Dual boot with preinstalled Vista

CLD11787

Dual boot with preinstalled Vista
My computer has Vista on it and I want to install XP. I will use XP more and
so i'd like to boot with it at startup. I read that you have to have an
older version of Windows installed in order to dual boot. 1)So, do i need to
remove Vista then? My computer didn't come with the Vista CD at least I
don't remember. Unfortuently, i may have accidently thrown out the info and
stuff for the computer. Partition: I created a New Volume and shrank
volume. I backed up files, etc. I downloaded Virtual PC 2007 which "allows
you to maintain the compatibility of legacy and custom applications during
migration to new operating systems and increases the efficiency of support,
development, and training staffs."
2) what do I do now?
Dave

Re: Dual boot with preinstalled Vista
You are talking about 2 different things..

VPC lets you install another operating system, like XP inside of your
regular OS (Vista). You don't need separate partitions or dual booting.

Yes, you can install XP into another partition and dual boot between Vista
and XP. However, when you install XP, it will wipe out your Vista boot
files. You will have to boot with your Vista DVD after installing XP, and
perform a repair.

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

"CLD11787" <CLD11787@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer has Vista on it and I want to install XP. I will use XP more
> and
> so i'd like to boot with it at startup. I read that you have to have an
> older version of Windows installed in order to dual boot. 1)So, do i need
> remove Vista then? My computer didn't come with the Vista CD at least I
> don't remember. Unfortuently, i may have accidently thrown out the info
> and
> stuff for the computer. Partition: I created a New Volume and shrank
> volume. I backed up files, etc. I downloaded Virtual PC 2007 which
> "allows
> you to maintain the compatibility of legacy and custom applications during
> migration to new operating systems and increases the efficiency of
> support,
> development, and training staffs."
> 2) what do I do now?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Dual boot with preinstalled Vista
No you don't have to uninstall Vista. Check out this link from my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm

One aspect of dual booting XP and Vista is that, when you boot to XP you
loose all system restore points and shadow copies on Vista. Microsoft are
not going to repair this issue. If you are using Vista ultimate you can get
round this problem by using the Bitlocker feature in Vista ultimate.
Alternatively you could try a third party boot manager such as BootitNG.

The other alternative is to use a virtual machine such as VPC 2007. This of
course is free, but I much prefer VMware workstation 6.0, this is the
application I use to run XP on a virtual machine, but you are looking at
spending $200 or so.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"CLD11787" <CLD11787@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer has Vista on it and I want to install XP. I will use XP more
> and
> so i'd like to boot with it at startup. I read that you have to have an
> older version of Windows installed in order to dual boot. 1)So, do i need
> remove Vista then? My computer didn't come with the Vista CD at least I
> don't remember. Unfortuently, i may have accidently thrown out the info
> and
> stuff for the computer. Partition: I created a New Volume and shrank
> volume. I backed up files, etc. I downloaded Virtual PC 2007 which
> "allows
> you to maintain the compatibility of legacy and custom applications during
> migration to new operating systems and increases the efficiency of
> support,
> development, and training staffs."
> 2) what do I do now?

CLD11787

Re: Dual boot with preinstalled Vista
I have read that link many times. Shift + F10 doesn't work for some reason