Trail of Windows Vista

galia

Trail of Windows Vista
I'm really confused from the contradiction info regarding product key.
I'd like to download Windows Vista from the Internet and use it for a trail.

Is that possible and for which version?

Regards

Gallia

Peter Foldes

Re: Trail of Windows Vista
galia

Plain and simple NO. Trial of Vista is not longer available

--
Peter

"galia" <Jgalia@maxim.co.hn> wrote in message news:%23XSqQI1qHHA.3228@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> I'm really confused from the contradiction info regarding product key.
> I'd like to download Windows Vista from the Internet and use it for a trail.
>
> Is that possible and for which version?
>
> Regards
>
> Gallia

peter

Re: Trail of Windows Vista
use it as a trail to where.............????
peter
"galia" <Jgalia@maxim.co.hn> wrote in message
> I'm really confused from the contradiction info regarding product key.
> I'd like to download Windows Vista from the Internet and use it for a
> trail.
>
> Is that possible and for which version?
>
> Regards
>
> Gallia

Rick Rogers

Re: Trail of Windows Vista
Hi Gallia,

You can't download the full version outside of certain parter/MSDN/Technet
subscriptions. What you can do is borrow a friends generic OEM or retail
disk and install it without a Product Key. When you do, you will have an
option to choose which version you want to try, as all versions are on the
same disk, it's the Product Key that unlocks the various version features.
This install will last for 30 days before you are unable to use it (though
you will be prompted frequently to activate it by inserting a Product Key).
Should you choose to keep it, you will need to purchase your own disk (must
be the same type as the one you borrow, OEM and retail are not
interchangeable) and use the Product Key to activate it. It is important
that you install the same version that you are considering purchasing, as
you cannot simply switch later (like install Ultimate and then activate with
a Home Premium key).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"galia" <Jgalia@maxim.co.hn> wrote in message
> I'm really confused from the contradiction info regarding product key.
> I'd like to download Windows Vista from the Internet and use it for a
> trail.
>
> Is that possible and for which version?
>
> Regards
>
> Gallia

Mike Brannigan

Re: Trail of Windows Vista
> Hi Gallia,
>
> You can't download the full version outside of certain parter/MSDN/Technet
> subscriptions. What you can do is borrow a friends generic OEM or retail
> disk and install it without a Product Key. When you do, you will have an
> option to choose which version you want to try, as all versions are on the
> same disk, it's the Product Key that unlocks the various version features.
> This install will last for 30 days before you are unable to use it (though
> you will be prompted frequently to activate it by inserting a Product
> Key). Should you choose to keep it, you will need to purchase your own
> disk (must be the same type as the one you borrow, OEM and retail are not
> interchangeable) and use the Product Key to activate it. It is important
> that you install the same version that you are considering purchasing, as
> you cannot simply switch later (like install Ultimate and then activate
> with a Home Premium key).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

Rick,

Windows Vista is not available as a trial product.
You should not be advising people to install unlicensed software by
borrowing disks etc.
The ability to install the product without an activation key is not there
for use of the product as a trial.

--

Mike Brannigan
> Hi Gallia,
>
> You can't download the full version outside of certain parter/MSDN/Technet
> disk and install it without a Product Key. When you do, you will have an
> option to choose which version you want to try, as all versions are on the
> same disk, it's the Product Key that unlocks the various version features.
> This install will last for 30 days before you are unable to use it (though
> you will be prompted frequently to activate it by inserting a Product
> Key). Should you choose to keep it, you will need to purchase your own
> disk (must be the same type as the one you borrow, OEM and retail are not
> interchangeable) and use the Product Key to activate it. It is important
> that you install the same version that you are considering purchasing, as
> you cannot simply switch later (like install Ultimate and then activate
> with a Home Premium key).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "galia" <Jgalia@maxim.co.hn> wrote in message
>> I'm really confused from the contradiction info regarding product key.
>> I'd like to download Windows Vista from the Internet and use it for a
>> trail.
>>
>> Is that possible and for which version?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Gallia

Rick Rogers

Re: Trail of Windows Vista
Hi Mike,

I don't get into the licensing issues, as one can rarely conclusively "win"
the arguement. I concern myself with technical aspects, IE: can it be done
or can't it. OP's question was whether or not a trial version can be
downloaded and installed. It cannot be downloaded, at least not for the
average consumer through normal channels, but it can "technically" be
installed as a trial. While it's not meant to be used as a trial (or is it?
I'm still seeking a valid rationale for this change in the PK requirement,
and inquiries on my part to the licensing team of your former employer on
this and other issues have gone unanswered), the fact that the Product Key
doesn't have to be inserted initially does allow for this in a technical
sense. While it may not be in keeping with the license agreement - and I
fully understand both the spirit of the license as well as the literal
interpretation, this does not mean it cannot be done.

--

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
>> Hi Gallia,
>>
>> You can't download the full version outside of certain
>> parter/MSDN/Technet subscriptions. What you can do is borrow a friends
>> generic OEM or retail disk and install it without a Product Key. When you
>> do, you will have an option to choose which version you want to try, as
>> all versions are on the same disk, it's the Product Key that unlocks the
>> various version features. This install will last for 30 days before you
>> are unable to use it (though you will be prompted frequently to activate
>> it by inserting a Product Key). Should you choose to keep it, you will
>> need to purchase your own disk (must be the same type as the one you
>> borrow, OEM and retail are not interchangeable) and use the Product Key
>> to activate it. It is important that you install the same version that
>> you are considering purchasing, as you cannot simply switch later (like
>> install Ultimate and then activate with a Home Premium key).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

> Rick,
>
> Windows Vista is not available as a trial product.
> You should not be advising people to install unlicensed software by
> borrowing disks etc.
> The ability to install the product without an activation key is not there
> for use of the product as a trial.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan
>> Hi Gallia,
>>
>> You can't download the full version outside of certain
>> generic OEM or retail disk and install it without a Product Key. When you
>> do, you will have an option to choose which version you want to try, as
>> all versions are on the same disk, it's the Product Key that unlocks the
>> various version features. This install will last for 30 days before you
>> are unable to use it (though you will be prompted frequently to activate
>> it by inserting a Product Key). Should you choose to keep it, you will
>> need to purchase your own disk (must be the same type as the one you
>> borrow, OEM and retail are not interchangeable) and use the Product Key
>> to activate it. It is important that you install the same version that
>> you are considering purchasing, as you cannot simply switch later (like
>> install Ultimate and then activate with a Home Premium key).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "galia" <Jgalia@maxim.co.hn> wrote in message
>>> I'm really confused from the contradiction info regarding product key.
>>> I'd like to download Windows Vista from the Internet and use it for a
>>> trail.
>>>
>>> Is that possible and for which version?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Gallia

Mike Brannigan

Re: Trail of Windows Vista
Rick,

Many things "can be done" - this does not mean they should be.
Microsoft make all trial software available for use by the general public
via the microsoft.com web site.
If a trial/evaluation version of Windows Vista was legitimately available
for general public use (obviously members of other programs such as TechNet
get access to evaluation product) then it would be posted/made available
there.

--

Mike Brannigan