What port is used to license servers?

Louise Hoffman

What port is used to license servers?
Dear readers

I have been told that Vista needs to connect to a license server in
order to work. Does anyone know what TCP/IP port that is?

Lots of love,
Louise

Tim

Re: What port is used to license servers?
I'm not an expert in such matters...but if it's really asking for a license
server, it sounds like you have an enterprise or some volume license copy of
Vista (i.e. not a retail version from CompUSA or Newegg). Are you installing
this in a corporate environment or home? If at home, you might want to
review where you got your copy of Vista and what the EULA says about how it
can be used.

If you have a retail version then the direct answer to your question is no,
Vista does not connect to a license server in order to work (unless you are
referring to the activation process).

Tim

"Louise Hoffman" <louise.hoffman@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1181583381.474217.280950@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> Dear readers
>
> I have been told that Vista needs to connect to a license server in
> order to work. Does anyone know what TCP/IP port that is?
>
> Lots of love,
> Louise

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: What port is used to license servers?
Louise

This message only appears if you are using a Volume License Product Key.
This type of key is usually sold to companies who purchase multiple copies
of Vista for installation in a corporate network environment. If this
describes your situation, you need to contact your system administrator for
the activation procedure.

Error message when you try to activate Windows Vista: "An error has
occurred":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931276

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Louise Hoffman" <louise.hoffman@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1181583381.474217.280950@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> Dear readers
>
> I have been told that Vista needs to connect to a license server in
> order to work. Does anyone know what TCP/IP port that is?
>
> Lots of love,
> Louise

Seth

Re: What port is used to license servers?
"Louise Hoffman" <louise.hoffman@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1181583381.474217.280950@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> Dear readers
>
> I have been told that Vista needs to connect to a license server in
> order to work. Does anyone know what TCP/IP port that is?

Default port is 1688, but in a KMS environment you can use whatever port you
want by setting the listening port on the KMS server and specifying the
custom port on the command line on the client when using SLMGR.VBS.

Louise Hoffman

Re: What port is used to license servers?
> If you have a retail version then the direct answer to your question is no,
> Vista does not connect to a license server in order to work (unless you are
> referring to the activation process).

I am using the version that came with my Dell. Is that retail?

During the activation nothing happens, so I thought it could be
something with closed TCP/IP ports. I live at a college where almost
all ports a closed except port 80.

So I thought if I could find the port number that Vista uses, I could
ask for this port to be opened. That's what they told me in the store
where I bought the computer.

Hugs,
Louise

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: What port is used to license servers?
Louise

Your best solution would be to simply use the phone-in activation option
when you start the activation wizard. It takes about 5 minutes.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

news:1181685130.950333.132620@d30g2000prg.googlegr oups.com...