Vista fails to start after BSOD

Dave Wakefield

Vista fails to start after BSOD
I've failed to troubleshoot this problem on my own for the last four days.
After clean install of Vista Home Premium as the the only OS on the drive,
Vista will eventually BSOD. Upon restart, Vista fails to start and gives the
following message:

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Automatic repair using Vista install disk fail. The repair attempts, but
fails, to add the following startup options:
Name: (recovered)
Windows Device: Partition=C: (24350 MB)

Startup Repair fails and reports the following problem signature:
Event Name: StartupRepair V2
Signature 01: ExternaMedia
Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Signature 03: 0
Signature 04: 65537
Signature 05: unknown
Signature 06: NoOsinstalled
Signature 07: 0
Signature 08: 1
Signature 09: FixPartitionTable
Signature 10: 1392
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Manual repair from KB article 927392 had no effect
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.../927392/en-us). In fact, after
rebuilding the BCD and attempting file operations on it, i.e. enum, attrib,
etc., BCD is reported as not found.

Memory and hard drive diagnostics pass.

Clean install of Windows XP Pro worked fine. Deleted partition and clean
installed Ubuntu Linux 7.0.4, which also worked fine.

After successive clean reinstalls of Vista as the only OS on one large
partition, same problem occurs within 45 minutes of starting the OS for the
first time, sometimes during installation, sometimes after logon. This
failure is consistent and repeatable.

So, my question is why the BSOD that repeatedly makes Vista unbootable and
unrepairable?

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista fails to start after BSOD
Hi,

Just a thought, but do you have any AV program that may be loading in real
mode, or any BIOS-based antivirus (boot time protection) that is not
disabled when you try to correct this problem?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dave Wakefield" <Dave Wakefield@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've failed to troubleshoot this problem on my own for the last four days.
> After clean install of Vista Home Premium as the the only OS on the drive,
> Vista will eventually BSOD. Upon restart, Vista fails to start and gives
> the
> following message:
>
> File: \Boot\BCD
> Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration
> data.
>
> Automatic repair using Vista install disk fail. The repair attempts, but
> fails, to add the following startup options:
> Name: (recovered)
> Windows Device: Partition=C: (24350 MB)
>
> Startup Repair fails and reports the following problem signature:
> Event Name: StartupRepair V2
> Signature 01: ExternaMedia
> Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
> Signature 03: 0
> Signature 04: 65537
> Signature 05: unknown
> Signature 06: NoOsinstalled
> Signature 07: 0
> Signature 08: 1
> Signature 09: FixPartitionTable
> Signature 10: 1392
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> Manual repair from KB article 927392 had no effect
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.../927392/en-us). In fact,
> after
> rebuilding the BCD and attempting file operations on it, i.e. enum,
> attrib,
> etc., BCD is reported as not found.
>
> Memory and hard drive diagnostics pass.
>
> Clean install of Windows XP Pro worked fine. Deleted partition and clean
> installed Ubuntu Linux 7.0.4, which also worked fine.
>
> After successive clean reinstalls of Vista as the only OS on one large
> partition, same problem occurs within 45 minutes of starting the OS for
> the
> first time, sometimes during installation, sometimes after logon. This
> failure is consistent and repeatable.
>
> So, my question is why the BSOD that repeatedly makes Vista unbootable and
> unrepairable?

Dave Wakefield

Re: Vista fails to start after BSOD
Rick,
Thanks for the advice. No AV program installed yet and I double-checked
that the MBR protection in the BIOS is disabled.

Dave

James Matthews

Re: Vista fails to start after BSOD
Whats the message on the BSOD

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/watches.asp?Brand=39
> [...]
>> >
>> > Manual repair from KB article 927392 had no effect
>> > (http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/927392/en-us). In fact,
>> > after
>> > rebuilding the BCD and attempting file operations on it, i.e. enum,
>> > attrib,
>> > etc., BCD is reported as not found.
>> >
>> > Memory and hard drive diagnostics pass.
>> >
>> > Clean install of Windows XP Pro worked fine. Deleted partition and
>> > clean
>> > installed Ubuntu Linux 7.0.4, which also worked fine.
>> >
>> > After successive clean reinstalls of Vista as the only OS on one large
>> > partition, same problem occurs within 45 minutes of starting the OS for
>> > the
>> > first time, sometimes during installation, sometimes after logon. This
>> > failure is consistent and repeatable.
>> >
>> > So, my question is why the BSOD that repeatedly makes Vista unbootable

Dave Wakefield

Re: Vista fails to start after BSOD
The BSOD is only on the screen for a split second, then the machine does a
warm start.

Hi Dave,

What's the hardware configuration?

--

news0FC21A1-B993-446B-AD5B-548291DC508C@microsoft.com...
> The BSOD is only on the screen for a split second, then the machine does a
> warm start.
>
> "James Matthews" wrote:
>
>> Whats the message on the BSOD
>>
>> --
>>
>> http://www.goldwatches.com/watches.asp?Brand=39
>> "Dave Wakefield" <DaveWakefield@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Rick,
>> > Thanks for the advice. No AV program installed yet and I
>> > double-checked
>> > that the MBR protection in the BIOS is disabled.
>> >
>> > Dave

Carrot30

Re: Vista fails to start after BSOD

Hi,

I've been having frequent BSOD issues with Vista x64, this most
commonly happens on boot up. :cry: Can any one help?

The BSOD report data is as follows:

BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000041284
BCP2: 0000000010034001
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF70000081000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: e0372dba-28dc-498a-9e64-b0be0dd5dbed

If any one can advise me on how to resolve this I would be extremely
grateful.

thanks,

Carrot

--