Delete Dual Boot

BobB

Delete Dual Boot
Comuter has 3 hard drives.

I installed XP on one and Vista on another with dual boot.

Vista worked well and ran all my programs.

I reformatd the driv with Vista and installed Vista on the XP drive as a
cleam install. But at boot the dual boot opion is still showing up. The 2
options are Vista and Vista.

I'd like to get rid of the dual boot.

In addition, on the third drive there is a boot folder and a bootmgr file
plus a bootsect.bak file. Can I just delete these fils?

Thanks, I'll appreciate the help,

JW

Re: Delete Dual Boot
You could reduce the time that the dual boot options are displayed to ZERO
which would at least eliminate any delays at boot time.
"BobB" <BobB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Comuter has 3 hard drives.
>
> I installed XP on one and Vista on another with dual boot.
>
> Vista worked well and ran all my programs.
>
> I reformatd the driv with Vista and installed Vista on the XP drive as a
> cleam install. But at boot the dual boot opion is still showing up. The 2
> options are Vista and Vista.
>
> I'd like to get rid of the dual boot.
>
> In addition, on the third drive there is a boot folder and a bootmgr file
> plus a bootsect.bak file. Can I just delete these fils?
>
> Thanks, I'll appreciate the help,

Don

Re: Delete Dual Boot
BobB wrote:
> Comuter has 3 hard drives.
>
> I installed XP on one and Vista on another with dual boot.
>
> Vista worked well and ran all my programs.
>
> I reformatd the driv with Vista and installed Vista on the XP drive as a
> cleam install. But at boot the dual boot opion is still showing up. The 2
> options are Vista and Vista.
>
> I'd like to get rid of the dual boot.

Start -> run --> msconfig (as Administrator, of course)
The "Boot" tab should allow you to do what you want. Be careful to
delete the right one! Unless you took great pains to do otherwise,
your working Vista will be installed on C: so don't delete that one.

> In addition, on the third drive there is a boot folder and a bootmgr file
> plus a bootsect.bak file. Can I just delete these fils?

Yes, but only if you also have them on C:\ because C:\ is where they
belong.

BobB

Re: Delete Dual Boot
Don,

Thanks, Msconfig worked like a charm.

The Boot folder, and the files bootmgr and bootsect.bak are on the C drive
but Vista won't let me delete the Boot folder or the bootmgr..says files in
use. Is there a way to delete them.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.