Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT

jdempstex

Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT
I bought a lap-top with Vista Ult 64-BIT pre-installed only to find
Australia's major ISP Telstra does not support 64-BIT for internet access.
The lap-top vendor has supplied a separate copy of Vista Ultimate 32-BIT for
me to install. The lap-top has 2 separate drives. Can I run the two platforms
- one on each drive as a dual boot configuration. If so would appreciate any
tips on installing the 32-BIT version on the slave drive. Will I need to
physically modify boot files?

Many thanks
--
jdempstex
mikeyhsd

Re: Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT
that would imply ONE license so no you cannot run both at the same time. not for over 30 days anyway.

does the isp require you to run special program to access internet.

have you tried to access internet and get errors, maybe posting the information here would give someone info to help you with.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"jdempstex" <jdempstex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC116698-39D3-4E3C-B90F-07B6225F6EB7@microsoft.com...
I bought a lap-top with Vista Ult 64-BIT pre-installed only to find
Australia's major ISP Telstra does not support 64-BIT for internet access.
The lap-top vendor has supplied a separate copy of Vista Ultimate 32-BIT for
me to install. The lap-top has 2 separate drives. Can I run the two platforms
- one on each drive as a dual boot configuration. If so would appreciate any
tips on installing the 32-BIT version on the slave drive. Will I need to
physically modify boot files?

Many thanks
--
jdempstex
jdempstex

Re: Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT
Thanks mikeyhsd .....but no two separate licenses (the 32-BIT second version
has its own key). We have now installed and all is well except we cannot boot
the original 64-Bit version on drive C. The two versions are shown at bootup
with the latest install first...boots fine. Looks as if the 2nd install
overwrote the 64-bit boot record????? or something
--
jdempstex

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> that would imply ONE license so no you cannot run both at the same time. not for over 30 days anyway.
>
> does the isp require you to run special program to access internet.
>
> have you tried to access internet and get errors, maybe posting the information here would give someone info to help you with.
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "jdempstex" <jdempstex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC116698-39D3-4E3C-B90F-07B6225F6EB7@microsoft.com...
> I bought a lap-top with Vista Ult 64-BIT pre-installed only to find
> Australia's major ISP Telstra does not support 64-BIT for internet access.
> The lap-top vendor has supplied a separate copy of Vista Ultimate 32-BIT for
> me to install. The lap-top has 2 separate drives. Can I run the two platforms
> - one on each drive as a dual boot configuration. If so would appreciate any
> tips on installing the 32-BIT version on the slave drive. Will I need to
> physically modify boot files?
>
> Many thanks
> --
> jdempstex

Tim

Re: Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT
If you change the installation folder from the original "C:Windows",
you might be able to install both without an overwright. Just make sure that
you leave the 64bit version as the factory "C:Windows" and change the other
to something like "D(or whatever your other drive is):WINDOWS. The all caps
will make a difference.

borlandjr@comcast.net

> Thanks mikeyhsd .....but no two separate licenses (the 32-BIT second
> version
> has its own key). We have now installed and all is well except we cannot
> boot
> the original 64-Bit version on drive C. The two versions are shown at
> bootup
> with the latest install first...boots fine. Looks as if the 2nd install
> overwrote the 64-bit boot record????? or something
> --
> jdempstex
>

> "mikeyhsd" wrote:
>
>> that would imply ONE license so no you cannot run both at the same time.
>> not for over 30 days anyway.
>>
>> does the isp require you to run special program to access internet.
>>
>> have you tried to access internet and get errors, maybe posting the
>> information here would give someone info to help you with.
>>

>> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>>

>> "jdempstex" <jdempstex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I bought a lap-top with Vista Ult 64-BIT pre-installed only to find
>> Australia's major ISP Telstra does not support 64-BIT for internet
>> access.
>> The lap-top vendor has supplied a separate copy of Vista Ultimate
>> 32-BIT for
>> me to install. The lap-top has 2 separate drives. Can I run the two
>> platforms
>> - one on each drive as a dual boot configuration. If so would
>> appreciate any
>> tips on installing the 32-BIT version on the slave drive. Will I need
>> physically modify boot files?
>>
>> Many thanks
>> --
>> jdempstex

jdempstex

Re: Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT
Thank you Tim....have successfully installed the new 32-BIT vista on the
second drive. It boots by default. Cant boot now the 64-BIT system. If I run
VistaBootPro bootloader can I rectify this does anyone know?
--
jdempstex

