Windows Vista - Unregistering Product Key

Sopel

Windows Vista - Unregistering Product Key
I am reverting back to Windows XP, because Vista does not support many thigns
I intend to use. Therefore I want to uninstall Windows Vista.

I was wondering, how do you unregister a product key (through command
prompt) so that you can reuse it again in the future, I did it in the past
but I forgot what I typed in.

Thanks Greg
Kerry Brown

Re: Windows Vista - Unregistering Product Key
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 14:22:00 -0700, Sopel wrote:

> I am reverting back to Windows XP, because Vista does not support many thigns
> I intend to use. Therefore I want to uninstall Windows Vista.
>
> I was wondering, how do you unregister a product key (through command
> prompt) so that you can reuse it again in the future, I did it in the past
> but I forgot what I typed in.
>
> Thanks Greg

There is no way to deactivate a product key. If you wish to reuse it at a
later date you simply activate it again. As long as you are within the
terms of the license you will be able to activate it. It may require phone
activation as it's already been activated once.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Windows - Shell/User
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Windows Vista - Unregistering Product Key
Greg;
Whatever you did in the past through command prompt had nothing to do
with deactivating since there is no way to deactivate Windows.

Simply remove Windows from the computer.
When ready, install on the original or another computer (assuming
retail and not OEM) and Activate.
You may need to call Microsoft for activation depending if it is the
same computer and how much time has passed.

If Windows is OEM, you may not be able to install on a different
computer while retail can be transferred to a different computer.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Sopel" <Sopel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am reverting back to Windows XP, because Vista does not support
>many thigns
> I intend to use. Therefore I want to uninstall Windows Vista.
>
> I was wondering, how do you unregister a product key (through
> command
> prompt) so that you can reuse it again in the future, I did it in
> the past
> but I forgot what I typed in.
>
> Thanks Greg

Sopel

Re: Windows Vista - Unregistering Product Key
Thanks for the prompt response, but I got one more question for you, last
time i was removing Vista the Microsoft tech support told em to go to CMD
(command prompt thing) and type in a certain line, after I did that a window
poped up that my "product key is unregistered/deactivated, please restart
computer for this to take effect". I swear on my life it said that, how did
this happen then?

Thanks Greg

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Greg;
> Whatever you did in the past through command prompt had nothing to do
> with deactivating since there is no way to deactivate Windows.
>
> Simply remove Windows from the computer.
> When ready, install on the original or another computer (assuming
> retail and not OEM) and Activate.
> You may need to call Microsoft for activation depending if it is the
> same computer and how much time has passed.
>
> If Windows is OEM, you may not be able to install on a different
> computer while retail can be transferred to a different computer.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Sopel" <Sopel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am reverting back to Windows XP, because Vista does not support
> >many thigns
> > I intend to use. Therefore I want to uninstall Windows Vista.
> >
> > I was wondering, how do you unregister a product key (through
> > command
> > prompt) so that you can reuse it again in the future, I did it in
> > the past
> > but I forgot what I typed in.
> >
> > Thanks Greg

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Windows Vista - Unregistering Product Key
Greg;
I am unsure what you did with the command prompt.
Perhaps you used the option to change the Product Key.
On way is to right click My Computer and click Properties.
From there you can change the Product Key.
But that does not deactivate or unregister anything.

Also, Registration and Activation are different.
Activation is required for continued use of the software and includes
no personal information.
Registration is optional and does include personal information.