screen Resolution in the Appearance and Personalization
>> section. Move the Resolution Slider one notch to the right and click
>> Apply/OK. You may need to go back and set the resolution higher, if this
>> isn't enough.
>>
>> If adjusting the resolution does not fix the problem, you may need to
>> adjust
>> the DPI to a slightly lower setting.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>>
>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:C018AC0A-1B33-4A3B-A782-5A0527D5823C@microsoft.com...
>> > Good afternoon Ronnie, and thanks for your reply
>> >
>> > I hate to say this, but there's still a problem …
>> >
>> > The windows are so big that the title-bar is flush with the top of the
>> > screen, and the "OK" button is below the bottom of the screen.
>> >
>> > When I do the alt-spacebar-M as you recommended, I can move the window
>> > upward to get to the "OK" button. However, the moment I left-click,
>> > the
>> > window immediately returns to its original position.
>> >
>> > Sincerely,
>> >
>> > Paul

>>


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2007
Paul
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thanks, but there's still a problem …
I said that 200 DPI was perfect because there are elderly people here who
have trouble reading small print. 200 DPI was comfotable for them.

However at 200 DPI, some of the windows (esp. the system setting windows)
are so big that the top is flush with the top of the screen and the bottom
goes off the bottom of the screen. I can't resize them, and I can't reach
the "OK" button. "ALT+spacebar+M" and the magnifier was already tried but it
had problems.

That's why I was forced to reduce the DPI.

Paul

———————————————— ——
"JW" wrote:

> I have not been following this thread so bear with me if this has already
> been covered.
> If you have to lower the DPI setting to reduce the size of things how come
> you state that 200dpi was perfect for you?
> I use 120dpi on my 1280x1024 flat panel which is also my resolution setting.
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5FEE0BB2-A8A9-4F27-95BA-DD6C98154455@microsoft.com...
> > It looks like we have to set the DPI to a lower setting. Bummer! 200 DPI
> > was perfect for us. The screen resolution is already at the highest
> > setting
> > (1280x1024).
> >
> > Paul


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
re text size in windows mail inbox =?Utf-8?B?TktvbmNpdXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 4 04-15-2007 20:17
Is Windows Vista index-based full-text search powerful enough? Peter Frank microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 47 03-23-2007 19:54
Windows Photo Gallery gives a pink cast to all my enlarged images? avalanche@snowbound.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-01-2007 05:18
moving windows with text in title bar =?Utf-8?B?SEFNQ2hyaXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-01-2007 03:41
Folder Text =?Utf-8?B?S2Vlcw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 02-28-2007 14:15




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:09.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120