"Tim" wrote:

> If you change the installation folder from the original "C:Windows",
> you might be able to install both without an overwright. Just make sure that
> you leave the 64bit version as the factory "C:Windows" and change the other
> to something like "D(or whatever your other drive is):WINDOWS. The all caps
> will make a difference.
>
> borlandjr@comcast.net
>

> "jdempstex" <jdempstex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks mikeyhsd .....but no two separate licenses (the 32-BIT second
> > version
> > has its own key). We have now installed and all is well except we cannot
> > boot
> > the original 64-Bit version on drive C. The two versions are shown at
> > bootup
> > with the latest install first...boots fine. Looks as if the 2nd install
> > overwrote the 64-bit boot record????? or something
> > --
> > jdempstex
> >

> > "mikeyhsd" wrote:
> >
> >> that would imply ONE license so no you cannot run both at the same time.
> >> not for over 30 days anyway.
> >>
> >> does the isp require you to run special program to access internet.
> >>
> >> have you tried to access internet and get errors, maybe posting the
> >> information here would give someone info to help you with.
> >>

> >> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
> >>

> >> "jdempstex" <jdempstex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I bought a lap-top with Vista Ult 64-BIT pre-installed only to find
> >> Australia's major ISP Telstra does not support 64-BIT for internet
> >> access.
> >> The lap-top vendor has supplied a separate copy of Vista Ultimate
> >> 32-BIT for
> >> me to install. The lap-top has 2 separate drives. Can I run the two
> >> platforms
> >> - one on each drive as a dual boot configuration. If so would
> >> appreciate any
> >> tips on installing the 32-BIT version on the slave drive. Will I need
> >> physically modify boot files?
> >>
> >> Many thanks
> >> --
> >> jdempstex

Tim

Re: Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT
You could try the "virtual machine" from microsoft, which is available on
Microsoft.com.
Install it on windows XP, and run any verion of windows you please, without
a second boot.
let me know how it works

Borlandjr@comcast.net

"Tim" <borlandjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> If you change the installation folder from the original "C:Windows",
> you might be able to install both without an overwright. Just make sure
> that you leave the 64bit version as the factory "C:Windows" and change the
> other to something like "D(or whatever your other drive is):WINDOWS. The
> all caps will make a difference.
>
> borlandjr@comcast.net
>

> "jdempstex" <jdempstex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks mikeyhsd .....but no two separate licenses (the 32-BIT second
>> version
>> has its own key). We have now installed and all is well except we cannot
>> boot
>> the original 64-Bit version on drive C. The two versions are shown at
>> bootup
>> with the latest install first...boots fine. Looks as if the 2nd install
>> overwrote the 64-bit boot record????? or something
>> --
>> jdempstex
>>

>> "mikeyhsd" wrote:
>>
>>> that would imply ONE license so no you cannot run both at the same time.
>>> not for over 30 days anyway.
>>>
>>> does the isp require you to run special program to access internet.
>>>
>>> have you tried to access internet and get errors, maybe posting the
>>> information here would give someone info to help you with.
>>>

>>> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>>>

>>> "jdempstex" <jdempstex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I bought a lap-top with Vista Ult 64-BIT pre-installed only to find
>>> Australia's major ISP Telstra does not support 64-BIT for internet
>>> access.
>>> The lap-top vendor has supplied a separate copy of Vista Ultimate
>>> 32-BIT for
>>> me to install. The lap-top has 2 separate drives. Can I run the two
>>> platforms
>>> - one on each drive as a dual boot configuration. If so would
>>> appreciate any
>>> tips on installing the 32-BIT version on the slave drive. Will I need
>>> physically modify boot files?
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>> --
>>> jdempstex

mikeyhsd

Re: Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT
VistaBootPro may be able to sort it out for you.
depends on where/how you installed the second os.
if you did not change the install to location it probably wiped out the 64 bit version.

VPC2007 would not help at this point as it does not support 64 bit guests.
what you could do is to start over, install the 64 bit version.\
install VPC2007 and then install the 32 bit version as a guest under VPC2007.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net